Poppy's 30 Day Book Challenge

poppy

I haven't read The Remains of the Day but my friend has, and he says it's not Ishiguro's best, but not too bad, however, he thinks the Merchant/Ivory film adaptation is one of his favourites films ever. We watched it again recently and It is a fantastic film. Have you seen it?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently half way through The Remains of the Day and have sort of got a bit stuck with it.

I am finding thats its a good story but just too slow going and I am getting annoyed that he starts telling you something then realises you don't know that story so then has to start again sort of thing.

I haven't watched the film was going to look for it after reading the book

I haven't read The Remains of the Day but my friend has, and he says it's not Ishiguro's best, but not too bad, however, he thinks the Merchant/Ivory film adaptation is one of his favourites films ever. We watched it again recently and It is a fantastic film. Have you seen it?

I am currently half way through The Remains of the Day and have sort of got a bit stuck with it.

I am finding thats its a good story but just too slow going and I am getting annoyed that he starts telling you something then realises you don't know that story so then has to start again sort of thing.

I haven't watched the film was going to look for it after reading the book

Yes, I have seen the movie and loved it. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson were brilliant (as always). I read the book after I'd seen the movie.

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. High Five was the first of hers I read and I wasn't expecting such funny characters. They do become rather formulaic when you've read a few, but very good for a light, very funny, escapist read.

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. High Five was the first of hers I read and I wasn't expecting such funny characters. They do become rather formulaic when you've read a few, but very good for a light, very funny, escapist read.

:friends3:

Actually Sofie, I think it was you that introduced me to her :friends3:

Day 10. Favourite classic book

Really hard this, there are so many. Probably absolute tops would be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, but Howard's End by E M Forster is way up there, along with Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin and Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I've left out the more romantic ones, I'm saving those for later.

Actually Sofie, I think it was you that introduced me to her :friends3:

Day 10. Favourite classic book

Really hard this, there are so many. Probably absolute tops would be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, but Howard's End by E M Forster is way up there, along with Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin and Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I've left out the more romantic ones, I'm saving those for later.

all that matters is you found her :D

would you believe I have had To Kill a Mockingbird for ages, but still haven't read it? :lurker:

Just wondering - with the Janet Evanovich books - do you need to read them in order or can you start mid series? I have thought about trying them but can never find the first one in the library.

you'd have more fun reading them in order, but honestly, you probably wouldn't lose a lot by skipping around

:she:

Day 11. A book you hated

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

I haven't read this since school, but I know I'd dislike it as much now as I did then, as some of it stays quite vividly in my mind. It's not that it's a badly written book, it's a classic and it certainly gets it's point across, but the whole mood of the book was so dark and brooding. I have always had an abhorence for bullying and it was disturbing to realise, that in a given situation, people will revert to savagery.

:she:

Day 11. A book you hated

I haven't read this since school, but I know I'd dislike it as much now as I did then, as some of it stays quite vividly in my mind. It's not that it's a badly written book, it's a classic and it certainly gets it's point across, but the whole mood of the book was so dark and brooding. I have always had an abhorence for bullying and it was disturbing to realise, that in a given situation, people will revert to savagery.

Great post poppy :) I've never read 'Lord of the Flies', I saw the film (which is not the same) and didn't like it, just the idea of it. :)

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Books by Joanna Trollope. I wouldn't say I actually ever loved them, but I did read quite a few at one time. I reread Marrying the Mistress recently and realised I never feel a great deal of sympathy for any of her characters.

The televised adaptations of her books were always rather good though, I thought.

Day 11. A book you hated

I really disliked The Lord of the Flies too but not necessarily for the same reasons. I think I liked the idea but not the writing. That's not to say that I thought it was bad writing, but perhaps it just wasn't a style I liked. Hmm, maybe I should read it again one day, if only to remind myself why I didn't like it. :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree on the Lord of the Flies, Poppy. I hated it too and yet it didn't stop me learning the lessons within. I think it really is an important read and I'm glad we studied it at school even though the feeling it left me with was horror.

I agree Ladymacbeth, I can understand why it was studied at school, it was a very valuable lesson on human nature. Another book we studied at school that had a big impact was Black Like Me. It's a true story of a white guy who artificially colours his skin black and travels through the racially segregated south of the US. It's probably pretty dated now but it was a real eye-opener to me at school and helped form my strong anti-rascist opinions.

Edited by poppy

Day 13. Your favourite writer

Too difficult to narrow down to one. But an author I have discovered recently who has become one of my favourites is Salley Vickers. She has an almost lyrical way of writing and her understanding of human nature and her sensitivity in describing it, is excellent.

