Great British Bake Off (Includes Spoilers)

baby.giraffe

Really enjoyed it this week .. especially the gingerbread creations. How inspired of James to turn his barn into a .. derelict barn :D looked yummy though with all the spun sugar cobwebs. Brendan's did look the best but it wasn't as technically challenging as everybody else's .. it looked quite similar to an ordinary gingerbread house (so was expecting Paul to smash it down as promised). The teacakes looked fiddly .. I didn't envy them trying to temper the chocolate etc in the heat. What bad luck for them .. we've hardly had any good weather.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the barn too, it was very inspired cration. didn't really like Brendan's it was far to twee, though I acknowledge his ability to cook Brendan is loosing a lot of peoples votes because he does come across as being really smug. who's favourite now for you?

There is something a little bit pompous about Brendan which means I can't warm to him ... though he is the one to beat I think. I like all the rest so next week ideally Brendan will have a mare and be eliminated :angel_not: Out of the others I think James is the one that can really challenge Brendan so I hope he goes through to the final just so that it's not a foregone conclusion.

I hope James goes through too....he has really come in to his own and isn't afraid to be adventurous (just like us Scots... :giggle: ) Brendan, although talented is too perfectionist for me and beginning to annoy me a little.

Edited by Inver

I got annoyed at him (Brendan) for saying that there were 'one or two' that he was keeping his eye on .. because it made me feel he was dismissing the others. Also that bit about being longer in the tooth so having more experience (which is no doubt true but older doesn't always mean wiser and I do think he's less adventurous). Of course, it could be that he's getting a bad edit .. they are probably asking him leading questions and he's only answering them truthfully .. still .. he's beginning to naff me off which he wasn't before (admittedly though .. my mind is probably finding reasons to dislike him as he is the threat to the ones I prefer). His Disney birdhouse was just too twee for words and the construction was too simple. Still, they have to award on consistency, presentation and taste so I guess if he keeps getting it right it's only fair that he's crowned winner. Paul and Mary do have a soft spot for James though I can tell .. so come on James!! (and John and Danny :D)

I'm not a big fan of Brendan, and it's odd that he's beginning to naff you off Kay, as naff is the word I'd used to describe his baking! :lol: Everything he does seems so 70s and dated, and although you might be right about the editing, he does seem to come across as smug and as if he thinks he deserves the top baker every week, and that the others aren't as good as him.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think there has been far too much sweet baking this series? I'm sure previous series had far more savoury challenges, but it feels like we've had hardly any this year.

I think there has been more sweet baking .. however I have to admit I'm totally happy with that :D

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Brendan was even more irritating than normal .. 'I think I've done enough to earn my place in the final' :banghead: the final of what? smuggest man on TV? .. you'd make my top 3 no problem :D

Ahhh poor John, I was so anxious for him the whole programme .. he looked about two secs away from a meltdown (loved him calling James a minx :D and then his 'don't be nice to me' remark to Mel/Sue). I was sad to see Danny go but if the judges are to be believed then she was the worst over the two days .. just. Such a lovely lady though.

Isn't it funny? Not to generalise or anything but you'd think women would have the edge on baking .. and yet here we have three men in the final and when one of them wins it will mean that two out of the three winners have been men. I almost feel like we've let the side down :D

With all due respect to John I don't think he stands much of a chance next week if the other two are on form .. so .. come on James! :D

I was wee bit sad she went out too Kay, but makes for an interesting final with all the guys. Really hope Brendan nose gets put out of joint... :giggle: . I want James to win as long as he doesn't try to be to OTT and adventurous.

He was the only one of the three that I don't think believed he could win it too. They were all gracious at the end, they all just seemed keen on improving their own baking rather than belittling everyone else.. It was nice to see what all the other contestants are going now as well.

Yes I thought so too, didn't want Brendan to win, hoped James would, but lovely that John was given it. I so wanted cake after it though.... :giggle:

The three contestants were so close, that anyone could have won (although I did think Brendan would win). I was craving Fondant Fancies after watching last night's show!

What am I going to do now this has ended :cry:

With all due respect to John I don't think he stands much of a chance next week if the other two are on form .. so .. come on James! :D

.. and that shows what I know :D

I haven't caught up with it yet, was out on Tuesday and wasn't able to record. I couldn't wait to know though so looked it up .. if Brendan had won I may not even have watched. Very happy for John but going on past form .. something must have gone majorly wrong for James. Will hopefully catch up with the repeat tomorrow.

I think on one of his good days, John was always in with a shout, and I have to say, it was pretty close in the final. I was a bit disappointed with their final challenge, as it's usually to make a selection of tea party bakes, so the one big cake I was a bit non-plussed by, but I think John was best on the day.

One thing did occur to me though (and this is showing my age) I've realised that James completely reminds me of Callum from the old TV series All Creatures Great and Small - the accent, the hair, the glasses and the knitwear! :lol:

Just watched it .. and how ridiculous to cry during a baking programme .. however I did :D .. even at pompous old Brendan .. but then he annoyed me earlier by giving himself 10/10 and rating his chances too much.

I'm glad John won .. that heaven/hell cake looked amazing and it seemed the right decision on the day. Hope his career in patisserie goes well .. it's nice that a lot of them are continuing with their baking .. why not put the experience to good use?

When James' cake fell on the floor my heart sank .. though he managed to salvage the situation it was one 'flying by the seat of your pants' situation too far. He didn't seem to mind too much though.

I am NEVER EVER going to attempt to make fondant fancies :D

I'm glad Brendon didn't win. Not that I had anything against him, in fact his skills are breath-taking. It's just that he reminds me too much of Laurence olivier in Marathon Man for my liking!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...