Gollancz

I've just downloaded a few samples from Amazon:

Pavane by Keith Roberts

Suldrun's Garden by Jack Vance

City Under the Sea by Kenneth Bulmer

The Black Star Passes by John W. Campbell

All My Sins Remembered by Joe Haldeman

Agent of the Terran Empire by Poul Anderson

Shall have a glance through them and then make my first puchase! :)

Suldrun's Garden :an8: dude I am all excited for you!!! Your first part of the greatest Fantasy trilogy ever :alc:

Suldrun's Garden :an8: dude I am all excited for you!!! Your first part of the greatest Fantasy trilogy ever :alc:

I thought you'd be pleased :lol:

I'm guessing you think I should read that before I read Tales of the Dying Earth?

I see we're both posting on the SF Gateway forums as well :)

I thought you'd be pleased :lol:

I'm guessing you think I should read that before I read Tales of the Dying Earth?

I see we're both posting on the SF Gateway forums as well :)

Well, Tales Of The Dying Earth would be a good quick taster of Vance's writing style. Because Suldrun's Garden does start off quite slow, hardly any magic in the first chapter. I am very pleased you are reading this.

What is your name on the SF gateway forum?

Edited by vodkafan

willowroolz - which is the name I use on practically every other forum I've been on, except this one for some bizarre reason :doh::lol:

Ok Gotcha I saw your post. Well after their late start they seem to be getting it together, lots of books promised, and they reply pretty quickly on the forum so that's good.

I took the plunge and bought All My Sins Remembered. Of course, in the meantime I started reading another book so it'll be a few days before I get to it, as I have this total inability to read more than one at a time :lol:

I took the plunge and bought All My Sins Remembered. Of course, in the meantime I started reading another book so it'll be a few days before I get to it, as I have this total inability to read more than one at a time :lol:

Not a bad thing- people are either one way or the other...let me know how AMSR is.

:( No more SF Gateway books for me until I have read the first 7 I downloaded...4 to go so I am not really complaining I have never had it so good :lol:

:( No more SF Gateway books for me until I have read the first 7 I downloaded...4 to go so I am not really complaining I have never had it so good :lol:

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Which ones did you get?

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Which ones did you get?

Hi Karsa I bought these:

I have bought:

The Primitive EC Tubb

The Jester At Scar EC Tubb

The Cloud Walker Edmund Cooper

The Seedling Stars James Blish

Meeting At Infinity John Brunner

The Margarets Sheri S. Tepper

and I also downloaded The Forever War from somewhere else.

let me know how AMSR is.

It was pretty decent. Not a patch on The Forever War, though. It was more like a set of short stories linked together by a common character, and like TFW it seemed to very much be to do with Haldeman's experiences in the Vietnam War, and how a trained killer deals with what he/she has done.

It was pretty decent. Not a patch on The Forever War, though. It was more like a set of short stories linked together by a common character, and like TFW it seemed to very much be to do with Haldeman's experiences in the Vietnam War, and how a trained killer deals with what he/she has done.

I might give that a go. Got some other authors I want to try first though. Sheri S. Tepper sounds completely freaky and well before her time. Also I never read very much of Micheal Moorcock and Robert Silverberg and I think I should. :readingtwo:

Also I never read very much of Micheal Moorcock and Robert Silverberg and I think I should. :readingtwo:

Ditto.

Going to try and clear some of my backlog before buying any more, though (let's see how long that idea lasts :lol: ). Started The Fall of Hyperion this morning. I've also got Grass by Sheri S tepper sitting on the shelf - it's been there for ages, so I really should read it I suppose :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to get Robert Silverberg's Downward to the Earth for my next SF Gateway purchase. Started it this morning and am quite enjoying it already.

Let me know how that goes I have looked at that title several times. My next purchases will be several newly released Jack Vance oldies.

Let me know how that goes I have looked at that title several times. My next purchases will be several newly released Jack Vance oldies.

It was a good, fast-paced read, I thought. His writing style is very easy to get along with. The final twist was obvious almost from the start, but it didn't really matter :)

It was a good, fast-paced read, I thought. His writing style is very easy to get along with. The final twist was obvious almost from the start, but it didn't really matter :)

OK you sold me on it that was easy :giggle2:

• 1 month later...

Just had a bumper shopping spree on Amazon, as all the SF Gateway books are £2.99 at the moment. So I got:

The Lyonesse trilogy - Suldrun's Garden / The Green Pearl / Madouc by Jack Vance (thanks VF!)

The Book of the New Sun - The Shadow of the Torturer / The Claw of the Conciliator / The Sword of the Lictor / The Citadel of the Autarch by Gene Wolfe

All of which I have been tempted by for quite a while, so now seemed like a good time to take the plunge! :D

• 1 year later...

I hope they'll release Julian May's 'Saga of the Exiles' ...

I thought I remembered posting this :lol:  Anyway, not via SF Gateway, but . . .

Finally, finally, finally, Julian May's novels are back in print and also on Kindle, including all of the 'Saga of the Exiles' and the 'Galactic Milieu Trilogy' :exc:

Must. Buy. :D

I thought I remembered posting this :lol:  Anyway, not via SF Gateway, but . . .

Finally, finally, finally, Julian May's novels are back in print and also on Kindle, including all of the 'Saga of the Exiles' and the 'Galactic Milieu Trilogy' :exc:

Must. Buy. :D

That is pretty cool!

• 2 months later...

When I published my first sci/fi horror title with Gollancz (can't tell you the title I understand) it may have been serendipity but within six months my editor died, the publisher died and the Gollancz was taken over by Cassel (better known for coffee table books). Now, thank goodness, Gollancz has found a home at Orion and remains one of the stalwart publishers of the genre. 

I am reading Joe Abercrombie's 'Heroes' at the moment. He is a fine writer and much recommended. It's a big book. It's only downside is it bears the imprint of sword but not sorcery. I imagine it as being an account of medieval England with character's names taken from Grimm's fairy tales.

When I published my first sci/fi horror title with Gollancz (can't tell you the title I understand) it may have been serendipity but within six months my editor died, the publisher died and the Gollancz was taken over by Cassel (better known for coffee table books). Now, thank goodness, Gollancz has found a home at Orion and remains one of the stalwart publishers of the genre. 

Hey David, yeah Gollancz are pretty much my favourite publishers at the moment, especially their SF Gateway (which was discussed here). :smile:

I am reading Joe Abercrombie's 'Heroes' at the moment. He is a fine writer and much recommended. It's a big book. It's only downside is it bears the imprint of sword but not sorcery.

I don't view that as a downside, personally - although there are hints of sorcery in there that relate to his other books (there is definitely sorcery in his world).  It's an awesome book, regardless.  Joe's got his own thread here, come and join in!  :smile: