The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

I watched two at the weekend. The Purple Plain, with Gregory Peck (*swoon*). Not really in war movies, and I wouldn't have watched this one if GP hadn't been in it. It's not really a war movie though - it's more a study of the human psyche, with WWII as a backdrop. Anyway, very good.

The other film I saw was Primrose Path with Ginger Rogers (not dancing) and Joel McCrea (not being a cowboy). Ginger was actually a very good dramatic actress, and this film was pretty good, if a bit of a cliched storyline.

I watched 10 minutes of The Three Musketeers. It was so bad I had to turn it off

The new one? I've heard several bad reviews of that! I like the old cheesy version with Gene Kelly as D'artagnan :)

Meant to say, after watching the Baftas last night, I'm more excited than ever about The Artist.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched The Help last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure it should get best picture at the Oscars, but I'm really cheering for Octavia Spencer to win best actress. She was wonderful :).

I watched The Help last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure it should get best picture at the Oscars, but I'm really cheering for Octavia Spencer to win best actress. She was wonderful :).

She really was good, wasnt she? I was impressed with Emma Stone as well

I think she just won the Best Supporting Actress award at the BAFTAs on Sunday, didn't she? :unsure:

Went to see The Artist last night, before it finishes its run in the cinemas (it's only showing at one of the half dozen cinemas within travelling distance of here). Chesilbeach reckons it's been a bit hyped, and I can see what she means, but we both loved it. As OH said, it's a real take on Singing in the Rain, with everything done in reverse! It was also fascinating to see how they dealt with the lack of sound - pulling on a lot of the techniques used in the original silents - developing a whole different approach as a result. And when they did use sound, it was really clever. I loved the B&W photography as well - again interesting to see it being exploited to advantage. Great film!

I've been really surprised though how quickly films are being pushed through cinema and out the other side now. I really wanted to go and see The Iron Lady this week, and was amazed to find it already finished. Was it unsuccessful? It's only survived three or four weeks at best.

BTW, the reviews for once looked really tempting: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel looks to have a cast to die for - Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton, Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup, Dev Patel (probably missed someone too!); Mirror, Mirror looks to be a really fun spoof of Snow White (interesting to see Juia Robertson taking the older character role). And a couple of others as well.

Edited by willoyd

I'm glad you liked The Help. I loved the book, which makes me wary of seeing the film. It has had good reviews though :)

Went to see The Artist last night, before it finishes its run in the cinemas (it's only showing at one of the half dozen cinemas within travelling distance of here). Chesilbeach reckons it's been a bit hyped, and I can see what she means, but we both loved it. As OH said, it's a real take on Singing in the Rain, with everything done in reverse! It was also fascinating to see how they dealt with the lack of sound - pulling on a lot of the techniques used in the original silents - developing a whole different approach as a result. And when they did use sound, it was really clever. I loved the B&W photography as well - again interesting to see it being exploited to advantage. Great film!

I've been really surprised though how quickly films are being pushed through cinema and out the other side now. I really wanted to go and see The Iron Lady this week, and was amazed to find it already finished. Was it unsuccessful? It's only survived three or four weeks at best.

BTW, the reviews for once looked really tempting: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel looks to have a cast to die for - Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton, Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup, Dev Patel (probably missed someone too!); Snow White looks to be a really fun spoof. And a couple of others as well.

I can't remember the last time I was as excited to see a film as I am about The Artist. It just looks amazing. (I picked up on the similarity to Singin' In The Rain - which is probably my all time favourite film. Also Jean DuJardin reminds me somewhat of Gene Kelly.) Really looking forward to it.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel looks terrific too. Well, I'd watch anything with Maggie Smith in. The whole cast is incredible. The cream of British talent :)

I should have mentioned that one of the other previews was for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I quite enjoyed the book, but the film promises to be better. Obviously I'm only seeing the bits that they think will attract the audience to it, but there's a humour in it that really appeals to me. Looks very promising in a very quirky sort of way.

BTW, off topic slightly, but does this Music/TV/Film forum also cover live performance (Theatre etc), or is there a specific thread? I can't find a thread for it at the moment, and, perhaps unusually, we tend to go to the theatre far more than the cinema.

Willoyd, yep, it was me who thought The Artist has been over-hyped, but I think it's because I watch/listen to a lot of film review programmes, as well as follow a lot of filmic people on Twitter, and I'd seen/heard so many comments such as "This is the best film you will see this year" or "OMG, it's amazing!" and that it was always going to be hard to live up to that. I did still think it was very good, but maybe because I still watch old B&W films, it wasn't quite so much of a unique experience for me.

About the films staying in cinemas, most cinemas have a policy of reviewing the box office week on week now, so as soon as a film drops below a certain number of tickets sold, it is removed while other really popular films may extend into more screens or new films replace them. Unfortunately, it means it's difficult to get a slow burner or increase popularity by word of mouth. It's also the reason that most cinemas only publish their show times from about Tuesday or Wednesday for the week starting that Friday. I think some of the bigger films may get a guaranteed certain number of weeks, but most are subject to box office numbers.

I've only seen it a few times, but I appreciate it more every time I watch it. :) It's based on Emma, right? This is the first time I've seen it since I learnt that. Now I'm watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.