Khaled Hosseini

JudyB

Have just discovered that a new novel by Khaled Hosseini is due out in May.

A gripping drama of beauty, destruction, sadness, and suspense, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is at once an incredible chronicle of the last thirty years of Afghan history, and a deeply moving story of family, friendship, and the salvation to be found in love. (Amazon)

This is going on my wish list on LibraryThing and on order in the library - can't wait sounds as good as The Kite Runner.

Further information at fantasticfiction.com

Thanks for this - I've added it to my Amazon wishlist - I loved The Kite Runner. I'm a bit worried this won't live up to it, actually!

ETA: Ooooo - it sounds really good!

I know what you mean - the same thought crossed my mind. The Kite Runner is such a hard act to follow but reading up on this it looks as though it will also be quite gritty, and Khaled Hosseini will yet again be writing about what he knows so I'm very hopeful.

• 2 months later...

Started reading it months ago and it was very good then i was unable to read for a week then i was given "one child "and "gideon mack" to read in between and have just picked the kite runner up again today and have been unable to put it down. How fantastic is it? with all the twists and turns and the culture. Also tugs at the heart strings. Excellent read!

• 2 months later...

Thanks to this forum, I'll be starting The Kite Runner soon. Some of the motivation is that there is a new book by the author (thousand splendid suns, I believe) and I wanted to read the first before the second.

My instinct tells me that this is a novel that popped up unexpected, maybe it's his first work, and then people began talking about it and it got popular. I don't know, lol. But, I'll be on that journey very soon.

hi all- the kite runner was fantastic- i do have a thousand splendid suns which i hope to get to once i get through harry potter

My instinct tells me that this is a novel that popped up unexpected, maybe it's his first work, and then people began talking about it and it got popular. I don't know, lol. But, I'll be on that journey very soon.

I think that's what happened. It caught my eye in Waterstones and having not long before read The Bookseller of Kabul I was quite curious to read more about Afgan life. It was amazing and I was hooked. I have since recommended it to readers at the library and they in turn have recommended it to others and wanted to discuss it with me - it's certainly provoked a lot of interest. I think A Thousand Splendid Suns will have the same effect as it is easily as compelling.

I've just been reading about the film of this. It's due for release in America in November of this year and in Britain January 2008 - looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...