A dyslexics first taste of text.

hiya, was wondering if any one here is dyslexic? what your experiences of reading were? I don't have full blown can't read at all type..if I'm tried the words move about but I just use a book mark to stick them down, at school I was behind mainly because the books on offer were boring and they made you read the whole set before moving up so I felt there was no point, I was reading Dick francis at home at 7/8 years old..so my first book was Hot Money what was yours?

Not dyslexic, but probably Aspergers. I think that makes me prefer either short stories or big powerful books like War and Peace: if the theme is obvious I like it. I especially like the long asides (Tolstoy and Victor Hugo are always going off on tangents). But long, subtle books that rely on you remembering names - not so good. :)

Having a senior moment here, I thought by text you meant texting :giggle2: Dyslexia however, is an issue for my eldest grandson & unfortunately, he seems to think it means he's not clever. He avoids books if he can & yet has shown he is talented in the sciences.

He does like the Skullduggery pleasant books.

I like tangents, yes I have trouble recalling names and if the names begin with the same letters like Terry Baker and Tom Barnet (made up!) I get confused or if they are names I have never heard outloud I can't connect with them as phonetics is something I have trouble with, I often know words meanings from breaking them down but not how to say them, I have very few friends who correct my use of language in a negative way.

It's when they string together you have to worry!, most of my family are dyslexic (not dignosed while in school) and have had to work twice as hard to get round 'normal' school work, am sorry to hear he feels he is not clever, the reasoning skills you gain from figuring things out put you ahead of your classmates and really the school/college should be supportive, besides alot of books are on CD, there are products out there to help, which can read for you. I have had a laptop, printer, and extra help while at Uni, having a fund to draw on for anything I may find helpful...sorry got on my soap box there, will get off with these parting websites...http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/ http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/pages/information/teenagers-students.php

He does get a little cheesed off when granny gets on her soap box and starts naming famous dyslexics, Einstein being one. He was impressed though to discover my god daughter was dyslexic & graduated with honours as a physiotherapist.

He does have a good ear for language, with the result that his verbal grades in spanish are better than written. That's more common in places like Gibraltar, not England.

I think he also finds it hard to stomach that his little brother has no trouble at all with literacy.

yeah, I get the look too, that's great am jealous of the language skills, I've an auditory form I.e hate loud noises, places...forget things told verbally, have problems with sequences of numbers like phone numbers...recalling historic dates..difficulty with memory, but it also means I have a lovely time misreading signs...it helps to have a sense of humour

I don't have dyslexia myself, but I can tell you something to cheer you up a little.

I know of someone with dyslexia on a German University studying Japanese. And that's one of the most difficult languages of the world to learn, not to speak (that's rather easy if you can cope with a grammar where you could nearly read the sentences from behind) but to write and read.

So you shouldn't worry. You can do everything you want to.

So you shouldn't worry. You can do everything you want to.

:I-Agree: This is what I tell Adrian, he's always been popular with his teachers and schoolfriends. He is a very sociable boy and not afraid to discuss issues with someone. When he was at primary school he was made a 'Buddy' which is someone who supports younger or less able children to ensure they don't get left out or bullied. He also became house captain in his final year. I think his people skills will probably take hm further than just literacy.

Edited by wiccibat

Brill, from what I have seen of the guys in my year in the most part they are unable to hold a conversation with an adult they don't know so he is way ahead of the game, I'm sure there was a guy who ended up working for sir Allen sugar who had little in terms of qualifications, but had the gift of the gab so to speak :wink: