Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

ian

23 hours ago, Raven said:

Got it!

(But I've been at a beer tasting tonight and I'm not going to start it now!)

Nothing planned for tomorrow night, however...

Nothing planned, but stuff happened (i.e.more beer).

Have read the first chapter or so, however!

4 hours ago, Hayley said:

Got mine today! Have you tried the glow in the dark front cover out yet? It’s quite spooky! 

I've taken the dust jacket off my copy so I can read it without fear of damaging it. 

It is one of the glow in the dark versions, however, so I expect at some point I will be sitting in the dark marking "Oooo" noises.

That does happen fairly regularly, however...

19 hours ago, Raven said:

Nothing planned, but stuff happened (i.e.more beer).

Have read the first chapter or so, however!

I've taken the dust jacket off my copy so I can read it without fear of damaging it. 

It is one of the glow in the dark versions, however, so I expect at some point I will be sitting in the dark marking "Oooo" noises.

That does happen fairly regularly, however...

I'm part way through another book (although seriously tempted to give up on it) so I haven't started yet. Thoughts so far?? 

On 26/02/2020 at 12:33 PM, Athena said:

Oooh.. I loved them in Hot Fuzz!

Me too! Although it does make me wonder if they’ll go down a more comedic route with it. 

9 hours ago, Raven said:

Finished it tonight! 

Review at some point, but suffice to say; another enjoyable read!

Unbelievably, I haven’t started yet! The book I’m reading now is taking me ages, its pace is not one of its strong points but I feel like I’ve gone too far to give up on it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2020 at 10:23 PM, Raven said:

Having spent a good part of the afternoon reading I'm now about a third of the way through; good so far, but I do have a bit of a bugbear with it (will explain when I have finished it!)

I finished it yesterday so now I have to ask, what was the bugbear!? 

I will also admit that, although I loved it, I didn't love this one quite as much as the previous books. 

On 14/03/2020 at 6:02 PM, Hayley said:

I finished it yesterday so now I have to ask, what was the bugbear!? 

Spoiler

I found the - many, especially at first - Hitch-Hiker references distracting.  I get what he was trying to do, but it didn't really work for me.

I absolutely agree @Raven, I thought that's what it might be. 

Spoiler

If you hadn't at least seen the film, I think it would have been very confusing. Compared to book and film references in previous books, these seemed a bit too much, and too forced.

What did you think of the short story in the Waterstones edition?

2 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I absolutely agree @Raven, I thought that's what it might be. 

Hide contents

If you hadn't at least seen the film, I think it would have been very confusing. Compared to book and film references in previous books, these seemed a bit too much, and too forced.

Spoiler

I also don't think it was very realistic, because of copyright if nothing else!  I'm a big fan of the original radio series, and can still quote large parts of it verbatim, but I found this too much of a distraction.

Overall, and especially after the last book, this one feels like a gentle reset, with a lot of new characters and ideas being added to the universe that I suspect Aaronovitch will be making use of in later novels.

What did you think of the short story in the Waterstones edition?

I really enjoyed it.  It was different from most of the previous ones and - unlike October Man - the first person narrative didn't feel like it was a Peter clone telling the story.

2 minutes ago, Raven said:

I really enjoyed it.  It was different from most of the previous ones and - unlike October Man - the first person narrative didn't feel like it was a Peter clone telling the story.

I completely agree again. It was definitely not what I expected, but I liked it! I think it would be great idea...

Spoiler

to have the origins of different river deities as the basis of future short stories.

23 minutes ago, Hayley said:

I think it would be great idea...

Reveal hidden contents

to have the origins of different river deities as the basis of future short stories.

Interesting idea!  We know some of them already, but there are some colourful characters that we don't know so much about.

21 hours ago, Raven said:

Interesting idea!  We know some of them already, but there are some colourful characters that we don't know so much about.

Is there anybody in particular you'd like to find out more about? I actually really want to know when 

Spoiler

we're going to see Lesley again. She obviously will come back at some point, but when!?

4 hours ago, Hayley said:

Is there anybody in particular you'd like to find out more about? I actually really want to know when 

Hide contents

we're going to see Lesley again. She obviously will come back at some point, but when!?

Spoiler

I'll be amazed if she doesn't! I suspect her not being in this book was to allow the series to take a breath (Personally, I'd like to know more about what she was up to and what she learnt after leaving The Folly). 

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I'd love to know more about Nightingale as well, that would probably be  a series on it's own!

There is supposed to be a novella from his point of view in the works (two more to come before that, though).

The latest graphic novel, Action at a Distance, was told from his point of view.

• 4 months later...