Can you truly enjoy a book you've been forced to read?

emelee

I rarely enjoyed novels I was forced to read at school. We were made to read books that we just couldn't appreciate- too long, too difficult, on things we just didn't understand. Dante, Goethe, Kafka, Horace,Conrad, Camus, Shakespeare, Diderot, Dostoyevski. I mean when you are 16 you don't necessarily enjoy reading the most amazing writers ever. You have to grow up to appreciate them. The ones I really enjoyed at school were Bulhakov, Vonnegut and Beckett. With the rest it took some time. Right now kids have the choice. They read classics but also Harry Potter and other popular stuff.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you count reading books for uni lit classes as books one is forced to read, then yes, I've enjoyed books I've been forced to read. For example, I loved A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Northanger Abbey, Ragtime, The Natural, etc.

• 1 year later...

Well......

At 17/18 I ATTEMPTED (with not so good results) to do my Alevel English literature, and as a class we had to read "The Dubliners" by James Joyce, initially I thought "Oh I aren't going to enjoy it" but in actual fact, if I'd not had to study it, I wouldn't have read it, and I found I really liked it. I'm not saying I'm going to go and buy his whole collection because that'd be a lie, but I did find that I really enjoyed it. I loved all the short stories. Just a shame I failed ;)

I liked it too.A bit too much focused on pubs though.

I found that when I was at school I ended up enjoying lots of books that were on the reading list. The same was true at University. I really loved Lord of the Flies, Dracula and lots of the Shakespeare. There were some I didn't enjoy but I think that because I'd been made to read them I ended up with an experience I wouldn't have otherwise got. I also found that when I was a member of a book club and had to read other people's choices it really expanded the sort of books I was reading. What I do think is hard is when you are stuck reading a book you hate and can't stop because it is for school or University!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I rarely enjoyed novels I was forced to read at school. We were made to read books that we just couldn't appreciate- too long, too difficult, on things we just didn't understand. Dante, Goethe, Kafka, Horace,Conrad, Camus, Shakespeare, Diderot, Dostoyevski. I mean when you are 16 you don't necessarily enjoy reading the most amazing writers ever. You have to grow up to appreciate them. The ones I really enjoyed at school were Bulhakov, Vonnegut and Beckett. With the rest it took some time. Right now kids have the choice. They read classics but also Harry Potter and other popular stuff.

I endured this just last year... My teacher told us that we would all really like a book and no one did. Even the big readers in the class didn't really understand why we were reading it. I would say that I have enjoyed 1 of the books that I have had to read for school but it was a genre that I like and I could understand it. May times they pick books that we don't understand at our age (I am a Sophomore in high school)