The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

Watched Daddy-Long-Legs (1955).

The book is an all-time favourite of mine and was curious to watch the film.

It is musical, and takes many detours from the book - but is still charming.

It's best to treat it as a film by itself - as I'm not sure anything can match up to the magic of the book.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And watched In Burges last night.

Christian metaphors, crime, punishment & the consequences, brilliant acting, and the picturesque Burges.

Not a film I'd pick instinctively to watch, but it made me stay up till late thinking about it.

Thank your lucky stars you didn't sit your bottom on a cinema seat for it. I did and it went on and on and on ... the cliches kept coming and the animation which started off as intriguing soon began to lose it's appeal and it got more and more preachy and my chocolate ran out and my bum went numb and I lost the will to live and everything was Winter and not Christmas and I thought I'd be stuck in that cinema forever. If it hadn't finished when it did I would have flouted their regulations and turned my phone on to call for help. A trip to Sainsbury's on the way home was bliss compared :D And after all the hype too.

:haha: I love your work, Poppyshake. :D

I never saw this at the movies, but still want to watch it when it's shown on TV.

Hilarious Poppy glad I didn't bother to see it at the cinema

Kylie I was just so dissapointed as I say it would have been something I might have loved if I had been in my teenage years now though there are so many better films out there in the Scifi/Fantasy genre and films which deal with what was obviously a pet project for James Cameron oh well it was on tv so the only thing I lost was time :D

Watched Daddy-Long-Legs (1955).

The book is an all-time favourite of mine and was curious to watch the film.

It is musical, and takes many detours from the book - but is still charming.

It's best to treat it as a film by itself - as I'm not sure anything can match up to the magic of the book.

Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron? Brilliant! not read the book though - although I might, now that you have piqued my interest :)

Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron? Brilliant! not read the book though - although I might, now that you have piqued my interest :)

Yes! Something's gotta give ;)

You should read the book - it's by Jean Webster - it written as a series of letters - and has the most charming sketches peppered through out.

We went to see The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists![\I] this afternoon, and very enjoyable it was. I don't think it was as good as Wallace and Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit but it was fun and funny, and will need multiple viewings to get catch all the visual gags :lol:

The following attachment is an interesting article on the musical "Singing In The Rain". For example, they almost starred Howard Keel in the movie instead of Gene Kelly and were also thinking of June Allyson or Judy Garland instead of the teenager Debbie Reynolds. As much as I love judy Garland, I am glad that Debbie Reynolds was selected for the part.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/03/27/singin-in-the-rain-60th-anniversary_n_1389545.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D147922

I saw 'The Artist' the other day. I had some reservations about this film, thinking that the popularity of this film is due to it's novelty factor. However, I love this film. The emotion that the actors convey, mean that no words are necessary and it has a great plot.

I think that this is a charming film, which deserves the awards that it has received.

I saw 'The Artist' the other day. I had some reservations about this film, thinking that the popularity of this film is due to it's novelty factor. However, I love this film. The emotion that the actors convey, mean that no words are necessary and it has a great plot.

I think that this is a charming film, which deserves the awards that it has received.

Still really need to see this!!

Just watched a nice film called 1969 starring Robert Downey Jr. and my favourite, Keither Sutherland. Made in the 80s it is quite dated but it is a nice depiction of two college graduates in 1969 coping with drugs, hippies and Vietnam. Very heartfelt and moving.

Shall We Dance, with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. As always with their films, the plot is wafer thin, and as always, it doesn't matter, becuase it isn't about the plot - it's about the music and dancing. This is the film where they dance on roller skates, which is incredibly impressive. I didn't think it touched Gene Kelly's tap dance on roller skates from It's Always Fair Weather though.

Last night the kids and I watched the old 1966 film The Dalek Invasion Of Earth 2150 AD. The children were in stitches over the whole thing but especially the fact that that Dr Who (Peter Cushing) was an old grandfather. There was a bit where they picked up a radio contolled helmet of a dead roboman (slave of the Daleks) and Dr Who looks at the circuitry of the radio and pronounces it very advanced. The kids were wetting themselves at this as it was not even a printed circuit board and had a big resister and soldered wires in it. Small son said the thing looked like a baby monitor. Even bigger laughs were had at the Dalek spaceship and the fact that everything in it was labelled in English and big letters. Every time a Dalek used its sucker or claw to operate a switch brought another load of laughs.

Meant to write this the other day. We watched Suspect X, the film version of the book The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino. It followed the book pretty accurately, only adding a few things that actually enhanced the visuals.

The name makes it sound a bit far out, but it is actually an excellent, rather twisty sort of mystery/detective/murder mystery. The last twist, at the end was unexpected to me in the book.

I watched Barbra Streisand in Yentl today. Great movie. Now I'm rewatching my favourite Lucille Ball movie, The Long Long Trailer.

While I was away I saw a great Bette Davis movie called The Anniversary.

Edited by Kylie