The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've been watching Burn Notice on DVD. I'd seen some of it on the USA network a few years ago, and was intrigued. We are on Season 3 now, and loving it. Interesting premise and execution.

The main protagonist is a "burned" spy that has been dumped in Miami, his home town. He doesn't know why or who did it, and is trying to find out that information. That is the main plot, on the side he helps people out of what seem insurmountable problems. Lots of explosions and car chases and dasterdly people. :D

We've been introducing Xan to Harry Potter. He's now seen films 1 - 4, but I thin kafter that they get a bit dark for him, so he'll have to wait a while for the rest of them. His favourite sems to be #3 (The Prisoner of Azkaban), and the only thing so far he's been remotely upset about was in #4 (The Goblet of Fire), not when Diggory died, but when Diggory's Dad was crying because Diggory had died. Xan got onto my knee and said, "That's very sad, Mummy. I feel a bit sad now. I want a hug, please." It was very sweet and he soon cheered up again when I gave him a lollypop and when he watched it again ,he didn't get upset at all. He just told me (as we've told him), "It's not really real, though, Mummy. It's just a story like in my books. You've got this story on your bookshelf!"

He's a smart little cookie, you know! ;)

I have started on the 'Harry Potter' box set I was bought for Christmas. So I have just finished watching 'Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone'. I can't get over how young the cast all look!

He just told me (as we've told him), "It's not really real, though, Mummy. It's just a story like in my books. You've got this story on your bookshelf!"

He's a smart little cookie, you know! ;)

And a smart Mummy to get that across to him.

The both of y'all. :)

We watched Archangel with Daniel Craig last night, Phew! What a ride it was. Beautiful scenery, good story.

Craig plays a historian/writer who has studied at the University of Moscow and is back there for a conference. An old man waylays him outside the building and starts telling him that he was with Stalin when he died, and has a journal that Beria had hidden.

The chase is on, with incredible results.

The last scene is.....wow!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - fantastic!

Always good to see Rodney McKay and Draco Malfoy getting their arses kicked by a chimpanzee :giggle2:

Loved some of the references to the original movie, like Caesar's mother being called Bright Eyes, and Caesar playing with the model of the Statue of Liberty :D Loved the ending too, with the disease being spread around the world, and found the whole escape very exciting. Wasn't so sure about some of the recycled dialogue (like re-using the "Get your stinking paws off me" line). Also, there seemed to be a lot more apes running amok than were actually in the 'rescue' centre, even before they freed more from the zoo :giggle2: Apart from that, though, awesome! At last the memories of the awful Tim Burton reboot can be put to rest ...

Shutter Island (very strange film!) and then Glorious 39 (strange film too!) last night. Need something simple to watch soon....having said that off to see the Iron Lady tomorrow with a couple of friends.

Mrs Brown - I love that film!

Me too, have seen it twice. Once at the theatre, and have the DVD.

Shutter Island (very strange film!) and then Glorious 39 (strange film too!) last night. Need something simple to watch soon....having said that off to see the Iron Lady tomorrow with a couple of friends.

Loved Shutter Island. The night we saw it, we stopped at the book store and bought a copy of the book. It stuck pretty close. Both excellent.

We still have to watch Shutter Island,I've read mixed reviews and am curious. During the holidays my children and I watched many movies, both on tv and dvd's.

While looking for interesting dvd's in the library I found a German movie called 'Goodbye Lenin', the description sounded interesting enough to try it, it turned out to be an amazing movie. I watched it with my 14-year old, even without knowing everything about history she still enjoyed it very much. The story is about a brother and sister who are not telling their mother that the Wall doesn't excist anymore and are keeping the changes in German society away from her. Reason is she was in a coma and only woke up when Germany became one and life was rapidly changing, even though she was less than a year in coma, everything was changed. She is bed ridden though and doctor says any excitement could be dangerous, so what her children do is keeping everything in her room the way it was. She wants to watch tv for example, so her son and his friend make fake news reports. In their news reports they show an ideal DDR however, without the mistakes, a DDR as it should have been, a more human DDR. There are different layers and story lines. Not to forget the humor, it wasn't really a sentimental movie and I think the humor in it saved it. Unique movie and one I'd recommend to anyone who is in for a fascinating story telling movie and humor.

Amongst other dvd's we found in the library 'Limitless' was great. The ending was very different from what I had expected. You never knew what would happen in the next scene. A unique idea and well done. My children and I were glued to the screen from the beginning till the end. They are 12 and 14, I'm 34, so it appeals to all ages. (after all the cartoons and animation movies filled with violence and fairy tales not just filled with violence but also scary for children quite often, even though we do tell them to children, I think a movie like 'Limitless' can't do more harm than those fairy tales and cartoons and animation movies)

I rewatched a dvd I own after a long time. 'Me and my shadows', about Judy Garland. I had forgotten how amazing it was. I laughed, I was in awe, I was shocked, I cried. It left me both happy and sad. What an amazing talent Garland was. I wish she would have been better looked after and I wish she could have been stronger to take care of herself. Such a loss of talent. :-( Some years ago I found 'A star is born' in a shop in Rotterdam. Of course I had to buy it. It's her only movie I own. I have the special edition where they put the deleted parts back in and you get a glimpse of the movie as it should have been, sometimes just with drawings of the scenes and voice overs. That movie is one of many I watch at least once a year. And even now it still has me in tears. What amazing performances. I do wonder after watching 'Me and my shadows' and clips of Judy Garland on YouTube, is the fame worth it?

Edited by sadya

Some years ago I found 'A star is born' in a shop in Rotterdam. Of course I had to buy it. It's her only movie I own. I have the special edition where they put the deleted parts back in and you get a glimpse of the movie as it should have been, sometimes just with drawings of the scenes and voice overs.

I watched this recently for the first time. I also have the version with the deleted parts put back in but I didn't realise and thought it was very odd when they were just showing pictures with the voice overs. I think I'd prefer to watch it without the deleted scenes. I also love Garland in Meet Me in St Louis. :)

While growing up I saw many Garland movies, including the ones she did in the beginning of her career with Rooney. But unfortunately I can't remember all their names. One of her movies I really enjoyed was the one with Astaire, I loved the humor and the songs. Easter Parade.

My age was 11-13 when movies from the past were shown on normal channels quite often, especially on Saturday afternoons. Nowadays they don't do that often anymore, I just have nice memories. We used to have TCM (or TMC) which only aired movies from the past. That gave me the chance to show my children some of those movies. Now we don't have TCM anymore in the normal package. I miss it. I read that in countries like the US people can still rent and buy these old movies everywhere. That's just amazing and they are lucky!

The last movie I saw was The Knowing. It was really disappointing. It started promising and interesting but how longer we were watching, how weirder it got. Especially the end was just awful. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time by watching this movie.

The last movie I saw was The Knowing. It was really disappointing. It started promising and interesting but how longer we were watching, how weirder it got. Especially the end was just awful. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time by watching this movie.

I agree, this is a terrible film! It shows so much promise at the beginning, but the ending not only raised questions, but also made me think that it was pointless watching the film in the first place.

Watchmen was on TV yesterday, which was nice since I've wanted to see that film. Good one, definitely. I loved the way music was used in the film. Surprising song choices that even carried the story at times. Don't know why, but somehow the end was a tiny bit disappointing, or somehow I felt that the movie kind of ended without a proper end, you know. Or then it was just me, it was getting late and I was getting tired towards the end, heh.