Poppy's 30 Day Book Challenge

poppy

I'm relieved about the reading bit - much as I love books, that would be a monumental commitment!

That's a good idea; I will do. The questions on your list look really interesting, but I will leave it until second half of August, as I'm due to go away next weekend for three weeks and a bit, cycling in Germany. Will be keeping up with reading on the Kindle though (now, that is when it becomes really useful).

Was just reading your book blog and you read at a prolific rate! My reading list for the year looks decidedly pathetic. :blush: Hope you have a lovely time in Germany :friends0:

Edited by poppy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 17. Favourite quote from favourite book

One of my favourite authors is Neil Gaiman and this is from his book Fragile Things

"Stories, like people and butterflies and songbirds' eggs and human hearts and dreams, are also fragile things, made up of nothing stronger or more lasting than twenty-six letters and a handful of punctuation marks. Or they are words on the air, composed of sounds and ideas-abstract, invisible, gone once they've been spoken-and what could be more frail than that? But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."

Isn't that lovely?

One of my favourite authors is Neil Gaiman and this is from his book Fragile Things

"Stories, like people and butterflies and songbirds' eggs and human hearts and dreams, are also fragile things, made up of nothing stronger or more lasting than twenty-six letters and a handful of punctuation marks. Or they are words on the air, composed of sounds and ideas-abstract, invisible, gone once they've been spoken-and what could be more frail than that? But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."

Isn't that lovely?

It is lovely poppy, Neil Gaiman has a beautiful way with words. :)

Isn't that lovely?

Yes it is .. great quote Poppy :)

Day 18. A book the disappointed you

Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson

I so enjoyed Lighthousekeeping, but I found this one just too different and didn't finish it.

I have Lighthousekeeping in my tbr so thats good to hear I had also considered getting Sexing the Cherry but I don't think I will bother now

I have Lighthousekeeping in my tbr so thats good to hear I had also considered getting Sexing the Cherry but I don't think I will bother now

I hope I'm not putting you off something you would enjoy Easy Reader, likes and dislikes are so individual :blush:

Day 19. Favourite book turned into a movie

My favourite would probably be The English Patient by Michael Ondaaje but I also loved the film adaptations of EM Forster's Howard's End and Room With a View. Way up there is also Dr Zhivago.

I agree Ladymacbeth, I can understand why it was studied at school, it was a very valuable lesson on human nature. Another book we studied at school that had a big impact was Black Like Me. It's a true story of a white guy who artificially colours his skin black and travels through the racially segregated south of the US. It's probably pretty dated now but it was a real eye-opener to me at school and helped form my strong anti-rascist opinions.

I agree about Black Like Me. I read it last year, and it was shocking to read about the segregation. Race relations and racism in general is a subject which I find interesting, and like you I have strong anti-racist opinions. I liked Lord of the Flies too - I didn't like it so much when I read it at school, but when I reread it years later, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Day 21. Favourite book from your childhood

Heidi by Johanna Spyri. I so wanted to be Heidi. Also greatly loved was AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh. A children's book that I didn't read until I was an adult which is another favourite is Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

Oh Poppy, how could I have forgotten about Heidi! I dread to think how many times I read that book, I really felt I was Heidi when I read it. Such great characters too with Clara, Peter and Grandfather x

I read it umpteen times and even went as far as to get my own pet goats and name them after the ones in the book. I can still remember most of the goats names now ....Schwanli, Barli, Schneehopli, Schneke, Meckerli, Distelfink,Tolpet. How sad is that? :blush:

Day 23. A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I started reading this but was rather uncomfortable with the subject material. However, Pontalba, whose opinion I respect highly, is glowing about this book and Nabakov's writing in general, so I still intend to read it when the time is right.

I most definitely second Pontalba's high opinion of Lolita, Poppy. The prose is simply superb. I can't remember the actual story disturbing me that much, and I think that was because Nabokov is so brilliant that he managed to make Humbert Humbert a somewhat sympathetic character.

I most definitely second Pontalba's high opinion of Lolita, Poppy. The prose is simply superb. I can't remember the actual story disturbing me that much, and I think that was because Nabokov is so brilliant that he managed to make Humbert Humbert a somewhat sympathetic character.

I thought it must be like that Kylie for so many people to speak so highly of it. A fairly emotive subject.

Day 24. A book that you wish more people would read

A Painted House by John Grisham

I haven't read any of Grisham's legal thriller books, although after reading this book I'm very tempted, he is a very good writer.

This book is set in Arkansas in the early 50's and is told through the eyes of Luke, a seven year old boy. His family are poor cotton farmers and this story tells of his journey from innocence into the harsh realities of life.

I haven't read any of Grisham's legal thriller books, although after reading this book I'm very tempted, he is a very good writer.

This book is set in Arkansas in the early 50's and is told through the eyes of Luke, a seven year old boy. His family are poor cotton farmers and this story tells of his journey from innocence into the harsh realities of life.

I have never read any John Grisham books poppy, 'A Painted House' sounds good :)

Edited by Weave

Day 25. A character who you can relate to the most

I love Lillian Beckwith's semi-autobiographical books about the Hebrides. She lived on a small croft, surrounded by eccentric neighbours and animals. I can relate to that. :D

excellent choice

This is my favourtie Grisham book (I haven't read some of the newer ones)as it is so different to his usual legal thrillers I remember the story being so touching and for me was one of those books that I just wanted to carry on reading until it was finished.

I also remember someone telling me that she didn't like it because she thought

it was unfair that it was left to the boy to write to his brother informing him that he was going to be a father. I tried pointing out that the grandparents didn't want the brother to know as they thought that he may not return home if he knew but we couldn't see eye to eye on that.

I am tempted to re-read this now that I have been reminded of it as my memory of it is sketchy. I remcomend "Skipping Christmas" which is another book where he has moved away from his usual legal thrillers. I did stop reading his books because the legal ones were becoming very samey.

I never picked up A Painted House, simply because it looked too different from his usual work. But having read some positive comments, I shall add it to my wishlist. :)

I think I might too, I really enjoyed his early stuff but gave up when they were getting very samey, worth a try! :readingtwo:

Day 26. A book that changed your opinion about something

I can't really think of a book that's changed my opinion, but I can think of several that have influenced me.

The Bible

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

Mr God This Is Anna by Fynn

A Gift of Stories by Julie Leibrich. This is a collection of life stories of people dealing with a variety of mental illnesses.

Day 27. The most surprising plot twist or ending

There's probably heaps that have surprised me over the years but ones that spring to mind are -

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Atonement by Ian McEwan

and a couple of my favourites :)

Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr Seuss

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak