Young authors vs. older

imma89

I had some interesting conversations with my brother a while ago. He writes, but when I asked him why he wouln't publish anything he said because older authors (as in age) somehow just make better books and write deeper, more interesting characters than young authors. He compared that with the phrase "you get it when you get older". When it's said to you you think it doesen't make any sence, but when you get older, you just get it.

I thought about it and a few months ago I read a book like that. It was by a new upcoming author but I always felt like the descriptions of the characthers were too superficial, like the author just couldn't reach below the surface.

Anyway, I just thought you might have some thoughts on this? :)

It is certainly true that a writers style does develop and mature with age and as they gather life experiences, but having said this it all depends on their background. Some young people are incredibly mature for their age, while some older people can be very immature and very insular. It depends on so many different factors. I have worked with some younger people who were far more clued in than many of the older people I have known. The other thing to consider is that younger people (and this is also true the older you get) have less pretensions and can be brutally honest. I don't then believe that you can generalise. For me personally, the age of the author is irrelevant, all that matters is whether they tell a good story, have done their research and whether I like their writing style. Like most other things it all subjective anyway.

I haven't thought about it that way round.

A few times I have read books and liked them then seen pictures of the author and thought now I know roughly how old they are the book suddenly seems childish as I had assumed it was a younger writer.

You have a point there.

It is certainly true that a writers style does develop and mature with age and as they gather life experiences, but having said this it all depends on their background. Some young people are incredibly mature for their age, while some older people can be very immature and very insular. It depends on so many different factors. I have worked with some younger people who were far more clued in than many of the older people I have known. The other thing to consider is that younger people (and this is also true the older you get) have less pretensions and can be brutally honest. I don't then believe that you can generalise. For me personally, the age of the author is irrelevant, all that matters is whether they tell a good story, have done their research and whether I like their writing style. Like most other things it all subjective anyway.

Yes, I totally agree with you. The world is not just black or white and of course you can't sort authors into two categories by age. I think it's an interesting view though.

I agree with much of the above. However one of the best books on love I have ever read is The Devil in the Flesh by Raymond Radiguet. It was written by the time the author was 18 and he was dead at 20. I seem to remember also that Victor Hugo wrote Les Miserables late in life. Not sure what point I'm trying to make, apart from use your judgement.

I have to be honest, and say, for the most part, I have no idea how old an author is (or was when they wrote the book) when I'm reading. I think if you read an authors entire works you can see changes in their writing over time, but I think that can be to do with their own approach to their work. Some authors seem to try to develop their style and work to improve their own perception of their writing, while I think others try to be more experimental and move to make each book unique.

Imma, you don't say how old your brother is. It probably wouldn't make a difference anyway, as others have said. If he has a good story and it's well written, his age shouldn't come into it. I guess it also depends on the audience he's writing for. Is is an adult book, or something for teenagers? It would be a shame if he failed to put pen to paper because he felt this way.

Ian

I've never really thought about the age of an author when I'm reading a book. To me, if a story has depth, warmth and meaning and is entertaining to read, the writer could be 18 or 80 and I'd enjoy it all the same. Unless the book is written in a particularly immature style, I would say there shouldn't be much to give away an author's age, really. It's about the words and the author's own personality coming through in the story.

Although from my own point of view, it intrigues me with children's writers, whether there's ever a difference between young writers of children's books and older writers. I've yet to notice it, but I always say writing for children means you kind of have to have a younger mindset anyway, whatever your actual age! ;)

Imma, you don't say how old your brother is. It probably wouldn't make a difference anyway, as others have said. If he has a good story and it's well written, his age shouldn't come into it. I guess it also depends on the audience he's writing for. Is is an adult book, or something for teenagers? It would be a shame if he failed to put pen to paper because he felt this way.

Ian

He's almost 30, I think 29 this November. But you're right, if he has a good story I think it's a shame if he doesn't publish it because of some age-complex. When I think about it I could believe this is just one of his excuse for not doing something that he should.

My post just got a level deeper! I didn't think this would be the result. Maybe I'll talk to him when I get home.

I don't know if I agree. I never judge a book by it's author really. If it's written well and you enjoy it it doesn't matter if it was a young author or an older author. I don't nessesarily believe just because someone is older they have more to contribute to a book, or have a better writing style, in fact - quite the opposite. I know some old authors who get stuck in ruts and their writing seems stale because they don't challenge themselves and their characters are predictable.

Sometimes it's nice to see a young author writing something fresh - change the rules a bit and just give it a go. I would hate to think someone wouldn't want to try to publish work because they felt like they weren't old enough to give their best. You should give your best with everything you write... does that make sense?

I can picture writers changing as they grow older. As they mature and come into their own more and more. Becoming more self-confidant. Writing more about problems that come with age, as they get more experience in the matter.

Then there are younger writers who understand more about what it is to be young in today's society.

So I can't ever say one is better than the other. It's all good. I do not prefer older nor younger. Man or woman.

But there HAS to be differences, as we humans ARE different. And unlike some people who says we are all the same and equal in everything, I think we are all different. It comes with experience and yes, even DNA. And that is just perfectly okay and natural. The more differences, the more interesting! :)

You should give your best with everything you write... does that make sense?

That makes alot of sence! Thank you for your reply :)

I can picture writers changing as they grow older. As they mature and come into their own more and more. Becoming more self-confidant. Writing more about problems that come with age, as they get more experience in the matter.

Then there are younger writers who understand more about what it is to be young in today's society.

So I can't ever say one is better than the other. It's all good. I do not prefer older nor younger. Man or woman.

But there HAS to be differences, as we humans ARE different. And unlike some people who says we are all the same and equal in everything, I think we are all different. It comes with experience and yes, even DNA. And that is just perfectly okay and natural. The more differences, the more interesting! :)

I think you're quite right, this is all very interesting :) I think we could analize this for ages if we want to!

I don't judge an author's writing by their age, but I often like to look them up and read a little about them, so I usually have some idea of their age.

Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein when she was 18, which I think is a terrific example of what a young author can be capable of.

Oh, and let's not forget the very mature writings of Anne Frank at the tender age of 14. And Sylvia Plath wrote incredible stuff around the age of 18.

Edited by Kylie