Great British Bake Off (Includes Spoilers)

baby.giraffe

Clare Balding is being bandied about as a possible host, but if she's on it, I won't watch it, as I can't stand her. Other names I've heard mentioned are Claudia Winkleman, Davina McCall, and Kirsty Allsop. I'd love to see Kirsty do it - I love her. Davina, I'm not hugely keen on, and although I'm not a huge fan of Claudia, I've warmed to her a little while watching Strictly, so Kirsty and Claudia would, I think, be a good fit and I might be enticed to give it a try once it shifts channel if they are chosen. Who they would have as judges, though, I have no idea.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you just hate it when they mess about with something that we love.  I love Sue and Mel and the little quips that they come up with, I usually rewind so that my hubby does not miss the jokes, I am sure he thinks I am daft.

Just caught up on the last two weeks, what was batter week about.  Everybody knows that when you do Yorkshire puddings they always come out different so how was they going to get 12 or 24 the same.  Thought it was a waste of a week.

It's pastry week, and looking at the description, we should be back to some proper bakes.  There's also a history bit this week, as the numbers of bakers is starting to dwindle. :D

I'm a dab hand at puff pastry, so always love it when I see others trying to make it - hopefully we'll see some attempts at it tonight!

I loved last nights programme - proper bakes that everyone could have a go at, and a technical that was at least recognisable!

Just seen the breaking news that Mary has said she's staying with the BBC out of loyalty and won't be going to Channel 4 with the series. That leaves Paul to announce what he's going to do now ... I don't think he'll go without the other three, but you never know ...

I really enjoyed last nights episode.  I do love a bakewell tart!

That leaves Paul to announce what he's going to do now ... I don't think he'll go without the other three, but you never know ...

I see that Paul has now released a statement saying he has signed a 3 year deal to stay with the show.  Interesting that he's decided to stay, whilst the other three have left.  I'm assuming he's been offered a hell of a lot of money to remain with it, but good for the other three for leaving.

Although I'm assuming the actual format of the show won't change much, seeing as the production company etc. will be the same I just cannot see it being that much of a success without Mary, Mel and Sue and I don't think I will be watching.  I only watch it on a semi-regular basis at the moment anyway so it won't affect me that much but I do think it's a shame all the same.

I'm hoping that the BBC will come up with another vehicle for Mel & Sue .. and Mary (but then Mary already has her own programmes so I guess there'll be a continuation of those. If they need a judge to go with Mary then I'd go for Richard Bertinet .. I love him when he's on Extra Slice .. and I love his bread/pastries :D ) Not surprised that Paul is the one to leave ... had a hunch he might. Adverts do my head in (and fast forwarding them's no better) plus all that .. 'coming up' nonsense .. and 'here's what happened earlier' .. so I can't see me watching it. They will need to choose their hosts very, very, carefully. Mel & Sue have been a double act .. well .. forever really and they have an ease and a telepathic understanding. Plus they're able to talk to the contestants without patronising and hugs and words of encouragement seem natural coming from them. I've never been keen when other people have hosted (as in Bake for Comic Relief) because it loses something but then, as it's for charity and also temporary .. I can bear it :D 

Suggestions I've seen:

Alan Carr .. No!

Nigella Lawson .. Not really

Rylan Clark .. Please no!

Sarah Millican .. No thank you

Davina .. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Rosemary Shrager: God no!

Cherish Finden: *Head in hands*

Wouldn't really want any of the previous winners or participants hosting either .. however much I liked them in their own series. 

I suppose French & Saunders are a possibility for hosts.. if they're up for it. Wasn't keen when Jennifer did it on her own but early days and all that. In a way though it's a poisoned chalice .. people will compare .. I will for a start :D 

Anyways, I don't like the way the whole thing was handled .. that might be business but it's a poor way to treat people/viewers so I doubt I'll watch but it'll be a while so maybe I'll come around. Doesn't appeal though in any way.

