The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Sugar

Book Title The Book Thief

Author Markus Zusak

Publisher Random House

Synopsis "When Death tells a story, you really have to listen"

It is 1939, Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still. By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is "The Gravedigger's Handbook", left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her foster father, learns to read. Soon, she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found. But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

Narrated by Death, The Book Thief is a story about the power of words and the ability of books to feed the soul.

My thoughts This book will probably appeal to those of you waxing lyrical on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas thread! First published in Australia in 2005, I am amazed that it has taken so long to reach the US and the UK. Originally written as a novel for Young Adults it has been simultaneously published with a "Young" cover and an "adult" cover.

Set in Germany, I was horrified that it had never occured to me that the German population had to endure rationing, hiding in air-raid shelters all night and all the other horrors that Britain had to cope with. It really highlighted to me that propaganda is still as rife in our history lessons and British re-tellings as it was during the war itself.

Liesel is a fantastic character, strong-willed and able to stand up for herself, but clearly very unsure about life and how best to approach it. Her friendship with Rudy, her next door neighbour is well imagined and touching. For me they were certainly the best thing about the book.

I started reading it a couple of weeks ago, and found that it needed some perseverance for me to get into it. I found some of the use of German irritating, Zusak often uses basic phrases, and then repeats them in English later in the sentence to allow translation. Death, as a narrative voice, was appealing and humourous but wasn't strictly chronological, revealing pointers about the ending that don't necessarily materialise!

It is certainly not a comfortable read. But to give it credit, I was in tears as I read the final chapters this afternoon (something that John Boyne didn't achieve with Striped Pajamas).

It's also not a book that is suitable for taking on the train with you - currently only available in hardback, and weighing in at 584 pages, you need as much physical strength to read it as mental strength.

But it is worth the perseverance and the muscle building, as it is a rewarding read with some very interesting points to make.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought this one last week as I kept picking it up in Waterstones. Saw it in Borders though at half price for one day only, and I got a free bag with it! It just looked so interesting that I kept going back to it, however, it was the size that made me hesitate. Still, it's on my TBR pile now, along with The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and I'm looking forward to reading them both.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this about 2 weeks ago and I still haven't started it.

I have not read 'Shadow of the wind', I keep meaning to buy it, sorry Lovesreading. :)

I have not read 'Shadow of the wind', I keep meaning to buy it, sorry Lovesreading. :)

Funnily enough this is a book which induces guilt in me everytime I see it because I haven't read it yet. I think it looks good and my mum who's read it recommended it to me. I know very little about Spain and suspect this book would teach me something - think this is where the guilt thing is coming from!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great review! I am in love with this book for exactly the reason you mentioned..sure is mind-opening. So thoughtfully written, heartbreaking, and funny, too. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get into the style at first, but I ended up falling in love and in the end I ran right out and bought copies for my family to read. Then I went and got The Messenger, and liked that one, too.

I thought it was a beautiful book - one of my favourites of this year. Can't wait to give The Messenger a try - unfortunately the library doesn't stock it - might have to get my purse out for a change!

Snap my library doesn't do it either so i have to spend money on it. Its looks a good book.

You may be able to ask the library to buy it - I've put it forward for book suggestions (via the website available to the public) - I think that as people read The Book Thief they will want to read other books by Markus Zusak.

• 4 months later...

It's a great review Sugar! You cover everything that I would have said about this book! I loved it, I too had no idea that the ordinary citizens of Germany suffered in much the same way as the allies. From the default notion of Nazi Germany in my head, all of the Germans are dedicated followers of Hitler; ridiculous thinking! I'm so pleased that I read this book for opening my naive eyes at the very least.

I really enjoyed the narrative by Death, I loved that he tells you early on what will happen at the end, so that you know all the way through, and expect all the way through for things to happen but are still surprised and moved when they do happen. I loved his unique perspective on the world

..when he is on the roof of the gas chamber collecting souls, it completely broke my heart

The friendship between Liselle and Rudy was truely beautiful, as was her relationship with Max and her papa.

...it's late! I want to write more but my brain isn't working!! Bah!!

Ultimately this book touched my emotions and broke my heart, for many reasons - it was a great read.

Me again, I loved this book, it was so lovely, and parts of it were heartbreaking, I actually had tears in my eyes at the end.

I think I went over the top - I sobbed for about an hour once I'd finished! I had to call Johnny at some ridiculous hour of the night for comfort!! ...incredible considering you knew from the beginning how it was going to turn out!!

I think it was the fact that they never kissed that broke my heart the most, hopeless romantic that I am!

The best book I've read this year - heartbreaking, thought provoking and beautiful.

Very well put Judy and very true, just a lovely book x

I really feel that I should read this book. All of your comments are really encouraging me to give it a go. :welcome:

Liz, you can have mines, its just that it is hardback, a bit big for your bag, but the offer is there, I would love you to read it. x