Featured Author - Raven Hart

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Raven,

I'm reading The Vampire's Seduction at the moment and really enjoying it. I was wondering, how much more difficult does it make it for you as a writer when all your characters are from different eras? Was it hard to get your head round it when you were researching /writing, or did it all flow quite easily?

Hi, Lady Kell and thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying the book. I didn't find it particularly hard to write from different eras. I thought it was really interesting and fun. The info I included from Jack's point of view about the Civil war battle in which he "died" was all true.

As far as William is concerned, I can't remember if it was book 1 or 2, but I enjoyed William's flashback to Elizabethan England. I actually gave Gin that idea and she did a great job.

Writing from the POV of vampire has so much potential for going back into the past, I'd like to do more flashbacks if I can figure out how to make it move the present story forward. It kind of gives you the fun of writing a historical while writing contemporary.

susan

I just wanted to let everyone know Raven's new site is up and running.. and it's looking rather cool. :friends0:

Are you doing anything else to promote the book Raven.. is it exciting coming up to launch day, or do you get nervous about sales?

As far as William is concerned, I can't remember if it was book 1 or 2, but I enjoyed William's flashback to Elizabethan England. I actually gave Gin that idea and she did a great job.
I just got to this bit at lunch time - I loved the idea, especially as I'm fascinated by the Tudor royals anyway. :friends0:

Thanks for the plug, Michelle. I get EXTREMELY nervous about sales. I don't want to have to go back to a REAL job. :friends0: As far as promotions, right now I need to get some new cards printed up to take to the events I have listed on the web site. Those appearances are the main thing I'm doing as far as promotions are concerned.

You mentioned in your interview that you had written a few chapters of a different novel, and you also had another story 'fermenting'! Have you made any progress with either of these, or have your vamps kept you busy?

Michelle, I really haven't had a chance to work on the other project lately, but I plan to get back to it soon. I had some distrations over the winter what with building a new office in my basement and relocating a lot of my belongings, but I'm about finished with all that.

The main project I want to work on is a southern mystery.

Raven, how was 'launch day'? Is it exciting, or a bit of an anti-climax?

There was something else I wanted to ask.. how did you find the transition from writing romance? Do you prefer the type of book you're writing now, and do you think you may write further romance in the future?

Great questions, Michelle. It's kind of anticlimactic, to tell you the truth. You visualize your books in a very prominent spot and then you go into the bookstore on the "laydown" date and they haven't even taken them out of the box. Oy! I went out to my nearest Barnes and Noble and that's what happened (again).

I much prefer the kind of book I'm writing now, in that there are fewer "rules" you have to follow. However, having said that, I must admit that more and more romance is creeping into the series. :blush:

When you're writing a straight romance, the romantic story has to be the driving story and it's difficult to sustain the kind of believable conflict that will keep two people who are meant for each other apart for a whole book. Romance writing is pretty difficult, actually.

Raven, before you go, I would like to say that I am very much enjoying the book you sent me. I'm sorry I have not yet been able to finish it and ask you more questions. I'm sure you can understand having a new baby in the house, but I love the book. I have never read a vampire book before. It is very interesting and informative on that front so thank you for that, also the book has many levels and goes quite deep. I like Jack's character too.

I hope the conference was a good one. :blush:

I have one final question for you.. you often hear that when authors write a long series, or even lots of books of the same genre (especially crime writers), they can come under some criticism. Sometimes the quality seems to suffer, or they annoy a certain set of fans.

Does it worry you that that may happen if you end up writing a long series. Would you consider setting yourself a limit?

The conference was lots of fun! Thanks!

Michelle, I've thought about this, and for right now, I'd like to write as many books in the series as the readers want. If I'm fortunate enough to be able to write several more, I might at some point get burned out, but for right now, I would love to continue. My only goal is to try and make each book at little better than the last. Only you guys can tell me if I'm succeeding.

It's been fun to be your featured author for the month. Thanks for the questions/conversation! Be sure and visit my site, www.ravenhartbooks.com.

• 2 weeks later...