Jack Sheffield

fluffy1181

Are they fiction or non-fiction?

ETA: Seems they are fiction - I always thought they were autobiographical.

ETA (Again!) - I love the covers - so pretty! :D

Have either of you tried any of Gervase Phinn's books? They're about his time as a school inspector - they're non-fiction, but very funny! :)

Edited by Janet

Ah, that's where I remember them from. I've seen them a lot in Waterstone's and I've often thought of reading them, but for some reason I thought they were memoir (like Gervase Phinn) not fiction. Because I thought they were memoir, I thought they were going to be too similar to the fabulous Gervase Phinn books but now I realise they're fiction, I might give them a go at some point.

I was confused too, Claire, because the main character seems to have the same name as the author - and the 'blurb' on the The Book People site says:

When Jack Sheffield took on the job of headmaster in a small village school he had no idea what the job would throw at him over the next two decades. From a caretaker with spelling problems and a Margaret Thatcher-loving secretary to a five-year-old boy whose language is colourful in the extreme, Jack's encounters make for hilarious and moving reading. For all fans of the gentle Yorkshire humour of James Herriot or Gervase Phinn, these teaching tales are a treat!

But they're on Fantastic Fiction and are also merchandised with fiction, so I guess maybe they're semi-autobiographical - or started out that way? I might see if I can get the first one from the library. I've seen them quite often in charity shops too.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! I'm about half way through and it's really fun to read!

Hehe, I just commented on your introduction thread, asking you how you liked the book so far, and well here it is, the answer :D I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it, and I'm very much looking forward to reading it myself, I could do with a fun read right about now :)