Transworld Book Group

Kell

I know there are a few people taking part in the Transworld Bok Group this year and thought it might be nice to have a thread for it.

If anyone is interested in officially joining, they're still taking people living in the EU till the end of August - you just have to leave a comment on theor post HERE then llet them know your four choices.

Of course, if you don't live in the EU and want to take part, you can always choose four books and either buy or borrow them yourself.

The books on the list are:

1. The Sandalwood Tree by Elle Newmark

2. Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll

3. The Secrets Between Us by Louise Douglas

4. Teacher, Teacher! by Jack Sheffield

5. Death Sentence by Mikkel Birkegaard

6. Crippen by John Boyne

7. Caligula by Douglas Jackson

8. Twelve by Jasper Kent

9. The Obscure Logic of the Heart by Priya Basil

10. Nothing But Trouble by Rachel Gibson

11. The Colour of Death by Michael Cordy

12. Odin’s Mission by James Holland

13. Legacy by Danielle Steel

14. The Water Room by Christopher Fowler

15. The Bomber by Liza Marklund

twbookgrouplogo1.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

overviewph.jpg

My four choices are:

1. Caligula by Douglas Jackson

2. Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll

3. Crippen by John Boyne

4. The Colour of Death by Michael Cordy

I've finished the first book (Caligula) and have just received my second book (Black Swan Rising) this morning, so I'll be starting it within the next couple of days at the latest (if not tonight!).

You can see my review for Caligula by Douglas Jackson HERE.

twbookgrouplogo1.th.jpg

I'm taking part in this one too. I really had a hard time picking the four books that I wanted to read, but I eventually settled on,

1- Black Swan Rising – Lee Carroll

2- Teacher, Teacher! – Jack Sheffield

3- Caligula – Douglas Jackson

4- Odin’s Mission by James Holland.

I'm just over halfway through Black Swan Rising at the minute and really enjoying it!

I think ill be reading more than four though becuase a couple of the others sound brilliant too!

This sounds amazing and I'd like to take part in it, the only problem is I have an account on Amazon, but cannot post a review until I've purchased something from there, and I don't have a reading blog and I would feel like a cheat if I would start one to do this (even if I then continued with the blog, after reading the four books and posting about them). I don't suppose they'd settle for a review on BCF :rolleyes:

Well I should not be greedy and a book hoarder.

Have fun you guys! :smile2:

First review done:

Black Swan Rising is the first book in a dark urban fantasy series. It’s written by a husband and wife team, which seems to work in its favour. Carol is the novelist, and Lee is a poet, and his influence shows in the writing.

The main character, Garet Jones, is in her 20s, and dealing with problems – she has an elderly father, and they are struggling with debts in a failing economy. When she discovers an unusual silver box to which she seems to have connections, she agrees to try to open it. From this point on, she starts to find her world shifting. She’s introduced to the world of fey, meets goblins, a dragon and a vampire, and comes face to face with the demons of Dispair and Discord.

As a keen YA reader, I expected this to be similar to most other paranormal romance books out there, but it has a more adult feel to it. There is a lot of fantasy, and yet at the same time it seems to remain grounded in the real world. Garet takes time to come to terms with her discoveries, and she takes the reader with her. In addition, the characters aren’t black and white – there’s always that sense that some may not be what they seem, and should not be trusted.

Of course some of the ideas and characters have been done before, I think a totally unique book in this crowded genre is impossible. However, the overall story line is something I haven’t come across before, and there are some great character creations.

It’s a fast paced book, with plenty of details, story threads and characters throughout. Whilst I needed to know what would happen, I was sad to finish and leave the world. Thankfully the 2nd book is already published, so I will be returning soon.

For fans of urban fantasy, this is highly recommended.

How long did it take for you guys to get e-mail from the TBGRC?

I'm pretty much set on Teacher, Teacher!, Crippen and The Water Room, and I'm still trying to decide whether to get Black Swan Rising or Caligula. Or maybe I should get both of them and forget about The Water Room. A very difficult choice!

I got the e-mail today, hurray! A happy day for frankie.

My final choices were:

1. Teacher, Teacher! by Jack Sheffield

2. Crippen by John Boyne

3. The Water Room by Christopher Fowler

4. Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll

I was almost going for Caligula which initially didn't sound at all the type of book I would read but which then started to sound more and more interesting, each time I read the synopsis. I went for Black Swan Rising in the end, however, because it's been on my wishlist for almost a year, and well, because some of you seem to have really enjoyed it :smile2:

Muchos grazias to Kell who started this thread, I wouldn't have found about it any other way! :flowers2:

Edit: And by the way, how great is it that they are also catering for other EU countries, and not just UK?! I'm loving it! Although I am a bit bummed for the non-EU European countries.

Edited by frankie

On Saturday I wrote back to the people on the Transworld thingy, with my choices and details, and I also asked in the same e-mail if it was okay that I posted my reviews here on BCF, because I cannot post reviews on Amazon and I don't have a reading blog myself. They got back to me today, and it was a very delightful message:

"Hi Sari,

Of course, posting the reviews on the Book Club Forum is fine. Thank you for letting me know and I completely understand, it’s very frustrating that you can’t review on Amazon unless you have made a purchase. I’ll get your first book in the post."

How great is that? They took the time to read my extra blabberings and gave me the green light :D

Now I will just have to wait til I receive my first book :cool:

I only put my name forward yesterday, and I have just had an email to say I was accepted so pleased.

My 4 choices are

The secrets between us....Louise Douglas

Nothing but Trouble....Rachel Gibson

Legacy....Danielle Steel

Teacher, Teacher....Jack Sheffield

Can I ask a silly question, I received my book 'The Secrets Between Us', it looks brilliant, what I want to know, is when I have read the book do I have to send it back.

I'm pretty positive that we don't have to send the books back, otherwise that would've been clearly stated in the rules somewhere. So enjoy the books! :)