Bah!! We were all enjoying it so much though :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

I don't watch TV much and it was a highlight :(

I LOVE pastry so really enjoyed last week. I've made a Bakewell tart umpteen times .. it's such a fave but don't know if i could wing it with only a few instructions. The time constraints are what makes them fail though .. can't bake it enough or don't have time to let it cool down etc. Must be so frustrating. 

Yes Madeleine .. it makes me absolutely ravenous :D What makes it worse is that I follow a lot of the previous bakers on Instagram and they particularly like to bake on Bake Off day. My feed is full of cake/biscuits/pies etc. I make it a rule never to have anything in on Wednesday .. not even a half packet of biscuits .. because I know I'll just scoff them without even noticing. I have to eat with my eyes .. it's terrible .. it doesn't fill you up :D 

Turns out I was wrong then! :D  I don't mind Paul going with the show, as he already works with other channels outside of the BBC.  I've seen lots of negativity towards him on social media, but the man's still got to make a living, and think about his own career.  I don't think the BBC would have continued giving him his own baking shows as he doesn't have the profile of other cooks like Nigella Lawson and Nigel Slater, and he's just been loyal to the production company not the BBC.

I do wonder who they will get to host it now, and I've been looking at some of the presenters that had tweeted Paul welcome to C4 - and the name that jumps out at me is Kirsty Allsopp.  She's already done something along these lines with her entering the various baking and craft competitions at local county shows, and I think she might be ok.  I haven't seen anything recently, but initially the bookies were all going for comedians to replace Mel & Sue as hosts, but I don't think it has to be, and the producers might purposely go a different way, to differentiate it from the BBC version.

Dan Lepard was a judge on the Australian version of the show, but he's based over here most of the time and I like him whenever he's on programmes such as Sunday Brunch, and I think he'd make a good judge (he says himself, he's was the Mary of the Aussie judging team :D).

I think after this year when it moves channels I will stop watching it, because at the end of the day it will just be another food show.  Without Mel and Sue it will not have the same appeal for me. I think they are just so funny together.

Gutted that BBC have lost the rights to this show. I've watched it from the very beginning and it was a yearly cosy treat - both heartwarming and very amusing. Even if the format stays the same (albeit with the inclusion of adverts - gah!), it just won't be the same show, so I doubt I'll watch it on C4. The strength of the show was down to the four of them and without three of the main components, it just doesn't work for me. :(

I am loving the current series though and am just trying to make the most of what's left.  :wibbly:

I'm not much enamoured of Mel and Sue (in particular, I find Sue annoying, although the way Mel moos "Bake!" every time is particularly annoying too!), so I don't care that they won't be in Bake Off on Ch4. I'm glad Paul is staying, because of the two judges, I like him best (Mary is nice enough, but I'm sick to death of hearing her go on about how she's looking for "sheer perfection" - it's the only phrase she seems to know!). I would love it if Kirsty Allsop became one of the presenters, or even the sole presenter - I love her to bits, and find her cozy and sweet. I love watching her shows where she takes part in country fair competitions, and she looks like she enjoys a particular fondness for cakes and pastries - a woman after my own heart - I could be really good friends with a woman like that! As for a second judge, I don't know - I can't think of any other famous bakers. Perhaps Paul could carry the show alone!

Suggestions I've seen:

Alan Carr .. No!

Nigella Lawson .. Not really

Rylan Clark .. Please no!

Sarah Millican .. No thank you

Davina .. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Rosemary Shrager: God no!

Cherish Finden: *Head in hands*

I have absolutely no idea who the people highlighted in red above are!  :lol:    Please, no Davina. :doh:

I suppose French & Saunders are a possibility for hosts.. if they're up for it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Rosemary Schrager is a professional chef but she hosts quite a lot of other shows so might not be available.

Rylan is some X Factor runner-up, he's on Good Morning Britain (not that I watch it much, one of the good things about being at work! is not having to sit through inane daytime TV...)

No idea who Cherish is though.