Day 15. Favourite male character

Atticus Finch from Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. He is a man of great integrity, morally courageous and a wonderful father, all qualities I admire greatly.

A non-human male character I am inordinately fond of is Tasselhoff Burfoot (Tas), a kender from the Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Day 16 Favourite female character

Anna from Mister God, This is Anna by Fynn.

"At five years Anna knew absolutely the purpose of being, knew the meaning of love and was a personal friend and helper of Mister God. At six Anna was a theologian, mathematician, philosopher, poet and gardener. If you asked her a question you would always find an answer. On some occasions the answer would be delayed for weeks or months; but eventually, in her own good time, the answer would come: direct, simple and much to the point."

To see life through Anna's eyes, with her unfailing curiosity, enthusiasm and wisdom way beyond her years is inspiring. She would be my most beloved character of all time.

.51syHQ3COvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is an amazing thread Poppy. Only just found it, and have absolutely loved reading through it. I know this may sound thick, but are you actually reading a book a day? If so, how on earth do you find the time?

Just to pick up on some of the sub-threads you've started:

I read loads of Mary Wesley some years ago, and loved them all. You've reminded me to go back and explore her again - my memory is another who struggles to remember plots in detail, so rereading can be fun!

My Family and Other Animals is high on my TBR pile - I dipped into it a couple of weeks ago, and loved what I read. A complete contrast to his brother Lawrence, who frankly is the most pompous, pretentious, writer I've ever tried. I was delighted to see that he comes over that way in Gerald's book - it wasn't just me!!

I must give PG Wodehouse another go. I used to love his books in my teens and twenties, but have tried him a couple of times recently, and haven't been able to settle. I remember the Emsworth series being especially good.

I agree about the Stephanie Plum books - at least the early ones. I've found the series has gone on a bit long now.

I came to To Kill A Mockingbird late: I read it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of my son who did it for GCSEs. He loved it, and so did I - straight into my top half dozen all-time books. Don't leave it too long Sofia! Can only agree about Jane Austen (although I marginally prefer S&S to P&P) too, but have recently discovered Virginia Woolf, who now challenges Jane as my favourite classic writer.

I'm intrigued by your comments about Lord of the Flies, not least because it had a similar impact on me. I read it at school too, and absolutely hated it - the one book that I regard as scarring my enjoyment of reading. I couldn't face up to it again for years, but tried it out last year, some 40 years on. Have to admit, I enjoyed it. I think the problem is that it's often thought of as a children's book, and it most certainly is not - it is a novel about children, not for them. But I'm also relieved to read that quite a few others thought/think the same about the book, as for years people have only told me what a brilliant book it was!

Can only say I feel the same as you about Joanna Trollope too!! Looking forward to the rest of your thread now.

Edited by willoyd

Poppy, I've had to put 'Anna' on my wish list, it looks a lovely read, and not many books get 5 stars on Amazon.

I have this one on my TBR shelves. I may have to move it up a shelf. :D

I hope you two read it, let me know if you do, I'm sure you will love it. It's a very short book, but such a joy. I hope people don't get the wrong idea, it's not a preachy book. Anna and the family she adopts are Cockney, working class and friends with prostitutes and strays. Someone described it as an 'Ah! book', one that causes a fundamental change in the reader's consciousness. I go along with that.

This is an amazing thread Poppy. Only just found it, and have absolutely loved reading through it. I know this may sound thick, but are you actually reading a book a day? If so, how on earth do you find the time?

Willoyd!! I can't believe you and I have such similar tastes in books!:friends3: I always thought that I was a bit weird, because although I've read lots of books other people like, no-one seemed to have a lot in common.

And no, you're not being thick because it could easily be read that way, but the challenge is to answer a question each day.

I had to chuckle about your description of Lawrence Durrell, I picked up one of his books once at the library, browsed through it, couldn't make head nor tail of what he was going on about, and promptly put it back again. In Gerald's books, Lawrence comes across as selfish, inconsiderate, self-opinionated and eccentric, but quite funny all the same.

I've only read To Kill a Mockingbird in recent years too. I wish we had studied it at school, it made such a huge impact on me as an adult.

Now you should do your own 30 day challenge and we can see how many more opinions we share :lol:

Edited by poppy

Now you should do your own 30 day challenge and we can see how many more opinions we share :lol:

I'm relieved about the reading bit - much as I love books, that would be a monumental commitment!

That's a good idea; I will do. The questions on your list look really interesting, but I will leave it until second half of August, as I'm due to go away next weekend for three weeks and a bit, cycling in Germany. Will be keeping up with reading on the Kindle though (now, that is when it becomes really useful).

Edited by willoyd