Page discolouration

aviv chadash

Hello,

I'm sure this has probably come up before, but I couldn't find a previous thread.

I have noticed that the part of the pages 'exposed' on some of my books have become discoloured - this would be the top of the books, since the other sides, the side and bottom, are against the bookcase, if that makes sense - and that this discolouration has leeched into the page slightly; also, the discolouration is more pronounced at the front where the page meets the spine, working its way towards the back (since the spines of the book are at the front of the bookcase) if that makes sense. I was wondering if anyone knows what can be done to prevent this discolouration, as it infuriates me no-end. Would covering the bookcases stop this? I think it is due to the exposure of these parts of the pages, because, as I say, the parts not exposed have no discolouration, and the discolouration is most pronounced at the front, that closest to the 'outside', beyond the bookcase! (Sounds very dramatic, I know).

My bookcases are in a 'slightly converted loft, which I suppose is more readily subjected to the inclemencies of (the?) weather.

Any advice appreciated,

Aviv.

I think covering them would definitely prevent this from happening. You can get archiving bags and sheets specifically to keep paper documents etc 'safe', but in a domestic environment I would think that a thick or lined curtain would be more than adequate.

My husband has some very old books and documents, and instead of displaying the on book shelves, he keeps them safe and flat in a chest of drawers. This appears to work. :)

Sunlight, or any light, definitely does this. So as you say the exposed sides discolour sooner. As well as covering them if you could arrange it so that all the books on one shelf were the same height then it might also be possible to rearrange the shelves so that the shelf above is almost touching the tops of the books on the one below, thus almost covering them.

Just need to keep the books in somewhere more environmentally stable is all, so out of direct sunlight (light bleaching and heat) and somewhere with low humidity (action of dissolved chemicals present in water vapour). So as previous posters have suggested move the books to a room or onto shelves out of these kinds of condition, or just whack up some curtains or blinds (or just keep them shut during what ever part of the day that sunlight is streaming straight into the room).

I worked for Barnes and Noble here part of my training went over how to care for the books. Sunlight and air are the worst enemies, so if you're adament on keeping them perfect, a bag with the air sucked out would be best. Regardless of how you try, the books will still wear a bit.

Also, they've started printing books here in the last few years on new paper that's a bit thinner and doesn't get stale as much or as quickly. You see it a lot in the paperbacks. Hopefully they'll keep evolving the idea until they can find a paper for all printed books that helps slow the process if not eliminate it. The extremely porous hardcover books are the worst.

Though it probably sounds strange, I love the smell of stale books... Something about them just... :)

Not at all.

(You have to paint the edge of every page indiviually though, otherwise the pages stick together).

Be gone! Be gone, foul demon!!! :lol:

Not at all.

(You have to paint the edge of every page indiviually though, otherwise the pages stick together).

I might try this,my copy of The Stand complete and uncut edition is showing signs of discoloration.I will start this process tonight and let you all know how it works out,sometime around 2019 :banghead:

I might try this,my copy of The Stand complete and uncut edition is showing signs of discoloration.I will start this process tonight and let you all know how it works out,sometime around 2019 :banghead:

Yeah, have a try on your most valuable books at first. :lol:

HELP!!!

How do I add those quotes here?

Edited by Kell
fixed quote coding

It needs to say [ quote ] quoted text here [ /quote ] (without the gaps) - you put your text in the wrong place, and it broke up the tags.

Or click the reply button under the post you want to quote

I'm not into book preservation to the point where I will put my books in bags, but I do make sure I have the blinds closed during the sunniest part of the day. I also have my shelves placed very closely together, so the tops of the books are often practically resting against the shelf above (although I've done that so I can cram more books into my bookcases, not to preserve the books).

One more tip: ignore everything Raven tells you. He's a trouble-maker. :P I have no idea what Tippex is, but I could tell he was joking even before I read the responses. Tut tut, Raven!

I'm not into book preservation to the point where I will put my books in bags, but I do make sure I have the blinds closed during the sunniest part of the day. I also have my shelves placed very closely together, so the tops of the books are often practically resting against the shelf above (although I've done that so I can cram more books into my bookcases, not to preserve the books).

One more tip: ignore everything Raven tells you. He's a trouble-maker. :P I have no idea what Tippex is, but I could tell he was joking even before I read the responses. Tut tut, Raven!

Tippex is known elsewhere as Liquid Paper or Correction Fluid.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully nobody here is crazy enough to spend the money (and if you are, I apologize in advance), but there are companies who can bleach the pages of books (and magazines, comics, or whatever you like) for you, tighten bound spines, fix tears, replace missing pieces... A 50s Charlton comic in rough condition was used as an example a couple of years ago, with before and after photos taken, and you would have sworn they were completely different copies. It isn't a cheap or quick process though.