Who has read Faust by Goethe?

Delilah

Just finished reading it! Absolutely wonderful although it is a tragedy but had such witty dialogue. I almost felt like reading the whole thing out loud! It is so poetic! Maybe I will try Dante's Inferno next!

I've just moved this thread into the regular Classics forum, as the Classics Club is more for reading challenges and stuff :)

I haven't actually ever read Faust myself, but I know I should because I love the story (and any modern takes on it).

I loved reading this. But I don't see how Goethe gets Faust and the devil mixed up. Faust and Mephistopholes are two very distinct characters in the story.

What I think this means is that Faust is really more evil than Mephistopheles in the story, and Faust is only about himself like satan but mephistopheles is sort of a funny guy.

Actually you're right Mephistoleles is pretty funny! There are some funny parts in there even thought its supposed to be a tragedy.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have read the first part of the Faust! Its really amazing. Goethe is really aware of peoples' nature! I was threaled by the way he expressed so many trues about life and human weakness!! just amazing nothing more nothing less..

Is it difficult to read? 

In my opinion yes it is! Because Goethe ''hides'' a lot of meanings that are difficult to understand unless you are an expert in this field! For example some names and what they say are real historical persons and what they say might confuse you! Same happens with other '' characters'' he uses! If you dont know their true meaning or why he uses them you wont understand much! And finally his writting is so thrifty and compact (I dont know if I can use here those words I hope you understand what I am saying) that you want ''catch'' every meaning!! BUT! I am sure there are lots of books on every languge that have the original text and the interpratation below! If you choose a book like that you will deaply understand Faust and you ll also enjoy it more! Try searching for titles like : ''Goethe's Faust'' These books have the commentaries on every part you cant really understand! If you are thinking that it might be boring; well it wont :D trust me! You will be threalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry for the bad English in advance :) )

Edited by Poet