Anita Blake Series by Laurell K. Hamilton

wrathofkublakhan

Hhhhhmmmmmm reading between the lines i believe she feels Danse Macabre was a step too far however i beleivev she does not read the reviews on amazon both .com and .co.uk.

I am one of theose who buys her books hoping them to get better and i am looking forward to rereading the series as the early books were amazing

• 2 months later...

I now have the new book in my possession, it is really not what I have come to expect from Anita, again she continues with her many lovers and in no way investigates or solves Preternatural crime.

The only saving grace is Edward, he makes a return. And hamilton has started to destroy him in my eyes, she is giving him feelings and showing us too much of what's inside.

I will post a short message to Laurell K:

Dear Uncomprimising Author,

I have been a fan of your work since 1995, way back when nobody in the UK had heard of you. I spent ages encouraging people to read your books and moving them to prime locations in book stores. And I did it because I loved your work.

HOWEVER, your poorly written sexscenes, over complicated cast members and lack of real story is not doing you any favours.

Let me guess how your next book will go (because the last 4 have been exactly the same)

Anita is troubled, Richard doesn't like her sleeping with many men and animals, a big bad council member will come to town, there will eb endless pages describing mens hair and eyes, Anita will suffer at the hands of the ardure so badly that she has to sleep with a new species (I mean come on I was getting annoyed at her having sex with Wolves, Leopards, Lions and the like but MERMEN?!?!?! You'd never even mentioned they existed before book 13) and then it'll all be ok, Jean Claude will not do alot but many words will be written (in GREAT detail) about how lacy his cuffs are and how the colour of his shirt contrasts his skin, eyes, hair, teapot. Anita will defeate the big bad with a new power and the book will end, Anita no further along in life and the reader tearing their hair out.

When we send you constructive comments don't wrote to us telling us things like "if you don't like it don't read it", we buy your books, we are YOUR customers at the end of the day, I think you'll find it should be a case of if WE don't like it YOU shouldn't write it. I know you think the people in your books are real, and that you buy them presents at the holidays but for gods sake stop making things so complicated. Anita does not need more than 15 sexual partners and she does need to get back to what the first books were about. I know you write romance under another name and I know you put loads of effort in but leave the romance for Merry Gentry and your other books and get the Anita ones back to Gore, Crime, Animating and the good stuff.

I just finished The Harlequin, the latest of the Anita Blake series.

Amazon link and review here : http://www.amazon.com/Harlequin-Anita-Blake-Vampire-Hunter/dp/0425217248

Typical of this author, it's very hard to put the book down - the pacing is fantastic and keeps me riveted. I want to know what happens next, I read the entire thing in two days.

I was pleased with this book on several levels

* There was a lot less sex and a lot more violence. Familiar characters I'd not seen for several books returned, namely Dolph and Edward plus their accessories.

* A nice little section on faith and belief, which I'd felt was missing in the more recent books and I liked a lot in the early books (chasing the Demon away after Richard's mom gets kidnapped, for example).

* Much of the problem of the un-oathed vamps from the church has been resolved (hasn't it?).

* The larger plot line of Belle Morte and Marmee Noir continued along with the threat of the Council, I mean really -- this must be leading up to some big battle.

Some things were confusing, Jean Claude did some "clicky" thing to Anita and Richard, I dunno if it was the fourth mark or not.

Some things were limp -- Edward never got to be bad-ass psychopath, Anita never really had her will tested - this was one of the things that drew me to the books in the first place, Anita and her will power and damn stubbornness.

In this reader's opinion I was pleased and I do believe that Ms. Hamilton is listening to her readers; the merman was sent packing, Edward and Dolph returned, Anita discusses Ronnie and hints that life continues with Zerbowski and his family.

I liked that she tapped all the Swanmanes (if that's what they are called) much like she did with the Chicago crew; proving that she'll eventually be a uber-necromancer and tap a lot of power in the future, perhaps directed by Jean Claude.

Everyone is pissed at Richard's confliction with being a beast, which I think is totally appropriate. Not everyone is going to be happy and take one for the team. We may all want Richard to step up, but he can't.

I had to re-read the ending scene in the church -- I was saying "huh?" to what was going on, tho this happens to me a lot I think.

In all, I can promise I'll read the next when it comes out. I think any series will go through a rough patch as the author milks the popularity and decides on which direction to go. I just really enjoy the Anita Blake series!