library cards

levens

hiya, anyone else used to use a family members lib cards?, a buried memory just jumped up about the little local libarain getting all huffy not allowing me to take out books on my child card she deemed too adult, then my mom putting them on her card for me. I wonder if they have a policy or it's just up to the individual, the kind of books I read at that age were pretty tame. I'm sure that they have lowered the amount I'm able to take out too...must rememebr to be nice to those libarains... :D

Some libraries have different cards for different groups of people, so they might have a childrens card which is fee free and an adult card which costs xx € a year. So of course the libraries don't want everybody to get a free card for their child and just get books for themselves aswell (for free). Another reason might be, that the children's cards have blocked media from an older age group, so kids won't play +18 video games (e.g) and you just can't book anything on the kid card that's not suitied for this age.

Edited by lopeanha

I remember getting the absolute maximum (I think it was 12 books) on my card at each visit, and running out of library books ways before the next visit! :lol: I would think that the age related thing is probably the cause of the huffiness, although I'm a great believer in children reading widely and as they deem appropriate. It's a very rare child who will continue reading something they aren't enjoying.

I remember when I worked in a public library there were different cards for adults and children, the adult ones were yellow and the childrens ones were pink, you couldn't take out adult books on the childrens ones. I am not sure if they distinguish now, our local library is all self service so don't imagine the machine makes judgement calls but have no idea.

I used to take the maximum out as well Chrissy and still not have enough books to read :D

The children can now choose what pictures they have on their cards, my daughter has a Golden Retriever and the boys have football ones, I always use the correct cards for the kids books for two reasons, so I can track and renew and books they have in their rooms, and also because they don't pay overdue fees or to reserve books..

we needed to have a parent's note when we wanted to check out a book that was deemed to "inappropriate"....I can't tell you the amount of times I forged my mom's signature :giggle2:

anyone else remember the card catalogue? The drawers with REAL CARDS in them? :giggle2:

Slightly off topic but near enough on topic to post here

A friend of mine was saying the other day she lets her two daughters read any book from the childrens section of the library because the Library censor them so she knows they are suitable. I had never heard of this before. Is it true ?

I think I would feel hard done by if I had read a book from the library only to find I hadn't read the whole book.

My library does the same levens, you can't take out books from the adult section if you're under a certain age, which I always thought was stupid and restricts kids from challenging themselves. My Mom or my older sister would have to get books out for me if I wanted one from the adult section.

And Chrissy you're so lucky! We can only take 7 books at a time out in my library!

I've taken out books for me on Xan's card and vice versa before when I've forgotten one or the other of our cards. I've also had to take out a temporary card when I've been returning books but forgotten to take our cards to get new books out. Our library is pretty good about it. :)