The Testament of Gideon Mack

Weave

Title of book: The Testament of Gideon Mack

Name of Author: James Robertson

Paperback: 400 pages

Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd (18 Jan 2007)

ISBN-10: 014102335X

ISBN-13: 978-0141023359

The Blurb:

If the devil didn't exist, would man have to invent him? For Gideon Mack, faithless minister, unfaithful husband and troubled soul, the existence of God, let alone the Devil, is no more credible than that of ghosts or fairies. Until the day he falls into a gorge and is rescued by someone who might just be Satan himself. Mack's testament - a compelling blend of memoir, legend, history and, quite probably, madness - recounts one man's emotional crisis, disappearance, resurrection and death. It also transports you into an utterly mesmerising exploration of the very nature of belief.

'The Testament of Gideon Mack' tells the story of Reverend Gideon Mack, the son of a minister who has grown up to be his father and lose his faith. The story is told by Gideon himself, about his life, his loves, his losses and his meeting with The Devil.

What did I think of the book:

I struggled with this book, it was not difficult to read but Gideon Mack is not a likeable man, at times I felt sorry for him, but the majority of the book he just plain annoyed me, the most promising character in the book was The Devil, but was it the devil? or was it Gideon Mack's own conscience, you have to make your own mind up.

A interesting read and thought provoking.

Rating: 5/10

Ooh, annoying characters are the worst! Novels can easily get away with dislikable characters (e.g. Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, the Ripley series), in fact it can often heighten their enjoyability-factor. But when characters are just plain irritating, it's unbearable! I read this novel called While England Sleeps and the protagonist was so irritating, I had an overwhelming urge to smack him all the time. Of course, he was entirely fictional so that just made the frustration worse! :)

Ooh, annoying characters are the worst! Novels can easily get away with dislikable characters (e.g. Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, the Ripley series), in fact it can often heighten their enjoyability-factor. But when characters are just plain irritating, it's unbearable! I read this novel called While England Sleeps and the protagonist was so irritating, I had an overwhelming urge to smack him all the time. Of course, he was entirely fictional so that just made the frustration worse! :)

There is nothing worse than a unlikeable character, Gideon frustrated me a lot, I just wanted to give a good shake and say to him, 'ooh make your mind up, would you?':lol: