Gollancz

Gollancz is to release thousands of SF classics, many out-of-print, in all the main ebook formats, starting in September.

From The Guardian website:

"The SF Gateway launches this autumn with more than 1,000 titles by almost 100 authors, with plans to increase this to 3,000 titles by the end of 2012 and 5,000 by 2014. Wow. "Wherever possible, the SF Gateway will offer the complete backlist of the authors included," says Gollancz in its announcement.

A complete list of the authors already signed up – they're negotiating with many more – [...] it's basically the great and the good of science fiction and fantasy, and they're all going to be available at the click of a button (pricing is yet to be revealed, but will be "in line with prevailing market trend, but competitive and value for money", apparently)."

Links:

SF Gateway website

PDF with list of authors currently included

Guardian article

Fantastic news! :biggrin:

Gollancz is to release thousands of SF classics, many out-of-print, in all the main ebook formats, starting in September.

From The Guardian website:

"The SF Gateway launches this autumn with more than 1,000 titles by almost 100 authors, with plans to increase this to 3,000 titles by the end of 2012 and 5,000 by 2014. Wow. "Wherever possible, the SF Gateway will offer the complete backlist of the authors included," says Gollancz in its announcement.

A complete list of the authors already signed up – they're negotiating with many more – [...] it's basically the great and the good of science fiction and fantasy, and they're all going to be available at the click of a button (pricing is yet to be revealed, but will be "in line with prevailing market trend, but competitive and value for money", apparently)."

Links:

SF Gateway website

PDF with list of authors currently included

Guardian article

Fantastic news! :D

This is great news indeed! :D :mrgreen: :D

• 3 weeks later...

You'll be pleased with me - I'm just reading my first ever Jack Vance book, Emphyrio :)

I'm also very pleased with you; this is the one Jack Vance book I have on my TBR pile, and now you can let me know what you think of it. :)

I'm also very pleased with you; this is the one Jack Vance book I have on my TBR pile, and now you can let me know what you think of it. :)

I thought it was very good, Kylie. It's a very quick read, doesn't hang around. I thought, at the start, that I wasn't going to like it, but I ended up really enjoying it :)

• 4 weeks later...

A quick search on Amazon has revealed a lot of SF Gateway ebooks already listed for pre-order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=gollancz+sf&sprefix=goll

:)

I was a bit disappointed because many of the better known ones I was hoping for are not there (on the Amazon pages) but the Gollancz site mentioned there would be 1000 titles initially, so maybe they are keeping the best ones back till release day? I am sure I will find something anyway, I am still excited. The pricing is reasonable I think at a fiver a go, you can't moan at that for books that have been out of print for so long.

A lot of it's going to be down to how Amazon title/categorise things - they're so inconsistent :rolleyes:

I'm assuming titles are going to be available directly from the SF Gateway site, so that might be the better way to go.

A lot of it's going to be down to how Amazon title/categorise things - they're so inconsistent :rolleyes:

I'm assuming titles are going to be available directly from the SF Gateway site, so that might be the better way to go.

Yes that's what I'm waiting for too...Amazon is definitely not putting it all out...for instance I remembered a book I wanted (The Cloud Walker by Edmund Cooper ) and I put it in search and it came up, yellow cover and all. :huh:

Edited by vodkafan

Well the countdown has finished but the site still seems inactive to me :rolleyes:

Apparently - according to the SF Gateway Twitter page - Amazon.co.uk has all the release-day books available but, without a list and with Amazon's usual inability to categorise books in a way where one search finds all (labelling them as 'SF Gateway' would've been a start ... ), it's difficult to know what's actually out there :rolleyes:

Well the countdown has finished but the site still seems inactive to me :rolleyes:

Apparently - according to the SF Gateway Twitter page - Amazon.co.uk has all the release-day books available but, without a list and with Amazon's usual inability to categorise books in a way where one search finds all (labelling them as 'SF Gateway' would've been a start ... ), it's difficult to know what's actually out there :rolleyes:

I have had the same frustration Karsa...for instance I never got my promised email saying Gateway was live. I have seen 471 books listed on Amazon if you go on " Gollancz Science Fiction"...but a lot of them are new written Sci Fi and vampire chick lit, with the same 60 classics as before spread amongst them.

If you put in specific individual authors you can get a few more dozen more up with yellow covers...try googling a list of sci fi authors and note down who you are interested in first. I agree not very satisfactory mate. :irked:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just downloaded a few samples from Amazon:

Pavane by Keith Roberts

Suldrun's Garden by Jack Vance

City Under the Sea by Kenneth Bulmer

The Black Star Passes by John W. Campbell

All My Sins Remembered by Joe Haldeman

Agent of the Terran Empire by Poul Anderson

Shall have a glance through them and then make my first puchase! :)