Great British Bake Off (Includes Spoilers)

baby.giraffe

I just caught up on Episode 2 and I want people to geek out with! It really makes me want to bake too which I feel like I have don't in ages. :(

I think I only started watching at the back end of the last series because I realised it was Mel & Sue. Boy I miss "Light Lunch"...anyone remember that?

I figured I had to start a topic here too because after scanning the others I don't seem to watch / like any of them. I'm so bad with popular culture! :doh:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love GBBO! I also haven't baked in ages - it requires too much time in one chunk, and I just don't have it, but whenever I watch the programme, I get itchy fingers and want to get out in the kitchen and get my hands in the flour and butter.

Mel and Sue turn it from a bog standard cooking show into a proper piece of entertainment - both funny when they find something they like and wolf it down after the judges have left :lol: I don't know if it was Light Lunch, but I remember watching a show they did but I thought it was on at about 5pm, but maybe I recorded it during the day then watched it when I got home from work? Either way, it was brilliant, and I love the two of them together.

I can't believe Rob didn't go this week. You can't drop a cake on the floor one week then produce 24 tarts that are completely wrong from the pastry to the filling to the topping, and get away with it, no matter how much promise you have. One of the two you could get away with, but both? Still, I don't think the guy who went would have won anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I missed it this week must catch up on the repeats but I loved the last series, did you see the one off prog they did where the 3 finalists did 2 types of wedding cakes a traditional and a modern twist they could chose....fantastic..

who went this week?

I am with you Baby-giraffe

never been much of a baker (love doing the mixing and everything but am always disappointed with the results) but I have been itching to make lemon tart since watching prog 2 even though I have never made pastry, I don't like pastry and I am not all that keen on lemons either.

Mel and Sue turn it from a bog standard cooking show into a proper piece of entertainment - both funny when they find something they like and wolf it down after the judges have left :lol: I don't know if it was Light Lunch, but I remember watching a show they did but I thought it was on at about 5pm, but maybe I recorded it during the day then watched it when I got home from work? Either way, it was brilliant, and I love the two of them together.

they did Light Lunch at lunchtime and then later on they did do a evening version that was called something else but I cannot remember what that was called. We definitely need more Mel and Sue on tv they are soo much better than the maajority of female presenters that we are forced to put up with.

WARNING - I was innocently browsing the books in tescos saw the book that accompanies this series and saw that one of the contestants is standing next to Mary Berry on the front cover I can only assume that this person is the overall winner so if you don't want to know who wins don't go book shopping until the series is over.

who went this week?

I can't remember his name but it was the guy who plays rugby and made guinness muffins in the first week

Edited by Easy Reader

I can't believe Rob didn't go this week. You can't drop a cake on the floor one week then produce 24 tarts that are completely wrong from the pastry to the filling to the topping, and get away with it, no matter how much promise you have. One of the two you could get away with, but both? Still, I don't think the guy who went would have won anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I completely agree Mel & Sue are totally right for it. I think you are thinking of "Late Lunch" which was the same sort of program only they moved it to the later time slot. Anyone remember the band? Steve, Matt, Dillon & Dan! They always had a different food based pun name every week. :giggle2:

Yeah I thought Rob was going, he's pretty disaster prone. I must admit I do have a bit of a soft spot for him with his floppy hair and all. He'll probably be out next week unless he plays a blinder which seems unlikely!

I missed it this week must catch up on the repeats but I loved the last series, did you see the one off prog they did where the 3 finalists did 2 types of wedding cakes a traditional and a modern twist they could chose....fantastic..

I always watch it on the iplayer. I'm terrible with remembering when things are on. I almost have nostalgic memories of being able to miss things! Its so hard to do now. No I don't think I remember the wedding cakes. I didn't watch the whole last series either.

never been much of a baker (love doing the mixing and everything but am always disappointed with the results) but I have been itching to make lemon tart since watching prog 2 even though I have never made pastry, I don't like pastry and I am not all that keen on lemons either.

I tend to stick to buns or flapjack in the main now I want to branch out! I know what you mean too I'm not over keen on lemon tart but now feel like trying to make one. Bet someone would eat it!

Thanks for the heads up on the book too. I hate finding out the winners early. My sister normally ends up texting me and telling me :doh: She's always doing that with Masterchef.

Yeap Simon is gone. He was pretty so so the whole time. Yay for Jason as top baker too.

Edited by baby.giraffe

Yeah I thought Rob was going, he's pretty disaster prone. I must admit I do have a bit of a soft spot for him with his floppy hair and all.

:giggle2: He brings out the old woman in me I keep thinking if only he would get his hair out of his eyes he would able to concentrate on what he is doing.

So now I watched episode 2. What a great show, I really enjoyed it! I hope I will remember to watch it on Tuesday. I'm really curious because of the theme. Making bread? I'm not sure that English people can make good bread (please don't take offence, but I'm from Germany, the country with the hundreds or thousands of different breads :) )

So looking forward to the show, maybe they can change my opinion!

Edited by Julia

I'm hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised Julia, and home bakers and artisan bakers I know make wonderful bread. You do have to make an effort to find it, as supermarket bread is made to last, and I think that's what most people think of when they think of bread over here. We visit a market town once a month, and the baker there makes an amazing array of bread, and the smell of his shop is heavenly. We always come away with a couple of loaves which are without fail wonderful.

Did anyone watch this last night I am not sure I agree with who they voted off, yeah I could understand the man going he was rather inept but I thought the woman who went was a little harshly judged and personally would have gotten rid of the one whose basket collapsed (still not sure about the emphasis on creating the bread basket...fascinating but a bit pointless) or even the younger guy who completely undercooked his breads and over salted his food, thats a massive basic mistake.

loving it still though might even go for the book once the series is over.

I thought it was strange that two people went I am sure they could have waited until nearer the end of the series before having a double eviction.

Not so bothered about that man going as he didn't really seem to be up to the standard anyway but I thought the woman had more potential so it was a shame to see her go. (note to self pay attention to peoples names)

• 3 weeks later...

WARNING - I was innocently browsing the books in tescos saw the book that accompanies this series and saw that one of the contestants is standing next to Mary Berry on the front cover I can only assume that this person is the overall winner so if you don't want to know who wins don't go book shopping until the series is over.

Just to let you know you are now safe to look at the book my theory is wrong as it is Rob on the front of the book and now clearly not the winner.

Can't believe Jason went too this week after two weeks of being star baker.

I can't believe who was in the bottom two this week, as one of them was the person I think will win overall! I've been loving this series so much, and I've become a bit addicted to baking programmes on the food channels now - I've been watching DC Cupcakes, Ace of Cakes, Perfect Cakes and Cupcake Wars. I suspect when I've got a bit more time in a couple of weeks I'm going to be branching out into actually baking myself. I'd love to try some cupcakes and test out some of the different icings I've been looking up.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it's the final, all the listings show it as episode 8 out of 11, so I'm hoping there's three more weeks with either some new competition of some sort!

ooo do they?

That makes me happier though I wonder what they'll do with the final episodes though.

Just been looking and on Thursday evening there is the first of two Masterclass episodes, with Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood showing how to make some of their favourite recipes, but not sure what the final 11th episode will be.

The masterclass episodes sound interesting. I saw The Great British Bake Off Cookbook in Tesco and I am tempted to buy it, but I think I'll wait until I invest in some better scales.

Who do you think is going to win it?

I quite like Holly. She's the one who has impressed me the most in the entire series but I do quite like Mary Ann too. Mary Ann reminds me of my mum because of her love for cook books including really old ones.

I'm absolutely delighted for Jo, she and Holly were my favourites from the start, and although I think Holly was more consistent and had some of the most memorable bakes (those macaroons will be forever in my mind!), I think that winning will have more of an impact on Jo's life. I think it will give her the confidence boost that she obviously needs in order to believe in herself. I think Holly will benefit from being one of the finalists and will build on this experience in order to make a career out of baking.

"Go Jo" was trending on Twitter tonight, and I found out both Jo and Holly are on twitter and although you can never really tell, it does look like they've become good friends which is an even more lovely thing (I know, I'm a sentimental fool!).

Edited by chesilbeach