The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched Melancholia the other night: a strange film about a planet that is about to collide with earth but centred around a family in a secluded mansion. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland, Alexander Skarsgard and John Hurt. It is directed by Lars von Trier, responsible for Antichrist (2009) which if you saw then you can anticipate the sort of film this will be.

It is very slow, and can be very difficult to appreciate in some places and I think most people won't. It is a very interesting concept and will certainly boggle the mind, I think it is worth a go, but at 130 mins it is no light watch. The characters are difficult to like and associate with, but it is nice to see an apocalyptic genre in a non-Hollywood form.

Overall I would give it 3/5

We went to see The Artist this afternoon, and without wanting to give too much away, it was absolutely brilliant and the best film I have seen in ages. Although it is meant to be seen through the eyes of the male lead, whose career is faltering, I can see that there is far more hinted at for those who have the eyes to see it - there is one particular scene where his worst fears about talking films are being materialised in the sights and sounds of all the things that he sees around him, and for me at least, the movement from having sat through at that stage, a good half hour of silence, apart from the soundtrack, and the sudden noise that represents his fears is palpable. That scene really highlights the sheer amount of stuff that we are bombarded with these days everywhere we turn and how silence is just not respected anymore as something that we do actually need.

A very interesting film and one that I shall be ordering the moment the DVD is released. It deserves every single Oscar it has been nominated for.

Really looking forward to seeing The Artist. The good thing is that from what I've heard, it really IS fantastic, and not just a case of The Emperor's New Clothes.

On Saturday night, I watched Sunset Boulevard, with William Holden and Gloria Swanson. What can I say? This film was incredible. I could hardly bear to turn my eyes away, and it's easily one of the best films I've ever seen (which I don't say lightly).

Really looking forward to seeing The Artist. The good thing is that from what I've heard, it really IS fantastic, and not just a case of The Emperor's New Clothes.

It really is superb Ruth - take it from me. I am a big silent movie fan anyway, as my parents were a generation older than most of my friends, so I grew up watching a lot of them. The Directors and Producers really did their research on this one, charting the transition from silent movies to talkies. To me, apart from the fabulous acting, soundtrack and scenery, the film just underlined the fact so much of communication is non verbal - nuances and facial expressions can and often do convey so much more than mere words.

Edited by Talisman

I hate silent movies and not a huge fan of black and white but I really enjoyed the Artist. All the oscar buzz got to me an I finally gave him and suprised myself. Definately deserved the oscars. It did go a little slow in the middle but was worth sticking with.

Just finished watching The English Patient.

My daughter and I had a bit of a laugh about the "English patient" being in love with a person called Katherine. That same actor was Heathcliff and in love with a Catherine in Wuthering Heights. I joked 'perhaps he'll scream Cathy or Catherine' here too and near the end he yelled 'Katherine'. We looked at each other stunned and couldn't stop laughing, well actually we could and we did because The English movie was fantastic. The music, the scenery, the script, everything was just amazing.

And of course this movie and these main characters are all completely different roles from Wuthering Heights for the people who haven't watched these movies yet. There isn't really much of a resemblance at all between Wuthering Heights and The English patient, apart from the main character being played by Fiennes who is in love with someone named Catherine or Katherine. So if you were planning to watch one of these movies, go ahead, they're all different and worth watching.

I watched 'The Guard' at the weekend. Brendan Gleeson plays a quirky local copper on the West Coast of Ireland and Don Cheadle is an FBI agent sent to investigate some drug smugglers. The idea was promising but the film was average at best. Gleeson and Cheadle's acting is of the great standard that they are known for but the film lacked something for me.

Re: The Artist. To me it was a reminder of how important the big screen is as a medium. And a lesson to us all to stop watching things on our laptops and to get down to your local picture house. A great film. I walked out from watching it grinning from ear to ear.

Edited by Milo MInderbinder

We watched 'My mighty princess' on YouTube,it's a Korean movie with English subtitles. Found it by accident and enjoyed it very much. Funny movie. My children loved it too. It's great to watch with the entire family.

I watched Star Wars IV yesterday to test out my new surround sound system.

I tried watching one of the beach movies from the 60s today - Bikini Beach - but it was surprisingly lousy (I usually like this type of flick). I noticed Bye Bye Birdie on another channel so watched that instead. I already have it on DVD because I really love it. :)

This afternoon I went to the movies with my Mum to see One for the Money. A pretty good adaptation. It's not an earth-shattering movie, by any means, but I thought it was enjoyable. The reviews have been pretty harsh though.

Serious Moonlight - I'd never even heard of it, but it was billed as a dark romcom. Oh dear. I can't put my finger on it, but it sort of felt like everything was a rehearsal rather than a finished scene? Odd and quite nasty in places.

Perfect Romance - made for TV movie which ended up being quite enjoyable, if a tad predictable, mainly because of the performance of Kathleen Quinlan, who I thought was really good in this.

Edited by chesilbeach

I watched the Inbetweeners last night. Very amusing in a 'check your brain' way. The final frames of the film were the best thing about it.

If you liked the TV series, you'll like the movie. It's more of the same.

I saw an interesting movie from the 60s the other day called The Sadist. In terms of plot, it's a little like a tame version of Wolf Creek (well, what I've seen of that movie!). I looked up the movie while I was watching it and found out that it's based on a true story ( :o) of two serial killers named Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate.

I went yesterday to watch "The woman in black" (alone, with less than 6 peoples in the cinema, it was pretty scary xD). I liked it, but the end was disapointing (maybe because I watch it in Spanish and didn't understood one detail that explain it). Did the movie respect the book's story ?

Edited by Taïr

Two dvd's based of truth. Bright Star, the story of the love affair between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. And In Tranzit, a film about a group of German POW's sent mistakenly to a Russian women's transit prison.

Did the movie respect the book's story ?

I haven't seen the film (despite wanting to) but I understand that it's not very true to the book (or at least, they said the ending wasn't right) so it's put me off. :(

I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night - what a fantastic film! We read the book on which it's based (These Foolish Things) for Book Club a few years ago. The film isn't the same story but it's definitely one of those cases where the film is better than the book! I really want to go and see it again!

Two dvd's based of truth. Bright Star, the story of the love affair between John Keats and Fanny Brawne.

I have this at home, but not seen it yet (I tend to hoard movies to watch 'later', in the same way as I do with books.)

I haven't seen the film (despite wanting to) but I understand that it's not very true to the book (or at least, they said the ending wasn't right) so it's put me off. :(

I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night - what a fantastic film! We read the book on which it's based (These Foolish Things) for Book Club a few years ago. The film isn't the same story but it's definitely one of those cases where the film is better than the book! I really want to go and see it again!

A couple of people I know have been to see The Woman in Black, and not really enjoyed it. They thought that Daniel Radcliffe was unconvincing in the role, apart from anything else.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel does look fantastic. How can anything with a cast including Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson and Judi Dench fail to deliver :D Glad you enjoyed it Janet :)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel does look fantastic. How can anything with a cast including Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson and Judi Dench fail to deliver :D Glad you enjoyed it Janet :)

Thanks. :) It was so good that I'd go and see it again!