A Game of Thrones weirdness

imma89

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and also to the fantasy genre, though I've read about half LOTR the first book (but I own them so I can finish them someday), The Hobbit and like 5 and a half Harry Potter books (I have them all too and I'm going to finish them someday). But that's pretty much it.

I've been picking up on a few new intersts (or allowing myself to actually spend some time doing something I like) and one of those things was to pick up on my reading. There's been so much fuzz about the Game of Thrones TV show and I know the book seris A Song of Ice and Fire is cherished and I feel the urge to explore the fantasy genre and this series in particular. I'm so lucky that my older brother owns the whole series so I've borrowed the first book from him. Other than him I know no one who's into this so I'm posting this here because I have literally no one to speak to this about!

I'm only on page 70 something but it striked me on almost the first pages how women are treated. Like how Daenerys brother treats her, twisting her nipples and pimping her out (or hoping to at least - I've not yet come so far to know how it turned out). How Ned treats his wife and how if someone dies the rule is that the widow get's the brother (or something, I'm not sure I quite understand this completely).

This really makes the book difficult for me to read, but everyone seems to love this series so I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. (And by everyone I mean by posts I've read on the internet, not by people I know; referring to my loneliness above). I know of course that this is not something that the author is promoting and yes it's a part of the authors cultural setting but still, it annoys me so much!

I would really like to know your thoughts on this please!

P.S Englis is not my first language so I'm sorry if my spelling or use of words is a bit off. I hope I'm doing OK though!

I've not read the books, but the deal with the Targaryens is that traditionally they marry brother to sister to "keep the bloodline of the Dragons pure" (in much the same way that the royals of Ancient Egypt often did). This would partially explain why Vyseris feels it is natural to act in a sexual manner towards his sister. Add to that te fact that he's a bit sadistic, and you can see that he enjoys making Daenerys feel uncomfortable and show ihis complete control over her at all times. In this instance, he's trying to make a political marriage for her in the hopes that Khal Drogo will provide an army to help him reconquer the Seven Kingdoms so that he can return his family to the ruling class as monarchs.

In the case of the Starks, I believe there were three reasons for Eddard marrying Catelyn. Firstly, as she was betrothed to his brother who died before they could be married, I think he thought it a point of duty and honour to marry and provide for her in his place. Secondly, a marriage between the families would have been politically advantageous, so the agreement of a wedding between the two houses would still be something that was wanted on both sides, even if the original groom was dead, therefore the brother steps up and takes his place. Thirdly, by all accounts she was something of a beauty and many men (including Little Finger - Lord Petyr Baelish) wanted to marry he, so Eddard probably did have at least some atraction to her as well.

Both of these examples have actual historical precedent - the Ancient Egyptians for the marriage between siblings and our very own British monarchy for the second (Henry VIII married Katherine of Aragon - the widow of his older brother), so they add an element of realism to the fantasy.

I hope that helps a little. :)

Did you watch the tv series? The only thing I'd add to Kell's excellent post is that the characters as portrayed in the books are actually a few years younger than how they are shown in the tv show, which may make it seem worse, although it is in keeping with Medieval times.

I agree, though, that he takes great delight in making his readers feel uncomfortable about the things he puts his characters through. It's not easy reading at times.

I think the most important thing to say, though, is that he does include some incredibly strong female characters - in fact, they're invariably stronger than the men. They may not seem like it at the early stage of the book you're at - they take time to develop and grow, and what they go through early in the story has great bearing on who they become later on.

I think/hope your enjoyment of it will increase as you go along. If not, don't give up on the fantasy genre - it's huge, and I'm certain there are other series out there that might be more to your taste.

And your English is very good, too :)

Thank you so much, this helped alot! I didn't know about the Egypts, it really sounds interesting so maybe I'll do some google-ing on this to add some history knowledge to my brain :P Always fun to learn somthing new!

But really, thank you.

Did you watch the tv series? The only thing I'd add to Kell's excellent post is that the characters as portrayed in the books are actually a few years younger than how they are shown in the tv show, which may make it seem worse, although it is in keeping with Medieval times.

I agree, though, that he takes great delight in making his readers feel uncomfortable about the things he puts his characters through. It's not easy reading at times.

I think the most important thing to say, though, is that he does include some incredibly strong female characters - in fact, they're invariably stronger than the men. They may not seem like it at the early stage of the book you're at - they take time to develop and grow, and what they go through early in the story has great bearing on who they become later on.

I think/hope your enjoyment of it will increase as you go along. If not, don't give up on the fantasy genre - it's huge, and I'm certain there are other series out there that might be more to your taste.

And your English is very good, too :)

No I havent watched the series yet, I'm saving it because I really want to read it first :P I'm not gonna give up on this, your reply's are really helping me. I'm all exited now to see how the women grow, I really hope you're right!

I think the fantasy genre is really exiting and I plan to read alot more. It's a great excape from the boring reality! :P

And thanks for the compliment :)

PS I thought my relpy to Kell's post would appear just below hers, I think I know how to do this now :P

Thank you so much, this helped alot! I didn't know about the Egypts, it really sounds interesting so maybe I'll do some google-ing on this to add some history knowledge to my brain :P Always fun to learn somthing new!

But really, thank you.

Yup, Cleopatra VII (the last pharaoh of Egypt) married TWO of her brothers - Ptolemy XIII and Ptolemy XIV - before she had her liaison with Julius Caesar and then later married Mark Antony. It was common practice to make sure the royal line was kept "pure" and power did not pass to another family. :)

It's not the first time such mariage practices have been mirrored in fantasy literature. :)

Good! Let us know how you get on with the book :)

Will do :D I'm hoping to finish it before school starts in late August.

Yup, Cleopatra VII (the last pharaoh of Egypt) married TWO of her brothers - Ptolemy XIII and Ptolemy XIV - before she had her liaison with Julius Caesar and then later married Mark Antony. It was common practice to make sure the royal line was kept "pure" and power did not pass to another family. :)

It's not the first time such mariage practices have been mirrored in fantasy literature. :)

That's good to know :) Thanks!

I'm now on to book three in the series 'A Storm of Swords, some of the sexual stuff could easily be left out (there really is no need for most of it, however since I've started the series, I've found that 1)its hard to put down and 2)the sex can easily be ignored as the rest of the story is pretty good :D

yep! That's what I do. I ignore the sex scenes. Martin really does overdo it and I don't feel it's justified. But then again, it's his book so whatever he wants flies. Dragons excluded, sadly. I'm waiting for the latest book to be released in India (in Paperback, I'm not paying through the nose for the hardback when he takes 7 years to write a book).

I'm now on to book three in the series 'A Storm of Swords, some of the sexual stuff could easily be left out (there really is no need for most of it, however since I've started the series, I've found that 1)its hard to put down and 2)the sex can easily be ignored as the rest of the story is pretty good :D

Well you're right I guess... But I have a slight problem with ignoring things becuse I visualize EVERYTHING and it's like I can't turn it off, which is the main reson I havent read any crime/horror book for many years! I'll try though :)

I've been to every charity shop in town and the library nowhere has any of these books.

Yeah, probably not a good time to be trying to find them in those places, what with the success of the tv show and all.

They're a bit cheaper from Amazon if you buy them individually.

:)

• 7 months later...

I have read the first three books, but they kept finding new countries to fight does this keep happening in every further book?