I want a good holiday read

If I'm going away somewhere, I always like to try and take a book with me that is set in the place I'm visiting. For example, when I was visiting friends in Swindon, I took the first Thursday Next book by Jasper Fforde.

Where are you going for your holiday? Perhaps we can make some suggestions set in that place that you might enjoy?

If I'm going away somewhere, I always like to try and take a book with me that is set in the place I'm visiting. For example, when I was visiting friends in Swindon, I took the first Thursday Next book by Jasper Fforde.

Where are you going for your holiday? Perhaps we can make some suggestions set in that place that you might enjoy?

Well that's a different approach for picking a book! I'm off to the Greek island of Santorini - might google 'books set in Greece' & see what I get! Thanks :)

I read P.J Tracy's 'Dead Run' on holiday once and I thought that was a good page-turner. Its got that horror element in it as well if you like Stephen King :)

I have sent a sample of that to my Kindle. Thanks for your suggestion :)

How about Tess Gerritsens 'The Surgeon', a bit grissly at times but definitely a page turner and maybe a bit different to what you usually read...

Not sure that is a book for me - even the blurb was a bit too gruesome! thanks for your suggestion though :)

Jeffrey Deaver is an author I would definitely recommend. He is the King of the plot twist. His Lincon Rhyme series is excellent, and he has written a number of fabulous stand alone novels. Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series is great, a magical story that will really pull you in.

A great site to find similar authors is Literature Map. Once you are investigating your books, another useful site is Fantastic Fiction.

Have a fabulous holiday! :)

Most of Dean Koontz's book are good page-turners. I can recommend "Odd Thomas" as a good starter if you've not read any of his stuff

Ian

I think searching for books set in greece will be opening a can of worms, there are so many lol. Last time I went on holiday I took all the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) books with me, and with the fourth book being released in November might be worth a look.

Don't know if it fits what you had in mind, but David Nicholls' books are funny, light reads, and page turners as far as I'm concerned.

Also I was pleasantly surprised with The Truth behind Melody Browne, which I read last year. Seemed like a great summer read.

Sisterhood Everlasting (not YA).

It's not YA? Might be worth a look; I liked the Sisterhood books when I read them back in high school (not that long ago though), so I guess it'd be nice to see what happens later.

How about the Hunger Games trilogy, I don't know anyone who hasn't liked them :readingtwo:

I'm seconding this... I read the first one on vacation and it was such a fast, entertaining read. I only wish I'd had the 2nd one on hand since it drove me crazy not being able to continue the story. :)