Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier

Delilah

I like the way she rarely wrote the same type of story over and over again, yes they are, I suppose, psychological thrillers for the most part, but all the ones I've read so far have been a bit different - ie Gothic, time travel, historical etc.

That's a timely reminder for me, Madeleine. I' m a writer and the prevailing wisdom today is to write a series whereas I prefer to write something completely different each time (there's only been twice so far!). Thank you so much.

I loved her Jamaica Inn. I read it what seems like hundreds of years ago but it is one of the few books that sticks in my mind.

Amber - I've just seen that you're reading 'A Week in December'. I listened to a download of that. Loved it.

Edited by Anna Faversham

• 2 weeks later...

That's a timely reminder for me, Madeleine. I' m a writer and the prevailing wisdom today is to write a series whereas I prefer to write something completely different each time (there's only been twice so far!). Thank you so much.

I loved her Jamaica Inn. I read it what seems like hundreds of years ago but it is one of the few books that sticks in my mind.

Amber - I've just seen that you're reading 'A Week in December'. I listened to a download of that. Loved it.

Hi Anna

Yes 'A Week in December' is growing on me. I have been really busy so not reading as much as I like, and with so many characters it has been a bit difficult to get hold of, but I have succeeded now I think. I am always really impressed with how much research he must have done, a very impressive writer who never really disappoints.

I agree about the number of characters, and their different stories. I think it is the sort of book you could read more than once. I have certainly listened to it more than once. 

I also get too busy to do much reading all in one go and that certainly doesn't help with hanging on to who's who.

• 4 weeks later...

I read 'Jamaica Inn' first when I was about fourteen.I loved it.

I re-read it when I was around thirty and spotted lots of little

details that had escaped me as a teenager,and I still loved it!

I believe (although this may be an urban myth) from something

I read back then, that the writer Alistair McLean owned the place

for several years? Anyone know anything about that?

Edited by timebug

I read back then, that the writer Alistair McLean owned the place

for several years? Anyone know anything about that?

I have just read this on their website but they don't expand any more any it timebug

I believe it was in the 1960s (but my memory may be letting me

down a bit here!) He he gave an interview in one of the heavier

sunday papers,and the interviewer came away with the feeling

that he was not a very nice man!

I read all his thrillers as they came along,at the time,and never

wondered about the personality of the author! If I like a book, I

will read it and let the side issues take second place!

Edited by timebug