I personally love Mel and Sue, but I do think they are the kind of presenters who you either love or hate.

I can't really think of anyone who would be suitable as replacements, either as a presenter or a judge, but regardless of who they get not everyone will be happy and it will be a risk.  Look at what happened with Top Gear after they replaced Jeremy, Richard and James; they kept to the same format and it was a bit of a disaster.  Maybe it would be better if they did change the format slightly so that they can keep comparisons to how it used to be to how it is now to a minimum.  Whoever takes over will be in for a lot of criticism and has a hard job to fill.

Loved last night's show by the way.  Some of those showstopper cakes were amazing.

Yes there were some fab cakes weren't they, Selasi's looked so professional although I thought Candice's was a bit of a mess.  Poor Andrew looked shaky for the first time.

I've never watched X Factor either but Rylan seems to be fairly ubiquitous, I don't think he won but I think that runners-up seem to have more chance of a career than the winners (except for Will Young). 

Cherish Finden is (was? .. I don't know if it's been recommissioned) a judge on the GBBO spin off Creme de la Creme. She's the executive pastry chef at The Langham in London. She's usually on Extra Slice at some point. Bit lacking in humour .. or at least on Creme de la Creme. Quite strict  :hide: 

I love Mel and Sue and always have. They just tickle me. I love them individually and together .. they are hosting perfection as far as I'm concerned .. and part of what makes the Bake Off such a joy to watch. 

As for the current series. I am loving Selasi  :smile: .. I need him in my kitchen, surely then I'd be able to chill. He needs to do life coaching  :D Fingers crossed he gets named star baker at some point  :blush2: 

Edited by poppyshake

...although I thought Candice's was a bit of a mess.

I thought the exact same.  Well done her for meeting all the requirements of the challenge (different flavourings, an extra layer than everyone else etc.) but I really didn't think much of the overall look of it.  It was a complete mess.

I love Mel and Sue and always have. They just tickle me. I love them individually and together .. they are hosting perfection as far as I'm concerned .. and part of what makes the Bake Off such a joy to watch.  

I completely agree with you.  It just won't be the same without them.

I personally wouldn't want Kirstie Allsopp to host. That would be the final Channel 4 straw for me .. that might be worse than Davina :D As I doubt I'll watch though it doesn't really matter. I see she's in hot water about food shaming someone .. criticising their choice of breakfast and getting very annoyed at the replies to her original tweet. People are right though, she doesn't know if it was breakfast for that person .. and even if it was .. not her business. She went on to make a judgement about their fitness/weight too. If she's going to start worrying about healthy eating then she's not the woman for Bake Off that's for sure. She might have just tweeted herself out of a job.

I personally wouldn't want Kirstie Allsopp to host. That would be the final Channel 4 straw for me .. that might be worse than Davina :D As I doubt I'll watch though it doesn't really matter. I see she's in hot water about food shaming someone .. criticising their choice of breakfast and getting very annoyed at the replies to her original tweet. People are right though, she doesn't know if it was breakfast for that person .. and even if it was .. not her business. She went on to make a judgement about their fitness/weight too. If she's going to start worrying about healthy eating then she's not the woman for Bake Off that's for sure. She might have just tweeted herself out of a job.

I'd never heard of Kirstie Allsop before, but just had to see what all the tweet furore was about.

The poor chappie had been imprudent enough to have a ham and cheese sandwich, a croissant and a cappuchino for breakfast. Terribly unhealthy according to her, it contained no greens, vitamin C or water. I'd be very interested to know just how many people do consume greens for breakfast, not something I've even contemplated.

In that case, she'd definitely not be suitable as a GBBO judge, it would be very hypercritical of her to sample much of the rich, sweet and fatty food the bakers are often required to make.

Had to laugh at one of the tweet replies :giggle2:

@KirstieMAllsopp

It covers the main food groups:

Carbohydrates

Protein

Fat

Caffeine

French food

Annoying Kirstie Allsopp

• 2 weeks later...