Great British Bake Off (Includes Spoilers)

baby.giraffe

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woo hoo just watched it

whats first impressions then?

From my armchair view, I don't think anyone is particularly standing out yet. I liked nearly all the contestants, just one or two getting on my nerves a little bit, but maybe they'll grow on me.

I hope it was just nerves for the first one, but I think the baking standard wasn't as high as we've seen in previous series, but I also think the challenges were pretty tough - no "signature" bake to just demonstrate their favourite, best loved cake where they can demonstrate how good they are in their own comfort zone which seemed a bit of a shame.

I hope it was just nerves for the first one, but I think the baking standard wasn't as high as we've seen in previous series, but I also think the challenges were pretty tough - no "signature" bake to just demonstrate their favourite, best loved cake where they can demonstrate how good they are in their own comfort zone which seemed a bit of a shame.

I remember thinking last year and thought it again this time round that its a shame someone has to go in the first week as they are all finding their feet, they all as far as I could see (obviously I didn't taste anything) didn't come across as being that impressive and I think a lot of that would be down to nerves and they could all do with the first week to get used to the cookers etc. I think its such a shame the woman who left went as her icing skills certainly showed potential. I can't understand why they left the "signature" bake out as surely thats the best indicator of their normal baking skills as a starting point for the judging.

I'm so happy that this programme has returned because I love it! The only person that stands out for me at the moment is the woman that baked the cake which reveaed a blackbird in the middle. Very clever.

I'm so happy that this programme has returned because I love it! The only person that stands out for me at the moment is the woman that baked the cake which reveaed a blackbird in the middle. Very clever.

I wasn't that impressed with that one - thought there were others much better.

I wouldn't count on it, chaliepud! It's bread week this week - already looking forward to tomorrow nights programme :smile2:

We just watched the bread episode, oh my, I need to try some different bread recipes, some of those savoury flatbreads were mouthwatering...

Although I enjoy cooking, my baking and pastry making skills are, sadly, almost non-existant. So I watch in almost awe at some of the fantastic creations these finalists make. Who would have thought people baking cakes & bread would make such compelling viewing!

I think it works for me because Mel and Sue present it - they bring heart and humour to the competition. Without them, I'm not sure it would have worked so well. It also helps that the judges are genuine experts and give honest and objective views on the bakers.

I was a bit suprised by Victoria going out last night though she hasn't had a good couple of weeks but i do think there were some definite weaker ones in the group....

I love this show though Paul and Mary are brilliant and I love that Mel and Sue are quite irreverent

I was soooooooo wanting a piece of tart of any sort last night after that programme finished. James did really well to get the baker of the week, his cooking was really good last night.

I was following Twitter while it was on, and someone said it would be fatal to use the words "soggy bottom" for a drinking game! :lol:

I loved the look of the banana tarte tatin that Sarah Jane made, and the treacle tarts looked delicious in the most part. Cathryn, James and John were all really good this week, and Danny and Sarah Jane look like they could do well too. The thing with this competition is that you can't afford a single bad week, as Victoria proved this week. You don't need to be the top baker, consistency is the key.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, nearly all the tarts looked delish. I agree the banana tarte tatin looked fabulous and I bet it tasted every bit as good. Mel and Sue make it for me as well, it would be in danger of taking itself too seriously otherwise. I like the bit where Mary and Paul sit and try out a piece of whatever that weeks technical challenge is but I'm always trying to detect a note of 'that's actually disgusting' in the face of the person whose bake it isn't :D

I looked at the bottom of one of my Mum's pies when we were visiting ... I didn't dare tell her it had a soggy bottom but I did mumble something about it not being an even bake .. luckily she didn't hear me.

I don't know people's names yet but the two guys (star bakers for the last two weeks) seem excellent and so does the banana tarte tatin lady .. even if she can't do proper latticework :D

• 3 weeks later...

That was a tough week ... it's the stuff of nervous breakdowns (or mine anyway :D) .. enriched dough baking :hide: .. tough, and I wasn't sure that

Ryan should have gone because his first bake was so outstanding that Paul shook his hand .. ok the next two weren't great but that outstanding one surely should have outranked three mediocre bakes?

Well, I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions.