Poppy's 30 Day Book Challenge

poppy

Day 26. A book that changed your opinion about something

I can't really think of a book that's changed my opinion, but I can think of several that have influenced me.

A Gift of Stories by Julie Leibrich. [/i]This is a collection of life stories of people dealing with a variety of mental illnesses.

'A Gift of Stories' sounds interesting poppy :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'A Gift of Stories' sounds interesting poppy :)

It was Weave, I found it very moving. People's courage in the face of quite big challenges was inspiring.

Day 28. Favourite title

As usual, it's far too restrictive sticking to just one :giggle2:

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer is very appealing and I love the evocative titles of Laurie Lee's books Cider With Rosie and As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning.

Some funny ones I've discovered that I haven't read but just have to mention.

Still Life With Psychotic Squirrel by C.B. Smith

The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke

She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana by Haven Kimmel

Day 29. A book everyone hated but you liked

I can't really think of any apart from books we had to read at school. Everyone else hated them, but to me reading anything for homework was a pleasure.

Books included

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Edited by poppy

Day 29. A book everyone hated but you liked

I can't really think of any apart from books we had to read at school.

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm was my favourite book I had to read at school. I also liked 1984 but did feel that one particular part of it was just plain stupid.

Day 30. Your favourite book of all time

I really can't answer this, there are so many books I've loved but I can't pinpoint just one. I've already mentioned a lot of my favourites but ones I haven't said anything about (I think :blush: ) include ....

A Horsesman Riding By by R.F.Delderfield

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Graham

The Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth Huxley

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald

The Poldarks by Winston Graham

Cats In My Coffee by Joyce Fussey

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker

Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

and ......I could go on forever :rolleyes:

Maybe if I really HAD to narrow it to just one, I would say

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The End.

Edited by poppy

It's ages since I thought about the Poldark books - I loved them! I also liked Winston Graham's stand-alone novels (Marnie and The Walking Stick are two that come to mind); they usually had an unusual twist to them. :)

I loved the Poldark books too, especially the early one's - I got so caught up in them but it's hard to beat 'To Kill a Mockingbird' .. it's an outstanding read. But you know, I get excited at the thought that I might not have read my favourite book yet :D

... but it's hard to beat 'To Kill a Mockingbird' .. it's an outstanding read. But you know, I get excited at the thought that I might not have read my favourite book yet :D

I agree Poppyshake :) There are so many books out there waiting to be discovered, I'm sure there's more favourites amongst them. After all, I only read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' within the last three years.

Thanks to everyone who read my rambles and commented :friends0:

I vaguely remember seeing the TV version of this years ago. I will have to go and investigate the book. :)

I adored the TV series of All Creatures Great and Small too. My Mum used to have some of the books but I don't think she has them any more.

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Graham

Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

CCF is on my Wish List and the other two are on my 'to read' pile - I shall have to go and look up the others now to see if I'd like those! :)

• 6 months later...

Poppy! Such a wonderful thread.

And I could relate to everything you said about Gerald Durrel, Wodehouse, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Gone With The Wind, and of course dear Heidi.

(I did try to multi-quote and reply to the exact things you said - you have a lovely way with words - but ended up messing it up. So this is the summary of that reply!)

And Mister God, This is Anna is something I wanted to read for ages - will look out for it now. As I will the other authors/books you've mentioned.

As for this-

I read it umpteen times and even went as far as to get my own pet goats and name them after the ones in the book. I can still remember most of the goats names now ....Schwanli, Barli, Schneehopli, Schneke, Meckerli, Distelfink,Tolpet. How sad is that? :blush2:

Sad?! I think not! You got your own pet goats? I'm impressed! Mine all lived in my head.

Actually, I'm more than impressed. And I think you may have earned yourself a post-stalker. In an entirely non-creepy way of course.

:friends0:

Edited by bree

poppy, this is a fantastic thread!!!!

Day 21. Favourite book from your childhood

Heidi by Johanna Spyri. I so wanted to be Heidi. Also greatly loved was AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh. A children's book that I didn't read until I was an adult which is another favourite is Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

Oh, good grief! ME Too!! I don't know how many times I read it, loved it. /sigh/ :D That and What Katy Did, and Black Beauty. Oick!

Day 23. A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I started reading this but was rather uncomfortable with the subject material. However, Pontalba, whose opinion I respect highly, is glowing about this book and Nabakov's writing in general, so I still intend to read it when the time is right.

Aw shucks poppy. :blush2: What Kylie said too, I think part of the magic of Nabokov is making an undesirable person such as HH into a sympathatic character, and making the reader question Lo herself.

I never picked up A Painted House, simply because it looked too different from his usual work. But having read some positive comments, I shall add it to my wishlist. :smile:

I've read several Grisham, but not this one, although it's on my shelf....

Day 30. Your favourite book of all time

I really can't answer this, there are so many books I've loved but I can't pinpoint just one. I've already mentioned a lot of my favourites but ones I haven't said anything about (I think :blush2: ) include ....

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The End.

I read Mockingbird when I was a kid, and enjoyed it, but frankly, I hardly remember any details. Loved Gregory Peck as Atticus though. :)

I read most of Delderfield's books waaaay back when, and loved them all. Must reread. Of course the Herriotts as well.

My Mostest favorite book though.....that'd be really hard. Lolita of course, but Malevil by Robert Merle has to be at the top of the list, the main character Emanuel (I may be off a little on the name) was probably the most wonderfully - morally - heroic and just plain tragic character in fiction I can think of. I hardly ever cry, and even though I've read and reread Malevil many times, it always makes me cry.

I'd forgotten all about this thread! It's so nice to find other people who love the same books as you. I'm going to see if I can find Malevil at the library, Pontalba.

Bree and Pontalba, if you want, you could try this challenge too. It's a lot of fun.

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

Edited by poppy

I'm not even sure how to classify the books I've read and pick favourites! Added to that I haven't done any proper reading for a few years now - just plenty of re-reading.

I may be ready to attempt this next year though !