Male protagonist starts out weak but gets stronger

Hello,

I am looking for a book with the following requirements:

-Male protagonist starts out weak but gets stronger throughout the story

-If possible, a bit of romance(I don't mind a lot though.)

I just finished the 3rd book of "Inheritance" series and I loved it. Currently I'm reading "Belgariad" series, a wonderful series. These books are pretty much my taste, hopefully it would assist the recommendation :)

Thank you very much!

What about Neil Gaiman - Stardust? And I can confidently recommend this one becasue I've just finished it myself! :giggle:

The male protagonist doesn't get physically stronger but his character becomes stronger and he develops a better sense of who he is etc. throughout the book. Also includes romance. I think it would be a good one to try :)

I read book by Robert B. Parker called Wilderness which is like this. I read this book twice. It is about man who is like normal guy ,not too strong or brave but witness to murder and then has to get strong to protect family from killers.

Thanks Hayley, I will be reading "Stardust"(the plot sounds great!) after I finish "Belgariad"

Thanks Paun but I'll pass on that book, I don't really like overly depressing plots, perhaps I'll read it sometimes in the future.