Emelee's Reading List

Just finished reading Franz Kafka's "The Trial" and I am thinking of what to start next. Will it be "The Great Gatsby" or will I start reading from the loooong list of literature we are to read for University starting September?

I am leaning towards option 2 since the list is long. I think I will start on Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

Hey Emelee, nice to have a new reading blogger :smile2: Can I ask you, which books do you have on your required reading for uni -list? I'm sure others are curious as well.

I liked The Great Gatsby, and it's a relatively short and quick read, so you couldn't go wrong with reading it now :wink::giggle2:

Here's what we are to read for the month of September:

Sofocles: King Oedipus & Antigone

Aristophanes: Lysistrata

Lucretius: On the nature of the universe

Marcus Aurelius: Meditation

Aristole: Parts from his work

Plato: Parts from Symposium & Statesman

Homer: Parts of Odyssey

The Bible: Selected parts of it

Bédier: Parts of Tristan & Isolde

Dante: Parts from Divine Comedy

Cervantes: Parts from Don Quijote

Shakespeare: Hamlet & The Tempest

Racine: Phèdre

Molière: Tartuffe or the hypocrite

Rabelais: Gargantua and Pantagruel

+ A couple of handbooks concerning History of Literature (Swedish books)

Is that your reading just for September, or just your reading list for your course which starts in September?

It is JUST for the 4 weeks of September.

Needless to say our teacher is mad......

All we can do is start asap and read every other line, then we have a chance of reading it all.

But honestly, I never read all of what we are supposed to in all courses. I don't think any of us does. Some you just read a recap of online to get the basic facts. I hardly think anyone is willing to read all.

I've got these in my reading list for uni... I hope at least SOME of them are enjoyable... I've not heard of most of them!

Oroonoko

Wuthering Heights

The Sign of Four

Dancing at Lughnasa

Metropolis (Master of Cinema) DVD

Dubliners

The Emigrants

The Lonely Londoners

Othello

Candide, or Optimism

The Duchess of Malfi

EEKS!

The Lonely Londoners is by Sam Selvon. It's an excellent book about the experience of Caribbean immigrants in London in the 1950s. And you'll be pleased to hear it's a very short book, too! I'd be very surprised if you don't enjoy reading it.

thanks! I haven't done any research into them yet, so I don't know most of them are about - but as long as some of them are half decent I'll be reet as rain!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got these in my reading list for uni... I hope at least SOME of them are enjoyable... I've not heard of most of them!

Oroonoko

Wuthering Heights

The Sign of Four

Dancing at Lughnasa

Metropolis (Master of Cinema) DVD

Dubliners

The Emigrants

The Lonely Londoners

Othello

Candide, or Optimism

The Duchess of Malfi

EEKS!

I have read Wuthering Height (HATED IT) and Candide (liked it) from that list.

The Emigrants - is it by Moberg or Sebald or another author? If it's Moberg, it should be good. One of the classics in Swedish literature.

Shakespeare is pretty good, if you can read it. ;)

Good luck!

My progress so far;

Bédier: Parts of Tristan & Isolde

I feel pretty good about myself. I am on a roll!

I especially loved Plato's Symposium. That one was quite interesting I must say. Different opinions stated about Eros, the God of beauty, youth and love. It is somehow hard to believe it was written such a long time ago.

Also liked Sofocles' tragedies about the town of Thabe, and of course Shakespeare always have great stories. Thank god I found some newer translations that were easy to read. Made such a difference. I could read faster without stops to wonder what the heck I just read. I get a little distracted though by all choirs interrupting the plays though it is beautifully written.

So far, no real dislikes. :)

Edited by emelee

• 2 weeks later...

Doing great progress! :) It was a relief to see that some of these were not very long. I am so glad I started reading before the course started. I can actually manage to read ALL of it.

Bédier: Tristan & Isolde

Today I am reading chapters from the Bible and Lysistrata before I begin on Tristan & Isolde later this week.

I am surprised I actually enjoyed Homer's Odyssey! I would never read the whole thing as it's too much. But the parts we were to read were good. It was both from the Iliad & Odyssey. The beginning of the Iliad with the wrath, and then a few songs from Odyssey. Among other the defeating of the cyclops.

So far, all reads have been enjoyable much to my surprise! Happily so.

Currently reading Tristan and Isolde. The story of brave Tristan bringing the daughter of Irelands king to marry his uncle, but due to a love potion falls madly in love with her himself. A story that you find out from the beginning is not going to end well. And that is a good thing. Now I want to know HOW bad it will end.

• 3 weeks later...

Would you read Tristan & Isolde if you didn't HAVE to?

I would not have chosen to read it if I hadn't been forced to. But now I am glad I have read everything on the list. Many of them quite good. I did like Tristan & Isolde, though I would have shortened it down on some places where things just happen for the 37th time. IE Tristan & Isolde saying goodbye to each other for one last time.

Yours and Samsiren's reading lists are so different to Hayley's uni list ....are you a second year Emelee?

I read my second semester/term Swedish, currently.

Almost done reading everything on the list. So proud of myself. Didn't cheat, read everything I was supposed to. :)

Next up: an online quiz to check if we students have really read everything, and an analysis assignment.

After that, a new reading list:

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Voltaire - Candide

Steig Larsson - The girl who kicked the hornet's nest

• 2 months later...

Read Stieg Larsson's The girl who kicked the hornet's nest. Not sure that I liked it so much. The first was the best.

After that I read:

Matilda by Roald Dahl. LOVED it. Want to read more of Roald Dahl now.

Theodor Kallifatides' Ett nytt land utanför mitt fönster (Translate: A new country outside my window), a kind of autobiography about emigrating from Greece to Sweden and living as a stranger in both countries.

Sara Kadefors' Sandor/Ida. A book for teens about 2 teenagers with difficulties in their lives who start e-mailing each other after having met on an online chat. He is a virgin and a professional dancer who does not fit in. She is a party girl who is fed up with her lifestyle & friends.

Per Nilsson's Hjärtats fröjd (Translate: Heart's joy). Also a book for teens. IMO, better than Sandor/Ida because of HOW it is written. About a teenage boy who has no idea that the big love of his life is not as committed to him as he is to her. We follow his journey from meeting her to what he does when he finds out it was mostly in his head.

• 1 year later...