A Dance with Dragons

sod

I've just finished reading 'A Dance with Dragons', and I have to say that George RR certainly knows how to draw out a story, at the end of 'A feast for Crows' I really thought that the 5th book would see a conclusion, however we are left waiting. Here's hoping that the 6th book will give us all the conclusion to Mr Martins great tale. :D

• 5 months later...

I see A Dance with Dragons is getting released in paperback next month - in two parts (called 'Dreams and Dust' and 'After the Feast'). So, for the second time in the series, those wanting the UK paperback are forced to pay twice for one book, whilst GRRM and his publisher sit back and rake in the cash, and he continues to take his own sweet time over finishing the series. I'm ready to give up with this, to be honest - as good as the series is, he really doesn't deserve all the attention he's getting

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with ADWD. Five pages of excitement. A thousand pages of nothing much happening. Ho hum.

Agree

Review

I see A Dance with Dragons is getting released in paperback next month - in two parts (called 'Dreams and Dust' and 'After the Feast'). So, for the second time in the series, those wanting the UK paperback are forced to pay twice for one book, whilst GRRM and his publisher sit back and rake in the cash, and he continues to take his own sweet time over finishing the series. I'm ready to give up with this, to be honest - as good as the series is, he really doesn't deserve all the attention he's getting

Super agree

Agreed.

Remember when I went to see him?

Well, it was in Poland. When I told him I was from Norway he got all excited about someone traveling from one country to another just to see him. However, when my friend explained that we'd actually just come from another Polish city, his excitement VISIBLY died.

Like nine hours on a train isn't enough for you, George? His disappointment was pretty tangible.

And my book store friend I made there remarked that if he doesn't hurry, he'll not be able to finish them at all, considering how ancient he's getting. Reminds me of another fantasy author famous for drawing things out... :(

• 2 weeks later...

A colleague just passed this on to me:

Subject: Important Information regarding Your Amazon.co.uk Order

Hello,

We're writing about your recent purchase of A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance

With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast, ASIN: 0007466072.

“A Dance With Dragons: Book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire” was first published in

hardcover in July 2011. However, when it came to releasing the paperback

edition, the publisher decided to split this title into two volumes. The first

volume is “A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and

Dust" and the second volume is “A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance With Dragons:

Part 2 After the Feast". The combined content of these two paperbacks is the

same as that which was published in the single volume hardcover.

We are aware that the paperback editions were incorrectly communicated as new

works. We understand that this may have been misleading and caused confusion. We

would like to apologise for this, and for any disappointment caused.

If you would like to return your purchase for a refund for you can do so by

refusing delivery of the item or returning the book via the online return centre

at the link below:

http://www.amazon.co...s/homepage.html

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department

Amazon.co.uk

So not only is it an overlong, tedious novel that they split into two parts so they could charge twice for it, but some people have obviously taken the new 'titles' to mean that it's a brand new book :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Further to this, the two volume version was released on 15th March. Then, on 29th March, a UK version was released in one volume, for £8.99. Apparently the publishers have instructed Amazon, Waterstones etc NOT to stock the one volume version, so they can sucker people into paying for two paperbacks instead. What a con! :banghead:

If anyone wants the one volume version it is here: http://www.amazon.co...e&condition=all

Edit: I notice that The Book Depository has more than doubled the price since I ordered it, which pretty much negates the price advantage, although having it in one volume is still better, imo. How unbelievably stupid this all is. Mine arrived this morning, and it is definitely the whole book in one volume, and it is at the older, smaller size, which matches the previous books in the series that I already own.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A have finished reading all the books in the series. The storyline was pretty good but I find myself agreeing with others on this topic, the writing was strung out wayyyyy to much. Very seldom do I skim when reading but after book two I did a lot of skimming. Sometimes I would almost skip an entire chapter.

I was also very disappointed with the ending of the last book.

• 2 years later...

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with ADWD. Five pages of excitement. A thousand pages of nothing much happening. Ho hum.

Review

Pretty much my opinion too, I dragged myself through both parts earlier this year, and I think the wheels are beginning to come off a bit with this series.  Up until now I've (mostly) enjoyed the books (3rd book is my favourite) although if I did re-read them I'd skip bits (mostly the Dany chapters) but this one was like wading through treacle.