Mysteries set in English Villages

Hi all, I have a new addiction. I've never been a big mystery fan but after reading some Elizabeth George and watching Midsomer Murders and such I find that I am drawn to those types of mysteries set in English hamlets and villages. I love them for their quirky characters and because they are less gruesome. I also love the "coziness" of it. Anyway, what I want to know is do you know of any other writers who write these kinds of mysteries?

I know about Caroline Graham and P.D. James, Elizabeth George and Agatha Christie. Any others? Oh, and I love those set in Ireland and Scotland also!

You could try the M. C. Beaton Agatha Raisin series, murder mysteries set in the Cotswolds, and she also writes Hamish Macbeth books too, although I've only seen the television series, not read the books, but based on that, I think they'd fit the bill. You can find out more info at www.agatharaisin.com

You could try the M. C. Beaton Agatha Raisin series, murder mysteries set in the Cotswolds, and she also writes Hamish Macbeth books too, although I've only seen the television series, not read the books, but based on that, I think they'd fit the bill. You can find out more info at www.agatharaisin.com

Haha, Agatha Raisin is hilarious. I started her books earlier this year and after reading one, I then download the next onto kindle and so on. Well worth the read.

Very favorite of english mystery stories for me are Ellis Peters mysteries about monk in england named Brother Cadfael who solves murders in england in middle ages.

My favourite of all books are Brother Cadfael. If you want to go down the medieval route, there is a great series of books by Paul Doherty called the Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan which take place in Southwark in South London. His descriptions of London are fantastic (Southwark being more like a village than a suburb in those days). There is also a series of books centred in Exeter by Bernard Knight called Crowner John which are worth exploring.

You could try Martin Edwards Lake District mystery series set in villages around the area.

Great set of books these. I read them a while back when I was visiting the Lake District. I believe there are 4 in all.

There is a good series of books set between the two wars about Maisie Dobbs who is a private investigator. Although she is based in London, her work often takes her out to the Kent countryside (based not too far from my home actually). Very enjoyable series too. The write, Jacqueline Winspear is a Kent girl who now lives in US.

The Inspector Morse series are great too, Katrina, set in the town of Oxford, by Colin Dexter.

Edited by SueK

I've seen the Brother Cadfael movies and loved them, didnt realize they were books!

SueK, I've seen the Maisie Dobb books and perused them. I thought they were more London?

Whilst going through my almost 900 books, I came across English country House Murders, edited by Thomas Godrey and The Mammoth Book of Historical Detectives, edited by Mike Ashley. I'm hoping I can sneak a read here and there while keeping up with my school reading!

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but the thread title reminded me of the title that's on my TBR and which has been recommended reading here on BCF: The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale. It's actually a true crime story, which is why I don't know if you'd go for it, but people seem to have liked it anyhow :)

Dorothy L Sayers and her wonderful Lord Peter Wimsey series are definitely worth reading. They are brilliantly written stories, with strong and well drawn characters. You will adore Lord Peter, his family and friends, and I defy you not to wish you had a friend like Harriet in your life. :)

:she: Loved her books too and was a big admirer of Harriet.

Edited by poppy

This is a favourite type of book of mine however I am not keen on Medieval Books so I didn't get on with Brother Cadfael, I just don't seem to relate to them, I am intrigued by Martin Edwards Lake District books, only recently came across the name, not read any yet, but I have high hopes when I get roundtuit, as I love the Lake District.

Katrina, Alan Bradley has some lovely little mysteries that might fit what you're looking for. They are the Flavia de Luce Mysteries and there are 3 titles out so far, with the 4th set to release in November:

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag

A Red Herring Without Mustard

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows

I've read the first two and absolutely LOVED them! They are light, sometimes humorous mysteries set in a little English village.