Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Janet

I remember reading it at school, and really enjoying it. I recently (i.e in the last 5 years) re-read it, and found that the last few pages where a bit preachy which I don't remember from school. I suppose it could be that we had a "school" version, in which the last pages were edited out. That would be ironic.

Still, if want bleak, read " The road to Wigan Pier"

Ian

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I reread the book last year, its a really great read. I remember beign assigned it in school years ago and not being "convinced" by its story, now Im not so sure.

Look at how much freedom is lost already in the name of "Laura Norder", if anything the UK looks the closest in spirit, if not in deed (yet).

Place the following search terms in your browser if you want to worry. (I havent done the minimum posts to put links in yet so sorry)

Classrom spying.

School laptops and remote surveilance

Free laptops to kids UK.

Now if I were paranoid.......:smile2:

I read it a few years ago and its one of my favourites, as is Huxley's Brave New World.

The prophetic nature of these two books have informed the imaginations of some other novels I've read.

Ben Elton's Blind Faith springs to mind.

The torture scene in 1984 had a profound effect on me and it stayed with me for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the few film versions of a book I would recommend (yes still read the book first as it will give you better insight), catch 22 would be the other one btw.

The cast is great and they kept as close to the book as I think any film could do. It was made in the same area and at the same time the book was set, knowing that seemed to add an extra chill factor. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Having just read this book and read this thread, i would also like to add my thoughts. I agree that it is a very bleak and pessimistic novel but the themes of governmental control, the hierarchy of society and the nature of war is absolutely relevant to the times we live in. Some of his predictions with regards technology were perhaps a bit off but one could argue that the 'proloterian' class of society is monitored by mobile phones and email and cctv etc but mind you, Orwell states that the common person does not need to be watched as they do not have either the resources or intelligence to realize that the world is anything ither than what they see. A very true and powerful statement!

I sense from this book, as well as Animal Farm, that Orwell was deeply miserable about the nature and inequality of society i.e. rich are always rich, poor are always poor, the minority control the majority, all life is concerned with a power struggle amongst the rich 5% etc etc, he saw these harsh facts daily in his life and attempted to change them through a theme of rebellion both with Winston and Julia and the animals overthrowing the farmkeeper. A very intelligent man.

I was quite young when i read 1984 & although i thought it was a good book i did find it depressing. Perhaps i'll reread it to see if i feel differently about it now i'm older.

I sense from this book, as well as Animal Farm, that Orwell was deeply miserable about the nature and inequality of society i.e. rich are always rich, poor are always poor, the minority control the majority, all life is concerned with a power struggle amongst the rich 5% etc etc, he saw these harsh facts daily in his life and attempted to change them through a theme of rebellion both with Winston and Julia and the animals overthrowing the farmkeeper. A very intelligent man.

I think you might like Coming up for Air, which, although different has the same theme of 'miserable poor'.

I love his books - I still have a couple to read - Keep the Aspidistra Flying (on mount 'to read'), Homage to Catalonia and Burmese Days - and his essays - I intend to read them all eventually.

From a non-fiction point of view, Down and Out in Paris in London is excellent.

I think you might like Coming up for Air, which, although different has the same theme of 'miserable poor'.

I love his books - I still have a couple to read - Keep the Aspidistra Flying (on mount 'to read'), Homage to Catalonia and Burmese Days - and his essays - I intend to read them all eventually.

From a non-fiction point of view, Down and Out in Paris in London is excellent.

Yes, i intend to read a few more of his books thanks for the recommendation. I find him easily to be one of the most astounding authors i have ever read, in that his predictions about the future and government and even education were for the most part spot on. I have now read Animal Farm 3 times and each time i have gotten another message from it, a truly brilliant book.

• 1 year later...

I read 1984 when I was probably in Junior High and I liked it, then I read it again as an adult and also liked it, though at that point it pretty much scared the hell out of me as I live in post 9/11 America where it almost became a reality after the attacks. This book is absolutely amazing to me, and I agree with every single person who has said this book is relevant today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that the prophecy of Brave New World by Huxley is a more probable prophecy rather than the one of 1984, therefore if I had to choose between these two, I'd say that it's more likely that our society might head towards the Brave New World portrayed by Huxley rather than towards Orwell's scenario, it being understood that they are both dystopian novels.

Nonetheless Orwell was a great prophet and is one of my favourite English authors; I think that his idea of Newspeak is genial, but he took inspiration mainly from the European dictatorships that took over in many countries in the 20's and 30's, and that form of government is now over almost all across the world.

Wow I have to say, I am really wanting to read 1984 now after I have looked at this thread, it sounds really fascinating. I have never read it before - however my mum has the full works of George Orwell so I will be getting that out later for a gander. Thanks for the inspiration! :D