• Announcements

• Michelle

Important Announcement!   07/28/2018

Dear BCF members,   This forum has been running now for many years, and over that time we have seen many changes. Generalised forums are nowhere near as popular as they once were, and they have been very much taken over by blogs, vlogs and social media discussions. Running a forum well takes money, and a lot of care and attention, as there is so much which goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.   With all of this in mind, and after discussion within the current moderator team, the decision has been made to close this forum in its current format. I know that this will disappoint a lot of our long term members, but I want to reassure you that it's not a decision which has been taken lightly.    The remaining moderator team have agreed that we do not want to lose everything which is special about our home, and so we are starting a brand new facebook group, so that people can stay in touch, and discussions can continue. We can use it for free and should be easier for us to run (it won't need to be updated or hosted). We know not everyone has FaceBook, but we hope that those of you who are interested will join the group. We will share the link, and send invites as soon as we are ready to go. Added: We may as well get this going, find us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195289821332924/   The forum will close to new registrations, but will remain open for some time, to allow people to collect up any information, reading lists etc they need to, and to ensure they have contact details for those they wish to stay in touch with.    The whole team feel sad to say goodbye, but we also feel that it's perhaps time and that it feels like the right choice. We hope we can stay in touch with all of you through our new FaceBook group.   I personally want to thank everyone who has helped me moderate the forum, both in the past and the present, and I also want to thank every single person who has visited, and shared their love of books.. I'm so proud of everything we've achieved, and the home we built.   Please visit the new section in the Lounge section to discuss this further, ask questions etc.
ian

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

"My name is Peter Grant. Until January I was just another probationary constable in that mighty army for justice known to all right-thinking people as the Metropolitan Police Service, and to everyone else as the filth. My only concerns in life were how to avoid a transfer to the Case Progression Unit - we do paperwork so real coppers don't have to - and finding a way to climb into the panties of the outrageously perky WPC Lesley May. Then one night, in pursuance of a murder inquiry, I tried to take a witness statement from a man who was dead, but distrubingly voluble, and that brought me to the attention of Chief Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England. And that, as they say, is where the story begins."

I picked this up at my local library. This book is a great deal of fun, well written in an easy, page-turning style, with a good mix of action and humour. Anything with a wizard in it is obviously going to be compared to HP, but this manages to tackle that problem early on (in fact on the cover), so once that's out the way, you can just enjoy. The themes are more adult than HP, so beware of giving this to younger teens.

The story starts as outlined in the sleeve notes I copied above and from then progresses as Peter attempts to simultaneously train as a wizard/police officer, track a murderer and solve a problem between warring river spirits.

My only criticism is that the inital chapters where Peter goes from an ordinary PC to being told that not only does magic really exist, but that he is a trainee wizard, go a little too quickly. I would have liked a bit more disbelief to make it more beleivable!

But all in all, I would give this 4 out of 5, and will now need to find the second book in the series " Moon over Soho"

Ian

Wow, why did you stop I wanted to read more, it is a long time since an opening paragraph inspired me that much, it is now going on my wish list. Many thanks for this :readingtwo:

I copied that from the inside sleeve notes - there was a little more, but I got tired of copying!

Ian

I have read this and the second one and am desperate for the next instalment. :D

I started this one this week and despite only being 100 pages in, I'm loving it. He has such a straight forward writing style that it's very easy to immerse yourself in the story and I love the dead pan humour running throughout. Echoes of Pratchett and Stroud.

I can't wait to snatch my next half hour of reading.

Not usually a fan of this type of book but something is drawing me to it, you have sold it to me! Yet another on my growing TBR list!

Andie x

I've just finished reading this book and I want to read the next two books in the series as well. The water nymphs and the gods of the river seem unique in the way that they are portrayed.

I'm getting this and Moon Over Soho for my birthday (next month) and the more I read about them the more I want to read them now! But I suppose I'm just gonna have to wait a few more weeks :P

Quite a few people at work have recommended this so might just have to invest!

I've bought a copy of this, but haven't read it yet.

I knew (in passing) the guy the book is dedicated to. It was quite a surpirse to read his name at the beginning of the book whilst standing in Smiths.

I read this a couple of weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it! A proper detective story with a magical and paranormal twist, and it rattles along at a great pace, and it's funny and original in its own way. As always with any sort of mystery, I like to see if I can figure out where the plot is going early on, and I did get the theme of the murder but not the culprit, although I loved how that was revealed as it was very intriguing to read.

As always with a first book in a new fantasy series, there has to be some introduction to both the characters and the world the author is creating, but I thought this was done really well, blended throughout the story, and never felt like it was being shoe-horned in.

I will definitely be coming back to the series, and have the next two books on my wishlist already. :smile2:

I'm clearly in the minority but I wasn't a huge fan of it. :hide: It started off great, and I loved the fun style at the start and the quirkiness of it, but after a while it started to irritate me a little. I never actually realised this before, but I think that I don't particularly like humor in fiction. :o It's the same reason why I didn't like the first in the Jasper Forde series that I tried - which Rivers of London actually reminded me of while I was reading it. I'm not a miserable cow (honest :P ) and it kind of took me by surprise to realise that that is what I don't like. I don't mind when characters say or do funny things, but it seems that when there is a humorous tone through the whole book that it grates on me. Go figure!

Edited by bobblybear

I sat in Russell Square Gardens eating my lunch today trying to work out which of the buildings on the south side is the Folly.

I used to go to Russell Square Gardens every day when I was in London last year for a week. It was great place to relax

I've now read all 3 of these books and really enjoyed them. They are not what I would usually read but managed to get hooked! I do hope that there will be more in this series.

Curious about this series, I have the first one in my TBR right now,  maybe I will read a couple of pages tonight....

Curious about this series, I have the first one in my TBR right now,  maybe I will read a couple of pages tonight....

I think you really should read the book, it's sounds really great and a lot of people on here seem to have enjoyed it a lot. :)

I think they're great and it is the characters and the detailed London background that makes them for me.  The fourth book, Broken Homes, is out next month.