Why do we get so involved reading fiction books?

I often think to myself why do we get so involved reading fiction, some books I find you laugh, some books you can be in tears. When the book has finished you feel as if you really enjoyed it, and wishes it would never end.

I was wondering if any of you bookworms feel the same as what I do.

I get so involved in it because there are so many fictional worlds, places and people that are so much better than those in the real world! It's a wonderful escape and the most boundless of all entertainment media (imo) because you can write literally ANYTHING (no budget limits) and part of the creation is still left up to the reader (the visualisation and personal interpretation). That's also why I think it's so easy to get compeltely immersed in the worlds within books. I have DEFINITELY finished books and thought to myself 'that can't be it! There must be more! Waaahhhh!' :giggle2:

I get involved in the stories because so many of the characters resonate so deeply with things that I have experienced, or sometimes would like to experience in my own life, or wish that I hadn't !

I think we get involved because fiction is just "what if" - real people sometimes act that way, and we could live that way in the future. (Maybe not with those exact characters and events, but with similar challenges and emotions.) Fiction is powerful because it reflects and foretells real life.

I get involved in the stories because so many of the characters resonate so deeply with things that I have experienced, or sometimes would like to experience in my own life, or wish that I hadn't !

I definitely agree! And I find it leaves me missing the characters more than can possibly be healthy (:giggle:) when I finish books! The worst is getting really attached to someone who then dies - I'm usually inconsolable when that happens! :rolleyes:

I enjoy reading stuff where I think "I do that" and "I'm not the only one then" it can be comforting and its like being shown around someone elses imgaination.

For me, its like escaping into another world, its fantastic to share in the authors thoughts and the insight into their imagination!

I agree, I love escaping into my own little world. I do tend to become attached to characters though especially in series of books.

I think we get involved because although the characters are the important factors in the story and fictional, the person writing from those characters viewpoints is human and one of us so obviously those feelings are going to be evoked when reading the books.

I get involved, with particular characters and I share their qualities and traits. Often when I've finished a book, particular characters stay with me for ages. I do enjoy reading and get stuck in.

IMO, it fills a need that we humans have. Just like how we get involved in tv-series, movies and just gossip about people we know in real life. And just like we watch the news more often when something major has happened in the world. It engages us. We need other people in our lives to be fulfilled, we need things to happen and we need to be able to make sense of it or try to.

We don't ever do anything willingly that serves no purpose for us afterall. ;)

It depends on the author or on the kind of writing if I get involved. In a good book it feels like I'm standig right next to what happens, where I can see and hear everything.

In a "bad" book I feel like I stand 50 meters aside and won't ever know what really is going on.

But just these good books are why I read and what realy makes the joy of reading.