What's more important - the message or the messenger?

Talisman

Many readers have their own favourite authors - I have a few of these myself, but for the most part when shopping for books I don't look for specific authors, just a good story that holds my interest and makes me think about and sometimes question the world at large and for want of a better phrase, the human condition. Unlike many I know who seek books written only by authors whose work they are already familiar with, I actively seek out books that are written by unknowns or those that are different in some way to books that I have read before.

I wonder sometimes whether we get too hung up on the idea of reading certain authors, as if it is safe and familiar. Important though the author is as the creator of whatever book I am reading at any given moment, for me it is really more about the story - the message is for me more important than the messenger. I was just wondering what others thought about this or whether I was alone in thinking this way?

I agree I once went through reading only certain authors and realised what a closed mind that was, and how much more there is to experience, I choose my books first by cover/title then by the blurb on the back.

I'm a bit of a mixture - I have to admit to collecting certain authors (particularly series), and I'm pretty bad at stopping buying a previously favourite author whose work has gone downhill (yes, Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs, I mean you!).

On the other hand, I do always look at new/different books and unfamiliar authors, and buy a lot of those too.

I do tend to stick to genres I enjoy, though, and rarely enjoy anything outside those - although I do keep trying! :)

When I liked the writing or story (or if his stories are particularly foundated) of a certain author very much, I read more from him.

But I don't look for the author but flip through some books rather arbitrarily before I decide.

On the other hand, if I didn't like the style of an author I won't choose him again.

Well, if I like an author obviously I'll read more by them. If I don't like their other stuff as much, I'll be careful what I buy from them in future. Buying books purely on the grounds of who wrote them with no regard for the content is.... a bit stupid, really. Obviously the book is more important, it's just a fairly obvious line of reasoning that if an author writes a book you like, it makes sense to check out other books by that author.

I think the message is more important but some messengers just have particularly good messages (if that makes sense).

For example I love Terry Pratchett and every book I've read by him (and I've read most of them) I've loved, so when I see one I haven't got yet, I buy it, knowing that I'll enjoy it.

But, at the same time, if I pick up a random book in a shop, by an author I'd never heard of and the blurb sounded really interesting, I'd still be just as likely to buy it. :)

Never really thought about that, I tend to read whatever catches my interest , also since being on here at least 50% of my books I read because of other's reviews; but I also have some favourite authors who's style I like (Jack Vance, Sarah Waters, and recently Neil Gaiman). I think certain authors can be good for you( or "speak" to you) at different times of your life; for instance when I was young I read a lot of Andre Norton .

Personally there are enough "rules" in my life already, so when I read I don't want to impose any more on myself :readingtwo:

Edited by vodkafan

There are only two or three authors I actively seek out.

I'm definitely more of a 'pick it up on the off-chance' type of person. For instance, I've recently started using my library and have read (and am currently reading) authors from other countries/cultures as part of my very long-term reading challenge and have enjoyed some absolute gems, despite knowing nothing about the author beforehand.

I have a few favourite authors, and will always buy a new book by them. But most of my book buying is done through browsing, rather than seeking out a specific book, and I don't tend to browse for specific authors - I just pick up whatever books catch my eye. I love trying new authors - what's the worst that can happen? Sure, I might not like a book, but you have to try things - and you just might discover a new favourite writer :D

I have to admit that the majority of my books are hand me downs from my dad, he is excellent at choosing books that are to my taste. They are a mixute of new and old authors. Other than that I am inspired by other peoples reviews and recommendations.

I am not too bothered whether I have come away learning something or having understood the moral of the story. For instance, I love The Time Travellers Wife and think that the plot device is excellent, however I haven't come away from it knowing anything new about the world. just perhaps myself :)

I'm a bit of a mixture. I remain loyal to authors as long as they retain my interest. For example, I read the Prey series by John Sandford for years, had every book, but then I got bored. I used to read the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice, but those got dull, and then Ms. Rice completely changed her style. On the other hand, I have loved everything I've ever read by Haruki Murakami, so I will buy and read everything I can by him. I don't need to know anything about the book....as long as it's written by him, I know I'll completely love it.

Still, I like to seek out new authors. That's why I love browsing for books on Amazon. They are great at recommending other books based on what I've bought, what I've reviewed, and what's in my wishlist. I have found a lot of new favorites that way.

I am one of those that collect certain authors - James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell

But I do love reading books by new authors, the first thing I notice when buying a book is the front cover, if that draws me in then I read what the book is about.

This is going to get more difficult as I now have an ereader, but that doesent stop me going and browsing around book shops.

I think it depends on my mood. In times of stress, I always turn to someone I know will entertain me, so will read authors I know and I think will entertain me and provide the necessary escapism. However, when things in my life are calmer or when I know I have time to savour a book, I will invariably be drawn to the unknown and seek out something different; this is when the message is important, and I will sometimes go to the opposite extreme and active seek out someone I've never heard of and never read, looking for the original and the unique.

It's a bit of both for me. I have my favorite authors who have rarely let me down, and I will always give their books a go, even though the blurb on the back may not be to my liking. But I also like to read a lot of different books, often by authors I have not heard of before. This year I have read a lot of new authors, who wouldn't have normally caught my eye if it wasn't for this forum. Even if the story isn't something I would have thought was interesting, they got so many rave reviews here that I have given them a go, and in the majority of cases I haven't been disappointed.

A lot of authors are quite genre-specific, and I think if you want a different message you will need to find a different messenger. :)

Mmm massage vs messenger, I will go for the massage, although the messenger is the owner of the massage, but I noticed that people are not consistent in their outputs, so the massage may differ for a writer from one book to the other, so one book of a certain maybe good while the other not. I tend to forget author names anyway :P