The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld

Kell

I like my thrillers with more thrill but i did like alot of the characters in this book though

I think you're right - this was definitely more character-driven than action-packed, but I think that's what I liked best about it and it worked particularly well in this case, where in other circumstances it might not have worked so well.

I finished this book last night. I was a little late (very late) starting - I started reading on Monday evening having actually purchased the book a few weeks earlier, but I was determined to finish the book by the end of the month - thinking it might be a hard task, but it wasn't, seeing as I actually enjoyed most of the book I couldn't put it down.

I found that it was quite annoying how the story switches from one point of view to the next so suddenly that it's quite easy to get lost and not really understand what was going on. Being a blonde, I didn't really 'get it' until it was all summarised in the last few pages.

In all, I thought that it was a well-written book, I enjoyed it, and I liked reading the author's notes at the back to see what was really real and what was made up. Parts of the storyline sucked me in, but I think it could've just as well be done without Freud in it at all. Being put across as having Freud as one of the main subjects of the story, there was susprisingly little of him there.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I'm late because it's now April but I finally got to finish this today. I have to say I really enjoyed it, although I think it would have worked just as well without any mention of Freud. I managed to keep up with the first and third person perspectives, and found this way of writing made it more interesting for me. I didn't guess the twist, so that made the ending enjoyable for me, although it wasn't the most exciting story ever told! Basically, an enjoyable book and a good choice for the Reading Circle.

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never:blush: - I've just finished reading the book and once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I thought the fictional characters of both Younger and Littlemore were excellent - Littlemore was great fun - a well rounded character. I liked the switch between first and third person for the two characters and also the trust and camaraderie between them towards the end. I thought the descriptions of the architecture, interiors and society people were really good and well researched, as were the lives of the real people involved in the plot:)

• 1 month later...

I just finished this one....and I'm a wee bit confused. ;)

So who was the killer in this? Was it Clara or George Banwell? It says in the epilogue that George Banwell was charged with the attempted murder of Nora, but I thought it was Clara who did it all. She organised it, with the help of the coroner in order to punish her husband, but to also have Nora suffer. Was it not Clara who snuck into Nora's bed and burned her with that cigarette (I'm assuming that is the "attempted murder charge?)?

Though the story was quite confusing if you didn't read it in large chunks, or have a good memory, I still found it very enjoyable. I loved the author's writing style, and I thought he captured the feeling of 1909 very well (not that I was alive then, but it's how I imagined it would be :)) through the way the characters spoke, and how the story was told.

I liked the switching between first and third person perspective as well - there were a number of times it caught me off guard, and I had to stop and think who I was reading about.

As for Freud and Jung...well, I know next to another about them, so I can't really comment. I did find the snippets of psychoanalysis quite interesting, though some of them were also very amusing (the whole Oedipal thing is something that I just don't get :lol:).

Anyway, all in all, a good read. I hope Rubenfeld writes more novels. I'd definately give them a go. :lol: