Long Time Coming - Robert Goddard

ian

"Eldritch Swan is a dead man. Or at least that is what his nephew Stephen has always been told. Until one day Eldritch walks back into his life after 36 years in an Irish prison. He won't reveal any of the details of his incarceration, insisting only that he is innocent of any crime.

His return should be of interest to no one. But the visit of a solicitor with a strange request will take Eldritch and his sceptical nephew from sleepy seaside Paignton to London and an exhibition of Picasso paintings from the pretigious Brownlow collection. This is the starting point on a journey that will transport them back to the Second World War and the mystery behind Eldritch's imprisonment"

I've read four of Robert Goddards books now, in no particular order, and they just get better and better. Anyone who has read more than one of his books will know that they generally follow the same pattern as this: a family secret that needs to be unraveled usually with significance to some famous historical event. In this case Goddard out-does himself; he manages to interweave the Belgium Congo, the Second World War and Irish politics in both the 1940's and mid '70's, when this book is set. The charactors are are believable and interesting (I've had some issues on that second point with some of the books of his that I've read), and he weaves an exciting tale around real events. I thought I'd read his best with "Found Wanting" earlier this year, but this is better.

Ian

• 1 year later...