The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Sugar

Ok I'm about 160 pages in at the moment and I'm not sure about it.

My reading mojo is starting to go and I don't know if it's because of the book or not. Will carry on plodding through seeing as all the raving reviews about it ..... maybe it'll pick up?

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Book Clubbers.

I joined this forum yesterday, and made it clear that I was halfway through reading 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. I am thrilled to say that I have just finished this emotional rollercoaster of a book. I must admit, I do not cry often, and the ending of this book brought a tear to my eye. 

To those of you who have recently, or not so recently, finished this amazingly realistic novel, what did you think of it? I am curious into thinking if other's opinions are similar to my own. 

Again, I am delighted to have finished this book, and am now in need of a cup of tea to get started on a new book!

I read The Book Thief last year and was enthralled. To me, it's one of those novels that have the ability to ruin other books for me - even if those other books are decent books, nice reads - when they followed a book like The Book Thief, I'm just not feeling it. It's also a book that left me with a book hangover - I needed to gather my bearings, almost descend into the real world again, as if I'd been somewhere else.

What book is following this one up for you?

I read The Book Thief last year and was enthralled. To me, it's one of those novels that have the ability to ruin other books for me - even if those other books are decent books, nice reads - when they followed a book like The Book Thief, I'm just not feeling it. It's also a book that left me with a book hangover - I needed to gather my bearings, almost descend into the real world again, as if I'd been somewhere else.

What book is following this one up for you?

Yes, definitely understand where you're coming from. However, being the coward I am, I had to induce myself in another world (specifically Miles Halter's, from Looking For Alaska) to distract myself from getting emotional over the emotive context Zusak uses to set the scene of death is this truly magnificent piece of work. I admire the book, and somehow look up to it, as well as Liesel Meminger, the Book Thief. 

I loved The Book Thief! It was a very emotional book. I finished it in two days, it was easy to read and I liked the writing style. I thought Death as narrator made things more interesting and I loved the characters in the book. I also loved the theme of books running through the book.

Ohh, I loved The Book Thief as well! True, it's so emotional, extremely moving, a definite tearjerker read!!! :')I really look forward to seeing it when it's released on DVD - actually which is coming out this 7th!!! So that's cool :D

I enjoyed the writing also, so cleverly put, and brilliantly descriptive.

Rudy Steiner in particular stood out for me, it really tugs at your heart strings!

Such a brilliant, and very powerful book.