The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vertigo, with James Stewart. Good twist, which I am obligated not to reveal here, because it would really spoil it for anyone who has never seen the film. I find Hitchcock a bit hit-and-miss generally, but I quite liked this one. (Having said that, NOrth by Northwest and To Catch a Thief are both BRILLIANT films!)

Vertigo, with James Stewart. Good twist, which I am obligated not to reveal here, because it would really spoil it for anyone who has never seen the film. I find Hitchcock a bit hit-and-miss generally, but I quite liked this one. (Having said that, NOrth by Northwest and To Catch a Thief are both BRILLIANT films!)

Is that Gene Kelly in your avatar. btw, I have noticed that you appreciate good films (LOL - IMO). :)

Is that Gene Kelly in your avatar. btw, I have noticed that you appreciate good films (LOL - IMO). :)

Thanks muggle not :) It is indeed Gene Kelly with Debbie Reynolds. Singin' In The Rain is my very favourite film ever. It is just such a happy film, and I never get bored of watching it!

I love old classic Hollywood - most of my favourite films are from the 1930s - 1950s, and most of my favourites actors too!

Thanks muggle not :) It is indeed Gene Kelly with Debbie Reynolds. Singin' In The Rain is my very favourite film ever. It is just such a happy film, and I never get bored of watching it! I love old classic Hollywood - most of my favourite films are from the 1930s - 1950s, and most of my favourites actors too!

Singing in the Rain is also one of my favorite films. The scene with Gene Kelly (:) you know which one)is probably the best scene ever filmed in a movie.

I haven't seen Vertigo, but it's on my list of films to watch when I spot it on television, especially as I have to agree that To Catch A Thief is a fabulous film. We have very similar tastes in film! :lol:

Chaliepud, you must put all the books onto your wish list! They just get better and better. :) The last time I looked, it wasn't looking too good for a sequel. :( I really hope they'll do one, though. I really think they should make it into a TV series.

Chaliepud, you must put all the books onto your wish list! They just get better and better. :) The last time I looked, it wasn't looking too good for a sequel. :( I really hope they'll do one, though. I really think they should make it into a TV series.

My son has read the first one but I haven't so I'll get to that soon, was the film close to the book or was it very different? I'm trying my hardest not to buy any many books at the moment, but the second book is at the top of my wish list and the third isn't due out until late April here.

I'll keep everything crossed for another movie. I don't think it was released at the cinema over here, the first I saw of it was on Sky Movies. :(

The movie was reasonably close to the book - there were a few changes, but nothing that upset me too much. :)

The books are only just being released over there? :( They've been out for a decade or two here. The series was originally a trilogy but was then extended to seven books, with a further three in a sort of spin-off series (they're called the Ellie Chronicles but are really part of the same series - it just doesn't feature the other characters very much).

We studied the first book in English at high school and I remember there was a really long waiting list at the library for the second and third books. Of course I just went out and bought them. :) Everyone loved them. :)

Ah, it looks like the ones I was looking at were new covers so the original ones are still available, well some of them at least, I noticed on amazon that book 7 is over £20 but when the time comes I may be able to order it from the book shop.

Thanks for the info Kylie! :-))

I watched a couple of films in the last few days.

The Awakening was a pretty decent ghost story. Note I said Ghost story, not horror. I have been waiting years for a ghost story as good as The Others, and this came pretty close. Rebecca Hall was the lead actress and I very much liked her character, my only reservation being that she was rather too self confident and free thinking for a 1920s woman, along with her wild and sexy hairstyle, which seemed especially anachronistic to me.

The other film was a crazy Japanese zombie martial arts film called Versus.

An escaped convict finds himself in The Forest of Ressurrection, one of a number of places on the earth acting as a portal between this plane of existence and the next, where at certain times the dead can come back to life. He is supposed to meet some local gangsters there who helped spring him from jail. They bring with them a young female hostage, the sight of whom raises a small spark of compassion in the convict, who rescues her and they run off into the forest, followed by the enraged gangsters. Unfortunately for the gangsters, this is where they have unwittingly been bringing their enemies for gangland executions and the forest is full of bodies in shallow graves, who as soon as the convict arrives start coming back to life . It soon transpires that this is no accident of timing, and the convict and the girl are predestined to take part in a battle of good versus evil that has been repeated in centuries past.

This was recommended to me by a friend at work who is into this type of obscure stuff. It cost me only 40p from Amazon so was worth a watch, although it is not a keeper for me, I will trade it in at the shop downstairs.

Edited by vodkafan

Avatar not seen it before but it was on tv yesterday hmmmmm James Cameron what was he thinking usually in the past this might have been a film I loved but now that I have gone beyond my teenage years it was so unsubtle with its hidden context. If I want to watch a film about how we treat others in the form of an alien race I will watch District 9 or Monsters one for the sheer brutality and the other for a beautiful film with far fewer special effects, if I want to watch something on environmental issues I will watch a nature documentary with David Attenborough. I was really dissapointed I also think Cameron had watched far to much Lion King!

Thanks for the info Kylie! :-))

You're very welcome. :)

I bought Kubrick's Lolita recently and watched it last night. I saw it once many years ago but couldn't remember much of it. It's been a few years since I read the book, too, so I'd forgotten some of the plot points. Excellent movie!

I received 2 movies in the mail today that I can't wait to watch: Watership Down and Bell, Book and Candle. :D I've been dying to see the latter, in particular, for years. BCF is responsible for me wanting to see Watership Down. :)

I watched a couple of films in the last few days.

The Awakening was a pretty decent ghost story. Note I said Ghost story, not horror.

This is the film with Dominic West in, isn't it? He is my (to use an 80s word) hearth-throb. So this film is definitely on my to-watch list. Thanks for pointing out that it's a ghost, not a horror story. I'm not a big fan of horror, but I do like some ghost stories, and would also agree that The Others was a terrific film :)

I watched Tootsie at the weekend, which I have somehow managed never to see up until now, despite the fact that I really like Dustin Hoffman. I enjoyed it a lot - not sure that I would agree with the AFI that it's the second funniest film ever (beaten to the top spot by Some Like It Hot), but Dustin's acting and a terrific supporting cast made it well worth watching.

Edited by Ruth

I went to the cinema to see 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' (in Spanish) last night. I thought it was a little cliched and predictable in places, but in general it was a charming and enjoyable film.

Avatar not seen it before but it was on tv yesterday hmmmmm James Cameron what was he thinking usually in the past this might have been a film I loved but now that I have gone beyond my teenage years it was so unsubtle with its hidden context. If I want to watch a film about how we treat others in the form of an alien race I will watch District 9 or Monsters one for the sheer brutality and the other for a beautiful film with far fewer special effects, if I want to watch something on environmental issues I will watch a nature documentary with David Attenborough. I was really dissapointed I also think Cameron had watched far to much Lion King!

Thank your lucky stars you didn't sit your bottom on a cinema seat for it. I did and it went on and on and on ... the cliches kept coming and the animation which started off as intriguing soon began to lose it's appeal and it got more and more preachy and my chocolate ran out and my bum went numb and I lost the will to live and everything was Winter and not Christmas and I thought I'd be stuck in that cinema forever. If it hadn't finished when it did I would have flouted their regulations and turned my phone on to call for help. A trip to Sainsbury's on the way home was bliss compared :D And after all the hype too.

my chocolate ran out and my bum went numb and I lost the will to live and everything was Winter and not Christmas and I thought I'd be stuck in that cinema forever.

:haha: I love your work, Poppyshake. :D

I never saw this at the movies, but still want to watch it when it's shown on TV.