Anita Blake Series by Laurell K. Hamilton

wrathofkublakhan

Guilty Pleasures (many of the books titles are fun names for local clubs or hangouts) is the first of a wonderful series. For me, it served as an introduction to the world and was not really a strong enough effort to keep a reader coming back -- even though I did.

My first romp through Anita Blake found me buying two books at a time, madly tearing through them and then buying the next until none more were published. Then I did something I've never done before -- I started at the beginning and read them all through again.

I think the strength of the books are the characters. The growing cast over so many books are really old friends -- when Anita returns to St. Louis in Narcissus in Chains and meets Stephan and she just can't stop smiling; I kinda felt the same way.

It's also an accumulative series, each book builds upon the last. I might guess that Obsidian Butterfly (a club outside of Santa Fe) is the book most likely to stand on it's own.

At this point in the series there are some things that may or may not happen, though I think there are plenty of hints.

Here's my list for the Book Club Forum to encourage discussion:

Will Olaf return?

Will the un-oathed vamps of the church be tapped for a huge power source?

What is the 5th and unknown strain of lycanthropy in Anita? (actually I'm not sure of the four known: wolves, panthers, lions, rats?)

How is Dolph doing with his daughter?

Will Anita continue to develop Master-Vamp skills like The Voice?

Will there be another showdown with the Council? (I'd love for Anita to meet Padma now, five books later!)

Is Anita done with the FBI and those guys with the black folders?

In Micah, we learned with were-wolf blood she can raise a graveyard, how will this continue to threated the vamps in her skill in calling the dead?

Keep the blood, sex and magic coming!

As I am a person in the know on some of these subjects.

Olaf and Edward will be back in the next book, along with a young Peter in training. Edward is, sadly in my opinion, still in his relationship with Donna.

Also in the next book a HUMAN will be killed off at the end (it won't be Edward) but I'm guessing one of the police.

Anita gets to meet the Mother of All Darkness.

Anita is going on to develop lots of new skills and powers until it's revealed she is the second coming of Christ...

Sadly the sex scenes will continue but the next book will have more of a "traditional" Anita Blake feel to it (police investigations and actually killing monsters).

Anita also gets a new gun, or two...

I love her books both the anita blake series and the meredith gentry series but i have found they have lost their way with too much sex and little plot so i hope they get back to the form the earlier books had

Ya ya, I've read some Meredith Gentry books ~ fun stuff. Obviously I'm passionate about the Anita Blake series. Meredith just seemed a little ... girly. Not that I mind a Girly Book now and then!

Has anybody read it in a whole day? When I was in Borders today, next to the Anita Blake books they had put a note, saying if you love Anita Black why not try Jim Butchers Harry Dresden series. He is a Wizard. Anybody read any?

Has anybody read it in a whole day? When I was in Borders today, next to the Anita Blake books they had put a note, saying if you love Anita Black why not try Jim Butchers Harry Dresden series. He is a Wizard. Anybody read any?

Yeah Dresden is good, very Anita like, sarcastic, sassy, gets things done. With less of the icky sex.

You shuld also check out the Rachael Harrison books, she has a very good series featuring a preturnatural universe... IIRC the first one is Dead Witch Walking.

The Kim Harrsion books are on 3 for 2 in my Waterstones so OH treated me to all 5 of them - getting another book for himself too! I got:

1. Dead Witch walking

2. The good, the bad and the undead.

3. Every Witch way but dead.

4. A Fistful of charms.

5. For a few Demons more.

As when i looked on amazon tehy were not much cheaper.