The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Sugar

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, with all those mixed reviews I might have to move it up my TBR pile and give it a go next!!

Anna

Yeah I've started to think that too Anna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished this today. At first I found it a bit difficult to get into - especially

the fact that death is the narrator

but after the first couple of chapters I found myself enjoying it.

(An aside) Again as whenever I read something about the Halocaust, I wonder how a (small) insignificant looking man like Hitler, could affect the whole world like he did - the way everyone ended up singing to his tune - and for such a long period of time.

I just finished this on Friday night and on teh whole I eally enjoyed it. I found that it was quite slow, in a good way- I didn't find myself racing through it and therefore missing bits.

The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the frequency of occasions when objects were doing the actions. (There's a term for that but I can't think of it.) I've not got the book with me but from memory the first time I noticed was page 49 (I think) when 'a dressing gown stood' meaning (As I took it) in Liesl's eyes her foster mother's most noticable point was that she wore a large dressing gown, which overtook this first impression of her.

The first time I noticed this I found it quite endearing and child-like, but I started to notice it every few pages, even when it was seen from Death's, rather than Liesl's, point of view, and in the end I just found it quite unnecessary, like it was a deliberate attempt by the author to write in this way. Which is fine, it was just a bit much, I thought.

Also, what does 'the cupboards were the shape of guilt' mean???

Anna

this is definitely one of the best books i've read for a while. I am always moved by stories of the holocaust, but I found this narrative to be really in touch with reality, as if seen through a child's eyes... the fact that the narrator was Death - I found that completely original

• 2 months later...

1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

Anyone read it? Any opinions?

I personally LOVED this book, a real page-turner which i couldn't put down with a really unique story. I cried at the end.

• 2 months later...

TBT was the best book I read in 2008, I could not put it down. I started it again the minute I finished it, which is something I've never done before.

I cried my way through the whole of Part Ten, and I mean uncontrollable sobbing, lol. :roll:

I love Zusak's writing style. I can find no fault with it. I also have to comment on the (adult) cover... I think it's beautiful.

ok thanks my library has it under adult fiction that was why i thought it was for adults.

I thought it was for adults too, given its content. But I guess that depends on how its written. I don't really get 'Young Adult' books, as 'Young Adults' get classed as anywhere from 13-18. I would not want my own kids reading at 13 certain books they might read at 18.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I struggled with it as well :006: but i will try again

:ditto:I thought I was the only one struggling with this book!!!;) I've heard lots of people saying they liked it, but when I started reading it myself I got a little bored and stopped, now that I've read all this comment I'll probably borrow it again