Looking for new horror authors

Hi BCF,

The title says it all so I wont repeat it,I have read all stephen kings books,a couple of Richard Laymon books(wasn't that impressed)I do have swan song on the TBR shelf but after that I don't know what to get so I'm looking for ideas.For all the horror readers out there tell me what your reading and recommend me some good solid writers of the genre.

Thanks for your time :)

Soory,forgot to mention I'm currently reading joe hill's heart shaped box which I'm enjoying :readingtwo:

• 3 weeks later...

Just started Heart Shaped Box myself. Seems pretty good so far.

Clive Barker's Books of Blood series is definitely worth a look.

Thanks Stephen,I will check that series out,started bone collector last night and I have a feeling I'm gonna love it :readingtwo:

Glad your enjoying heart shaped box,I thought it was brilliant and didnt come across as 'American'unlike stephen kings books if that makes sense?

Edited by simongrant

Have you read any Lovecraft works?

Hi Mazzie,just checked my shelves as I though I had some lovecraft somewhere but only found an edgar allen poe book,will checkout lovecraft certainly.

Thanks for the suggestion mazzie

How about Dean Koontz? Though you have to be careful, he is said to have written some really, really good horror stories and others not worth mentioning. I have read "The taking" and except for the slightly odd end found it quite good.

Or maybe Bentley Little? "The mailman" actually reminded me a little of King's "Needful things".

How about Dean Koontz? Though you have to be careful, he is said to have written some really, really good horror stories and others not worth mentioning. I have read "The taking" and except for the slightly odd end found it quite good.

Or maybe Bentley Little? "The mailman" actually reminded me a little of King's "Needful things".

Hi Luthien,I bought Odd Thomas last week and its on my TBR shelf,based on the reviews over on amazon it should be a good read.If thats the case I will be getting the next one in the series.Thanks also for those suggestions,will check them out and maybe pop them on my amazon wish list.Forgot to mention needful things is one of my top 3 king novels and I have read them all barring full dark no stars(this too is on my TBR shelf)

Edited by simongrant

I read a lot of horror, and these are authors and books I would definitely recommend:

Richard Adam's The Girl in a Swing

Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes

William P. Blatty's The Exorcist

Anything by Douglas Clegg, but a good book to start with would be Neverland or Nightmare House

John Harwood's The Ghost Writer

Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House

Henry James' The Turn of the Screw

Dean Koontz's The Bad Place or Midnight

Richard Matheson's I Am Legend or Hell House

Dan Simmon's Song of Kali or The Terror

Anything by Peter Straub, but a good book to start with is Ghost Story

I read a lot of horror, and these are authors and books I would definitely recommend:

Richard Adam's The Girl in a Swing

Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes

William P. Blatty's The Exorcist

Anything by Douglas Clegg, but a good book to start with would be Neverland or Nightmare House

John Harwood's The Ghost Writer

Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House

Henry James' The Turn of the Screw

Dean Koontz's The Bad Place or Midnight

Richard Matheson's I Am Legend or Hell House

Dan Simmon's Song of Kali or The Terror

Anything by Peter Straub, but a good book to start with is Ghost Story

Excellent selection!