Ben Elton - Blast From the Past

Kell

Author: Ben Elton

ISBN # 0552146641

Whenever I know I'm not going to have much reading time, I like to nip back to an older favourite, most often one I've read many times. On this occasion I was actually looking for my copy of Past Mortem, but I found Blast from the Past first & decided to re-read it instead. I wasn't disappointed.

All those little plot twists I'd forgotten were recognised & welcomed like old friends as they approached & I'll admit I found myself grinning from ear to ear every time I picked up the book to continue, as I knew, from experience, exactly what was coming next.

This is actually the first book I read by Ben Elton & it still manages to hold up against some of his later, more polished offerings; the sparkling wit & punchy plot are there, all set out with a simplicity that is perfection. I still honestly believe that this is one of his best novels to date.

Even if it weren't, it served as a reminder of how clever Mr Elton can be when he puts his mind to it & makes up for me being bored to tears throughout High Society last week!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I just finished this book. The story was great - keeps you on your toes all the time, however, I was not convinced with the ending - it seemed as if the author wanted to finish the book and could not make up his mind how he will end the story. The fact that

Jack shot himself rather than it be known that he had had an affair some 16 years previously

seemed a bit of a dodgy ending. Would a person actually do that? I find it hard to believe! Other than that the book is a marvellous adventure - I read it almost in one sitting!

I think it's very much a book of its time in that way, Maureen. It's the dilemma he faces due to the social constraints and his career ambitions etc, etc. Great read though. :friends0: