Great British Bake Off (Includes Spoilers)

baby.giraffe

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really enjoying it, although I think some of the showstoppers are now getting a bit ridiculous … who on earth bakes a three-tier cheesecake?????

I thought that. They must be running out of ideas. I loved Nadja's one though, with the can of soda hovering over and pouring soda everywhere.

This is the first time we've watched it from the beginning. We came to it for the first time about half way through the last season and got hooked. We're SO hooked that Hubby decided to bake his own birthday cake a few weeks ago - the first cake he's ever baked! It was pretty good too! :)

I love GBBO. I've watched it right from the start. It often inspires me to start wanting to bake again, but rarely enough for me to actually follow it through. :lol:

I love BBBO too, but instead of inspiring me to bake, it just makes me hungry :JC_cookies:

I thought my heart would break for Alvin this week :( However .. very, very glad that Nadiya stayed as she is one of my faves and it was the right decision. Very happy for Mat to get star baker .. bless him .. he was chuffed to bits.

Looking forward to seeing Alvin on Extra Slice .. it'll stop me feeling so sad about it (as I'm sure he's cheered up since :D) It was just the way he was apologising for his bakes and calling Paul 'sir' all the time .. just made my heart go all wobbly  :blush2: I just wanted to hug him. So much time pressure .. I think they all do remarkably well to get anything decent out .. especially with a cameraman breathing down their necks .. their bottoms were only a tiny bit soggy. Let's face it .. they would have passed muster on most of our tea tables :D

Loving Mel and Sue as always and love Mary & Paul. Paul is fond of giving 'the look' but I think it's mostly to give a contrast to Mary and to add some drama.

Probably my favourite bake has been Nadiya's fizzy pop cheesecakes .. just amazing! But I would have eaten all of those frangipane tarts .. soggy bottom or no soggy bottom :D especially Tamal's (and he can hand feed it to me please  :giggle: ) Thought Paul's technical was a bit daft though .. nobody had heard of it .. not even Mary. You can't help thinking that it puts this year's bakers in a far more difficult position than previous because in the past they've at least had something to go on even if they've only seen pictures. What with the Spanische windtorte and the gluten/sugar/taste free stuff as well .. the class of 2015 have got it hard!

At the moment .. rooting for Tamal and Nadiya  :smile: Hope one of them at least makes the final. Like Mat also and Flora .. Paul is a really good baker (and I laughed so much over the gusset for his fondant lady last week :D ) and so is Ian .. but I've not really warmed to them.

It was definitely time for Alvin to go, and I know they have to create some dramatic tension, but it was obvious that Nadiya wouldn't go as her frangipane tart was highly praised, whereas all Alvin's bakes had problems this week (and he's struggled a bit in previous weeks as well at times).

My final favourites at the moment are Nadiya, Tamal and Flora, although I think Ian is more likely to be one of the finalists.  Dead chuffed to see Mat get Star Baker this week, he's good fun, and it's always nice to see it spread around! I get slightly irritated by the way Paul talks to camera as if he is a celebrity chef teaching us how to bake, so he'd be my favourite to go next, whereas I'd be sad to lose any of the others.

I thought they sent home the right one as well.  He'd been struggling with his timings every week.  And there's been a few times that he hadn't finished the bake.  But there was always someone worse than him.  

Now we're at the sharp end and good bakers will start leaving.

I am pleased for Nadiya.  I'd love her to win it.  

• 4 weeks later...

So, so, so, so, so, so HAPPY!! :cows: :cows: :cows: Well done Nadiya!! Who cried?? :D I did .. buckets. Was bad enough and then Mary started  :cry2:  :cry2:  :cry2:  :D

Great final .. and for once not that nerve wracking for Nadiya fans as she absolutely stormed it.

I was glad that Tamal and Ian got their act together for the showstopper round .. I did love the look of Tamal's ghostly Miss Havisham cake but Nadiya was just so in control .. even though she was nervous. 

One of the best series of the Bake Off ever .. contestant wise (though some of the themes I thought were ridiculous.) Sad to see it go :( but we still have the Extra Slice to look forward to. Thank God for Strictly .. think I would be dead miserable now without it.  :blush2:  :D 

I can echo everything you said, Kay!!!! I was happy after the signature bake, delighted after the technical, and ecstatic after the showstopper. And I cried too. More than once. Just thought I was done, then Mary got me. Then after it had finished I went onto Twitter and saw so much love for Nadia and people saying they'd wept too, that set me off again. (I'm welling up again now, but I'm a sentimental old fool :roll:)

I think this is one of the best finals we've had for a while. I loved that each bake was achievable … that's not always been the case in the final (I still seethe about that stupid wedding cake challenge a couple of years ago :irked:), and I think it made it far more engaging.

