Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

ian

I red the first 3 and I like them a lot. I love modern fantasy and the style of writing is very fun, even though the themes are kinda dark. But I prefer that. It's better than going too far into the grim dark. That's kinda what turned me of Dresden Files.

I also very much enjoy all the little geeky references Peter likes to throw around. You don't get that often in mainstream books.

• 5 months later...

Not sure when it happened, but book 5 in the series - Foxglove Summer - is now listed on Amazon with a release date of July 17th.

Book 5? And me having still only read the first book?? I've got some catching up to do!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For anyone who likes the Rivers of London novel's the first graphic novel, called Body Work, came out a couple of weeks ago and after a spot of trouble tracking down a copy I finally got it at the weekend and finished it last night.

I was originally sceptical of a graphic novel of the books, as I didn't want anything interfering with my vision of the characters and the Folly etc. but that fell by the wayside in the wake of such a good story.  I'd recommend it to anyone who like the books!

The next hardback, The Hanging Tree, is out in June.  Hurrah!

I've seen Body Work a few times recently but I don't think I've ever read a graphic novel either, I don't particularly like reading in that format so I don't know whether to try it. I do really want more story though, I can't wait for The Hanging Tree!

I have finally got around to reading Rivers of London, and I loved it!  :D Even better is that I have the next four ready and waiting for me on my kindle, having snapped them up every time they came along super cheap on Amazon. Maybe it was taking a bit of a chance, buying then all up before I had even read the first, but I had a distinct feeling that I was going to enjoy them. 

Great pacing, interesting central premise and story, and I adore the references to London's rivers. Great stuff. 

They're great fun aren't they?  I think my favourite so far is Whispers Underground.  Hope you enjoy them all!

Thanks Madeleine, I think I probably will continue to enjoy them. I started the second book last night, and so far so good. :smile:  

I have the first five on my Sony Reader and am currently about sixty

pages into the first one.And loving it! Just dry,downbeat humour, and

a good basic 'whodunnit' plot with interesting characters and a well

loved setting! Am anticipating a good few hours worth of enjoyment

from these!

Edited by timebug

I have the first five on my Sony Reader and am currently about sixty

pages into the first one.And loving it! Just dry,downbeat humour, and

a good basic 'whodunnit' plot with interesting characters and a well

loved setting! Am anticipating a good few hours worth of enjoyment

from these!

I finished the fifth one in the series yesterday, and all I can see is that the series just gets better and better. I couldn't slow up my reading, I so wanted to devour them. I am thinking of going back and re reading them a little slower so I can really absorb them before the next book comes out.  I love the intermingling of folklore, mythology, history and legend being laid out alongside modern sensibilities, humour and such original and compelling stories. Love 'em!  :D

I finished the fifth one in the series yesterday, and all I can see is that the series just gets better and better. I couldn't slow up my reading, I so wanted to devour them. I am thinking of going back and re reading them a little slower so I can really absorb them before the next book comes out.  I love the intermingling of folklore, mythology, history and legend being laid out alongside modern sensibilities, humour and such original and compelling stories. Love 'em!  :D

I totally agree, Chrissy, I think the series has got stronger with each novel. I can't wait for the next one this summer!

Does anyone know if the release date for The Hanging Tree has changed? I'm sure amazon used to have a date in June but it now says August for the hardback, so does WHSmith's website and Waterstones' website just says 'coming soon.'

The Book Depository has the release date as 17 July. I just checked my spreadsheet, where I note down the dates of upcoming publications, and I originally had it listed as 14 June, so it has definitely been put back. A local Australian site has it as 2 August.

The Book Depository has the release date as 17 July. I just checked my spreadsheet, where I note down the dates of upcoming publications, and I originally had it listed as 14 June, so it has definitely been put back. A local Australian site has it as 2 August.

That sounds like a neat idea!

Always a shame when a publication date gets pushed back :(.