Getting so caught up in fantasy that the real world seems boring

imma89

I haven't come very far reading from the fantasy gerne, but for some reason I really like cartoons and some fantasy movies. I used to read alot of manga when I was younger too and watched some anime and I enjoy alot of Studio Ghibli movies to this day. And by cartoons I don't mean Family Guy or The Simpsons. More like charming and adventurous shows that don't deal with issues of the real world.

Some examples are like My Neighbour Totoro (Totoro is the one in my avatar), Howl's Moving Castle, Futurama and my newest addiction is Foster's House of Imaginary Friends. I also LOVED the movie Avatar, not for it's storyline but for the magnificent world that was created (and in 3D to make it even more real!).

When I first saw Totoro I fell so much in love with him I wanted one of my own. I wish that the world in Howl's Moving Castle existed and we could visit the fictional univers of Avatar (Pandora). And now I want my very own imaginary friend!

Is there somebody out there who is familiar to these kind of feelings? I feel like such a weirdo!

P.S I've now started a group of people who want to play D&D and I'm hoping that when we begin to play, the creativity in the game will fulfill some of my longings for a real life fantasy! :P

P.S2 I can't seem to figure out how the search on this page works, at leas I can't find anything I search for, so I have no idea if a simular topic has been made before. If so, I'm sorry :)

Weird about what, Imma?

I think every reader builds kind of his own world. Most with stories that happen in the real world, others with fantasy, Sci-Fi, whatever. Sometimes, after a book I feel at home in, I need some time to come back to reality.

So, I think (or hope?), there is nothing weird about that.

IMO, that's what books are for. Keep you dreaming.

Weird about what, Imma?

I think every reader builds kind of his own world. Most with stories that happen in the real world, others with fantasy, Sci-Fi, whatever. Sometimes, after a book I feel at home in, I need some time to come back to reality.

So, I think (or hope?), there is nothing weird about that.

IMO, that's what books are for. Keep you dreaming.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just thougt it would be weird to get so invested in things that aren't for real. I just feel like a big kid :P

I once saw a film about a guy who researched atoms which are so small, that even a microscope couldn't make them visible and which float through everything.

How must the real world feel to him? too big to catch up with?

Compared to that, fantasy seem very real, doesn't it?

My wife and I now live like a fantasy and becausw-e we become Christian. We just come from refugee camps where many people are suffering from war with burma army. We have to cross very fast hard river with food and medicine but we get there okay and people very happy. Very poor but when we leave little kids cry cry cry because wife going and they love her like mother but have no mother themself. Then we drive down big very high mountain road and too much med and after we past mountain rockslides and many people on same road killed. Now many villages and camps destroyed so we get clothes and food and go back.

And 1 man have cancer doctor says he will die for sure as cancer everywhere his body and we pray for him to God and he is 100 percent okay and back to work. And man who has arm paralyzed for 20 years we paray for him and 3 days after he can move arm. Now many people in this vilager all buddha want tobe Christian even monks daughter. Wife lose daughter 12 years ago and pray and next day she get daughter back and very happy.

I read whole Bible and it was story better thanany one I read before and now life better than fantasy story.

haha - love it. Or weirdo is as weirdo does.

Aren't we all wierd? In our own way? but does that make us normal!?

Whenever I read a book I get SO caught up in it, it's like it's real life. When I finish reading I get a little bit depressed, like I'll never see my friends again. The real world isn't as fun. Well, I suppose it is for some people, but I'm a boring person so I suffer! haha!

Ps. What's your favorite Ghibli movie? I loved howls moving castle and really want to read the book! :D

Ps. What's your favorite Ghibli movie? I loved howls moving castle and really want to read the book! :D

Wow, I didn't even know there was a book! ^^ Would love to read that!

But my ultimate favorites are Totoro and Howl's, but Princesse Mononke and Spireted Away come next. I find them so beautiful but I usually don't watch them as often as the others because they are longer and the storyline is deeper. I tend to fall asleep when I watch them, even though I love them :P

Wow, I didn't even know there was a book! ^^ Would love to read that!

But my ultimate favorites are Totoro and Howl's, but Princesse Mononke and Spireted Away come next. I find them so beautiful but I usually don't watch them as often as the others because they are longer and the storyline is deeper. I tend to fall asleep when I watch them, even though I love them :P

Yeah, the book was written by a Scottish Author. It's one of those ones that's been on my Wishlist for so long, I don't know what's stopping me from buying it! You should look into getting it! :)

I love spirited away and Kiki's delivery service! I still haven't seen Ponyo though! I need to buy it and add it to my collection!

I love spirited away and Kiki's delivery service! I still haven't seen Ponyo though! I need to buy it and add it to my collection!

Kiki's delivery service is on my wishlist, I haven't seen it yet. I asked my brother for it for last christmas but I think it was out because he bought me The Castle of Cagliostro which I haven't watched completely yet (not really my stile but maybe I'll give it another chance)... It has become a tradition that he buys me some anime for christmas :P I haven't watched Ponyo either but I think I'll love it :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

When I finish a really compelling novel I tend to fall into what I like to call a "book hangover". It takes me a few days to shake off the world I'd submerged myself in while reading and afterwards I feel a deep sense of loneliness like I've just lost my best friend (which I suppose the novel was as I spent more time with it than I did with any living being!)

I can totally understand wanting to have realty be like one of the novels you read or movies you watch, in fact I find myself thinking it all the time, especially when real life slaps you in the face and a good book is like a cold compress.

Anime and manga are my secret pleasure and perfect for killing reality and there is nothing abnormal about investing yourself in fiction. Hey, isn't that what authors do all the time? An imagination is a rare quality and one that I think is undervalued, so don't let reality kill your sense of wonder! I know I haven't LOL :)

(By the way Howl's Moving Castle by Diane Wynne Jones is fantastic. It's one of my favourite books and if you liked the anime you will definitely like the novel. Hope that helps.)

• 3 months later...