We talked about it at work today and all agreed the one we most wanted to taste was Tamal's toffee pudding cake, which sounded delicious … although we had to laugh about the spoon being frozen in the toffee :lol:

I was in floods when Nadiya won it - so very well deserved! We've loved this series of GBBO - brilliant from start to finish.

On a side note, hubby and I said Nadiya was going to win it in the very first episode, before they'd even started baking! :)

• 11 months later...

Anyone watching the new series?  I'm really enjoying it so far (nothing new there then! :D) although I was a little bit disappointed with "bread" week which didn't seem to include much actual bread - so many weeks are dominated by sweet bakes, that it would have been nice to have at least two savoury bread bakes, but we had the chocolate signature bake and the sweet dampfnudel technical challenge.

I like almost all of the bakers this year, just one or two that make me roll my eyes a bit, and I can't believe Val has managed to scrape through two out of three weeks and only really stayed in this week because of winning the technical challenge.  I wonder if she's going to be one of those contestants that is just slightly better than the worst baker each week and still be there in the final weeks? :D

My favourites are Selasi who is so laid back, I just love him. I also like Benjamin and Rav, although Rav had a bit of a shocker this week, so hopefully he'll be better this week.

Another disappointing week might be ahead with it being "batter" week - you don't really bake batter, do you?  I can just about see them getting away with Yorkshire puddings, but everything else doesn't look like baking to me.  Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. :dunno:

Apparently it's being picked up by Channel 4, but as there is a clause in the original BBC contract that if someone else picks it up, it has to be at least a year after the end of the last BBC season of it before a new season can be shown elsewhere, we could be in for a bit of a wait!

No talk yet on whether Mary, Paul, Mel or Sue will be transferring with the show, although Paul and Mary previously said they were keen to stay with the BBC, so when it does show up on Channel 4, there's a good chance it could be almost unreconisable as the show we all know and love! Not to mention there'll now be adverts in it. Will this now mean the show is shorter?

It's currently an hour per episode with no breaks - if the length were kept the same, there would be around 40-45 minutes of actual show with 15-20 minutes of breaks. Or do they make it an hour and a half to keep the full length of the show and include the breaks as extra? And will there be stupid reminders of what happened before the break each time we return? And also "coming up after the break" spoilers?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, I'm happy we'll still have Bake Off, but will it be anything like the show we have now? Only time will tell!

I don't watch it religiously myself but catch the odd episode here and there if I'm flicking through the channels etc. but what I have seen I've really enjoyed.  I'm really not sure what it's going to be like now it's moving to Channel 4; seems a bit of a weird channel for it to be going to, to be honest.  Not sure that it 'fits in' but there we go.  I'm assuming Channel 4 are hoping to get the following/viewing figures it gets on the BBC although I very much doubt that that's going to happen.  Seems like the makers of the show are just after more money if you ask me!

I see the latest news is that Mel and Sue will not be going with it, so that doesn't bode well.

It's been quite investing to read articles by media journalists and find out some of the theories around the whole furore that this news has generated.

Channel 4 would be happy with half the audience viewing figures that the Bake Off currently has, and that would still make it their most successful programme.  Lord Grade gave an interview and said that C4 have shot them self in the foot with this.  I'm not 100% clear on the details, but from what I understand, C4 is a publicly owned corporation that is part of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, and have remit to produce programming for viewers not met by other broadcasters and to be innovative and inventive.  The government wanted to privatise C4 a couple of years ago, but it was rejected and yet they've still argued against privatisation over the last year based on their remit, so taking on a programme from the BBC does not meet this brief and has undermined their own case.

It won't be the same show, particularly with Mel and Sue already having stepped away (and well done them!), and from what I've heard and read, I can't see Mary Berry staying (plus she'll be 82 when the first celebrity editions are shown on C4 and 83 by the time the next full series comes around, although she's amazing to still be working on television at her age anyway).  Paul Hollywood has been quiet for the last couple of days - I haven't seen him post anything on Twitter or Instagram, which is unusual for him, so I really don't have a feel for whether he might be tempted to negotiate to stay, but he has said in the past that it wouldn't work without the four of them together, so I'd be a bit surprised if he stayed knowing that Mel and Sue have already said no.

My guess is that they won't change the format too much initially, and that the history bits will be the ones to go to allow time for adverts (they already cut these out when the old series are shown on digital channels to keep the running time to an hour), but who knows?  I'll probably watch it anyway, but will probably grumble and moan that "it's not the same" and I can't see me getting excited and looking forward to it as much as I have done on the BBC.

Only just started watching this, it's been series 5 here on the Food Channel and I'm loving it. Sad if any of the cast leave, Sue is particularly hilarious, but Mel is very funny too, they work so well together. And I just love Mary Berry. At least I know we have one more series to watch here with them all.