The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Sugar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Sugar :lol:

I was also shocked that I hadnt realised that the people of German had to endure the war as much as British people.

I loved the relationships Liesel formed especially with Rudy, Hans, Max and the narrator.

The Narrators devestation at removing the souls of Leisel's nearest and dearest and the tenderness with which he removed Rudy's soul was heartbreaking.

I was so pleased that Leisel and Max both survived but the nosey parker is desperate to know what happened to Max

A piece of imagery I have reread over and over -

When Michael Holtzapfel was discovered ~

Another human pendulum. Another clock, stopped.

Although slow to start The Book Thief is an amazing book which had me in tears for the last 20 mins - I will be recommending it to anyone who will listen.

Kx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice review Sugar. :lol:

I really didn't care for the book though, first I believe because I had not realized it was a "young adult" book and secondly I have read so much regarding WWII, the European Theatre, that this one seemed so very mild compared to those. But I don't even think the mildness [to me] was the key reason for my not caring for it. I just didn't care for the style of writing. I found it rather bland.

I have liked young adult books in the recent past, but only on subject I was not familiar with to begin. So I would say this was a good introductory piece of fiction for that particular era.

I'm hoping to start this in the next few days. I hadn't realised it was more aimed at young adults so I'll keep that in mind. I really, really hope I'm not disappointed by this book with all the rave reviews I've read. I'll try to lower my expectations a great deal before I start it. :lol:

I finished reading this book last night and have only just stopped blubbing!

When Leisel told her Mama's body that she liked it when she was rude to the neighbours when Leisel first arrived is when I started blubbing. Also, when she kissed Rudy.

What a beautiful book. I loved it and read it very quickly (for me).

Read it you Saumensch!

I've been on my second read of this for months now. It took me a couple of weeks the first time as it was a library book, then I brought my own copy to read again as I thought, "Maybe I just didn't get it the first time round." And it wasn't bad. I just didn't see what all the fuss was about.

And I still don't, to be honest. I'm fighting to get through it.

Tha's exactly what I thought, just couldn't get into it at all, gave up and really didn't want to

prospero, an aussiephiliac.

Stay away from me! <makes sign to ward off evil>

I'm just over halfway through. It's a surprisingly quick read and I'm really enjoying it so far. :roll:

Stay away from me! <makes sign to ward off evil>

I'm just over halfway through.

The men??

What book? Oooh, right. Sorry. This title makes me think that BF could write a book called The Clothes Thief about me, given the number of his clothes that have "mysteriously disappeared" while he'd stayed with me. It's not my fault, really, my closet eats clothes. Keeps it big and happy.

You're not my type.

Fine! :roll:

You're at the point where I'm stuck at the moment, Kylie. I'll probably whizz through the second half when I get going, but I keep looking at it thinking, I just can't be bothered with you.

Maybe it's 'cause the author photo's on the inside front cover. I get distracted before I even hit the story.

Is the second half any better/worse than the first half?

Do you use a bookmark? Because if so, you shouldn't need to get to your place in the book via the inside front cover - you can just open straight to the page (no excuses!)

The men??

You have a dirty mind, ii :)

I finished reading The Book Thief about an hour ago and, of course, bawled my eyes out. :D Terrific read - the kind of gem that reminds me just why I love reading so much. I'll post a proper review later.

I'm gonna agree with those who didn't like it/didn't get into it. I read the whole thing and thought it ill-written and cliched in the extreme. The character of Death had very little to do, and very little connection to the main character: there was nothing that made her any more special to Death than any other child living through the War and the Holocaust. Death's little interjections were darn irritating and smelled of gimmickry.

For such a long book, why the heck did the girl not kiss the boy? She put it off so many times, in really artificial ways, just so the reader could get the pathos of the ending of that situation. And the descriptions were so 'purple prose' you needed a filter to read them. Fine metaphorical words about the sky or about the process of reading do not a great novel make. There are good books written for the YA readership (and older) about WW2 (and from various perspectives) but this was the most codswallopy of the dozen or so I've read. Its sentiment and storyline was admirable but the execution was sentimental, IMO.

Death's little interjections were darn irritating and smelled of gimmickry.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book Carica. I thought at first that Death's little asides would be distracting, but actually I quite liked them.

I thought it was a brilliant piece of work for young adults :D To each their own!

'The Book Thief' is a book you either love or hate and I loved it, I thought it was a beautiful book, truly beautiful :D

I'm telling Zusak you said that :D

I didn't think it was any more 'show-offy' or cliched than any other book that's been written recently. Although I must admit I got a little bit sick of all the 'he threw the words at her feet', 'the words landed on the table' etc. Cute in the first one or two instances but after that it was distracting and a little annoying.